Puppy teething chews- help

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Puppy teething chews- help

Postby tntfitness » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:16 am

My vet is not a hunting dog vet and my husband has me paranoid about giving our puppy the wrong things to chew on... Scared that she won't be a good hunting dog if we have her chew on the wrong things... What is ok for her to chew on at 4 months?

She is my first dog and I feel like a new parent all over again. :)
tntfitness
Newb

Re: Puppy teething chews- help

Postby sharris » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:21 am

I use Kong toys and nylabones when they are young and then rawhides when they got a bit older. Some pups have a preference for one and not the other. Don't let your pup chew on bumpers. In my house items such as shoes, furniture, and my kids stuffed animals and other toys are off limits.
sharris
hunter

Postby Edge » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:37 am

I have started buying frozen stew bones, they are way cheaper than the Dog Bones that are five dollars or more.
Edge
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:44 am

Let the dog be a dog!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

People worry far to much about chewing on items.. Like said no bumpers or anything that looks like a bumper... but when i have puppies in the house there are toys all over the place! Give them toys to chew on or they will find something to chew on!! :eek: :eek:
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby B.E.Nelli » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:27 pm

+1 on nylabones. I got her the biggest one they sold for mastiff sized dogs. She can't get enough leverage to actually bite any pieces off. Which keeps her occupied longer cause she just keeps trying.

But yeah, good luck if you just try to avoid giving them anything at all. A dog will either chew on what you teach them to chew on, or find something else to chew on. You can't fight that urge.
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby MN BMX Dad » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:23 pm

Our pup loves Elk antlers. We got them at the pet store and last forever. He also likes destroying sticks. Chews em up and spits them out. I gave up trying to keep them away from him. We basically have chew toys all over and he goes from toy to toy when he gets bored. Retrieving things like bumpers stay put away until it's time for some work.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4
MN BMX Dad
hunter

Postby Duck Diver » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:35 am

MN BMX Dad wrote:Our pup loves Elk antlers. We got them at the pet store and last forever. He also likes destroying sticks. Chews em up and spits them out. I gave up trying to keep them away from him. We basically have chew toys all over and he goes from toy to toy when he gets bored. Retrieving things like bumpers stay put away until it's time for some work.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

Everytime my pup comes back inside he has a stick for me to clean up later..same thing
Duck Diver
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum