Dog in layout blind with you

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Dog in layout blind with you

Postby rookielabtrainer » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:01 pm

I know this is an old subject, I've done it with dog in layout blind beside me and dog outside of blind. It honestly feels 100 percent safer with dog at my side inside layout blind when I shoot because when I sit up and draw shotgun he gets sorta pinned right beside me shoulder to shoulder and can't break and if he tries to hop up I can feel before he even crawls past my arms (in shooting position). This is hunting with just me and maybe one buddy who we always hunt together with my dog(5yrs). Never bring dog with a group of people (anymore) he's a family house pet yr round.

My question is why does everyone recommend dog blinds and say never put dog inside layout blind. When ur looking down the barrel u can't see ur dog breaking off to ur side but u will instantly feel him trying to crawl up around u to hop out
If anyone has thoughts please post ur side and why
rookielabtrainer
hunter

Re: Dog in layout blind with you

Postby i_willie12 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:56 am

NEVER IN LAYOUT BLIND!!!!!

A dog in a blind with a loaded gun...... Its happened dog hits gun it goes off Or your shooting and dog jumps up and hits you while your pointing a loaded gun, pulling the trigger... What happens if dog knocks you over or off balance and you shoot someone next to you! A dog in the layout blind is the stupidest and most unsafe thing ive ever heard of!!!!! If i got to a hunt and someone had their dog in their layout blind i would leave! Dogs have their own blinds for a reason
Sounds like you need to spend a little more time training the dog to not break then you dont have to worry about it!
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby OmegaRed » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:06 pm

rookielabtrainer wrote:I know this is an old subject, I've done it with dog in layout blind

First sentence was as far as I got
Locked&Loaded wrote:
Ohio- what would it run me to have you drop by to rape my dog and set this boat on fire?
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby Duckdon » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:10 pm

i_willie12 wrote:NEVER IN LAYOUT BLIND!!!!!

A dog in a blind with a loaded gun...... Its happened dog hits gun it goes off Or your shooting and dog jumps up and hits you while your pointing a loaded gun, pulling the trigger... What happens if dog knocks you over or off balance and you shoot someone next to you! A dog in the layout blind is the stupidest and most unsafe thing ive ever heard of!!!!! If i got to a hunt and someone had their dog in their layout blind i would leave! Dogs have their own blinds for a reason
Sounds like you need to spend a little more time training the dog to not break then you dont have to worry about it!

Willie, don't hold back now..........

Willie is right you know...........
Personally, if it was my dog I would train to stay next to me outside the blind, under the throw cover......which is what I do already. If breaking is a problem, a short chain, like 8" short and stake will handle that, until steady. Don
Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 2 Drahthaar's.
Duckdon
hunter

Postby rookielabtrainer » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:47 pm

Good points he might just start staying home on the couch for those late season field hunts
rookielabtrainer
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:31 pm

Or you could buy a Kydex gun sleeve that encases the gun and sits in the side of the blind. The dog can jump up and down on it and the gun can't go off. They use them as gun carriers in pick ups and SUV's for upland hunting all the time. Buy some Kydex make a mold from a 4 X 4 and heat the kydex around the mold to make your own. Screw it to a base where it keeps the gun convenient in the blind. I can come up with another half a dozen easy solutions which allows you to keep the dog in the blind with you. That is without any worry about the dog shooting your gun on accident.

Bella will be hunting out of an Aqua pod with me this year. The pod is set up with a kydex gun holder that guarantees she won't be shooting me in the butt no matter how excited she is or how much she jumps around.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby alindsey1237 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:55 pm

I use a dog blind. I personaly don't think it's safe to have the dog in the blind. I agree with duckdon about the lead. I would just make it 3' long. a couple breaks and finding the end of that lead quickly will cause the dog to self correct very quickly. remember if you are the dog handler your first job is handle the dog second is shoot. if you need to come up on birds and just watch the dog to quickly correct it for a few groups then just put the gun away.
Field Staff- Muddy Water Camo
Dog handler/trainer- Duck Dog Waterfowl tv
alindsey1237
hunter

Postby Jarbo03 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:37 pm

I use a dog blind while hunting. Have hunted with a few people that had their dogs lay underneath the head rest in their layouts. Obviously one of the larger blinds is needed for this, and a smaller stature dog. But, dogs were behind the gun and shooter, and could look down the barrel as they were shooting. From what I saw, dogs marked very good, and were well behaved.
Jarbo03
hunter

Postby FowlPwrcat » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:30 pm

ScaupHunter wrote:Or you could buy a Kydex gun sleeve that encases the gun and sits in the side of the blind. The dog can jump up and down on it and the gun can't go off. They use them as gun carriers in pick ups and SUV's for upland hunting all the time. Buy some Kydex make a mold from a 4 X 4 and heat the kydex around the mold to make your own. Screw it to a base where it keeps the gun convenient in the blind. I can come up with another half a dozen easy solutions which allows you to keep the dog in the blind with you. That is without any worry about the dog shooting your gun on accident.

Bella will be hunting out of an Aqua pod with me this year. The pod is set up with a kydex gun holder that guarantees she won't be shooting me in the butt no matter how excited she is or how much she jumps around.

Does this gun prevent you from muzzle blasting your dog when you putt up to put the hammer of geese? Does it provide a force field over the dog if it breaks while you pull up on geese feet down it the decoys?

Ill pass and get my dog his own blind. People be stupid...
Retrieves for 2011-12 Season: 57
Retrieves for 2012-13 Season: 67
Retrieves for 2013-14 Season: 171
Retrieves for 2014-15 Season: 13
FowlPwrcat
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:16 pm

FowlPwrcat wrote:
ScaupHunter wrote:Or you could buy a Kydex gun sleeve that encases the gun and sits in the side of the blind. The dog can jump up and down on it and the gun can't go off. They use them as gun carriers in pick ups and SUV's for upland hunting all the time. Buy some Kydex make a mold from a 4 X 4 and heat the kydex around the mold to make your own. Screw it to a base where it keeps the gun convenient in the blind. I can come up with another half a dozen easy solutions which allows you to keep the dog in the blind with you. That is without any worry about the dog shooting your gun on accident.

Does this gun prevent you from muzzle blasting your dog when you putt up to put the hammer of geese? Does it provide a force field over the dog if it breaks while you pull up on geese feet down it the decoys?

Ill pass and get my dog his own blind. People be stupid...

The dog rests between my legs with her head on my legs or the side of the boat near my waist. When I sit up to shoot she is no closer to the muzzle of the gun than I am. She is trained to stay still in the boat until released for the retrieve. The simple problems mentioned in this post were solved through application of intelligent design and application there of for the boat / blind and proper dog training.

Some people are engineering types who are able to look at complex problems and solve them easily. Other spout off with no clue what they are talking about. I will let you figure out which one you are. :lol3:
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby Seacoot » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:18 pm

I know of a guy around here who hunted with his dog in a layout blind.I don't know the full story but I do know he shot off his big toe.Just not a good idea in my opinion.
Seacoot
hunter

Postby FowlPwrcat » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:30 pm

Scaup I would beg to differ. What you do is in fact dangerous. I am not a betting man but I would be willing to wager more people who understand dog training would recommend to hunt a dog out of a mutt hut than in their lap...
FowlPwrcat
hunter

Postby FowlPwrcat » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:49 pm

And we are talking about layout blinds.

IF we were talking about a layout boat I would A- have a momarsh with a spot for the dog BEHEND me or B bring in a marsh stand or C- figure something else out!
FowlPwrcat
hunter

Postby BBK » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:50 pm

i_willie12 wrote: A dog in the layout blind is the stupidest and most unsafe thing ive ever heard of!!!!!

I second that.
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:17 pm

If I don't post up anymore after the weekend you will know it did not go well.

Hunting is dangerous. Driving is dangerous. How do we mitigate for that danger. We impliment safety plans and add safety equipment to our systems. Most of our hunts will be out of the sled or off shore once we have paddled out to the spot. A few will incorporate Bella in the pod with me. The gun sheath completely blocks the trigger and safety mechanisms on the gun. She can do anything she wants and won't be able to off safe or fire the weapon. It is an O/U by the way. The training in the pod has gone great. We will be adding ducks and shooting them to the process this weekend. The focus will still be on training and not on killing ducks until she gets the entire process down pat.

The key it to take the steps necessary to mitigate it down to a very low real world risk. Things like having a lifejacket on while paddling and using the pod as a layout. Gun sheath with the muzzle pointed in a safe direction. Taking the shells out of the O / U whenever I leave the pod for any reason, and a long list of other things that I have incorporated into my hunting methods. People who get shot by their own dogs are quite frankly careless with gun safety. No one in their right mind leaves a loaded gun in a blind or boat with a dog left behind to mess around and knock it over, then jump all over it. I have seen it plenty of times and don't hunt with people who don't practice sound weapons control and safety.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:32 pm

I have thought about the idea of doing it with one of the new double blinds on the market. Dog/s on one side me on the other. One brand has a separating wall and it wouldn't be that hard to make a latch for the door on the dog side.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:56 pm

I dont understand why if you can teach a dog to sit still in a layout blind with you, you just cant put the dog in its own layout blind.... :huh: :huh: Its not that hard... Place lay stay.. make dog steady no issues
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:22 pm

Exactly.

I have a plastic carry sled on the way from Cabela's. Once I get a cover made for it and ghillied up I will be working with Bella on staying still in the sled next to the pod for hunting. The sled can float 180 lbs of gear. One 60 lb lab will be no problem at all. I am working different options and methods for having her hunting in deeper water condtions. Training in the pod is one. The sled is another. I am also building a dog stand for other conditions. They key is having the versatility to hunt any conditions you face.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby FowlPwrcat » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:26 am

So what you are saying is you have not even tried to hunt the dog out of the boat with you, you are just training for it, and you still say it is safe. You my friend have an interesting thought process.

How we mitigate danger in life is by preventing dangerous situations from ever occurring. I have no problem with the dog being in the boat with you to get to your spot. That makes sense. I completely agree with you sheathing your gun to prevent your dog from shooting you, thats great. What is not great nor does it make sense is you hunting your dog in front of you and shooting over him.

Bella Hunting in the pod with you in your lap is a bad idea...

As for the pod, you are getting close, i think it may work. A dog my have trouble staying stable. That is something i have not tried but would be interested to here about the outcome. Try that before you put Bella in the boat and shoot over her.
FowlPwrcat
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:24 am

i_willie12 wrote:NEVER IN LAYOUT BLIND!!!!!

X2!!!
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:30 am

I will hunt an experienced, steady dog out of a layout pirouge though, but the dog has his own place behind me. he is boxed in and can't go anywhere...he's looking out of a hole in the ghillie.

I'd never hunt a dog beside me or in my lab in a layout. Never. Too dangerous.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Return to Hunting Dog Forum