Do you nick if dog is in the water

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, HNTFSH, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Do you nick if dog is in the water

Postby TX&MOJames » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:50 am

I have a 2 1/2 year old lab, I started her training and then sent her off to school for 3 months when she was 8 months old. As with most trainers after the first month I went out there every week to train with her, actually I think I was being trained as much as the dog. Anyway at one point we were doing water retrieves and the trainer told me don't correct her while she is in the water, he said we want her to feel safe in the water and we don't want to create any hesitation for her to get in the water. She is a very hard charger and never hesitates to hit the water. I assumed that the no correcting rule in the water was for a period of time and that once she was completely comfortable in the water that you could probably correct her if needed. Up until this weekend, I have never really needed to correct her in the water. This weekend she was in the water and I tweeted once to stop her and cast her but she didn't stop. I tweeted again without any correction, she stopped and I casted her. But that got me thinking if it was ok to correct her in the water since she didn't stop and turn on the first tweet. Wanted to get your thoughts.......

Appreciate it
TX&MOJames
hunter

Re: Do you nick if dog is in the water

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:57 am

More training history would be good.
Swimby-
Waterforced-
(?)
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Edge » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:21 am

I correct them in water, that is when I need most, when you can't get to em. But I am very carefull to not over correct. Most new trainers over use the coller, IMO. At 2 1/2 I do not think there is any danger of you making that dog scared of the water, in fact, I have never heard that said before. I see some guys burning the dog all the way to a pile of bumpers which is something I would never do. We all have differant methods.
Edge
hunter

Postby TX&MOJames » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:34 am

She has been force fetched
TX&MOJames
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:47 am

normally when the dog is in the water i turn the collar down 1.. So if dog is a 3 on land they are a 2 in water. Collar seems to get better skin contact when in the water Some dogs give a vocal bark if i dont remember to turn down and hit them with the land number it seems I drop it down 1 i can see they are getting the juice and the correction
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:51 am

TX&MOJames wrote:She has been force fetched

Does this mean the dogs' been through every component of FF' including pile work?

Guess what I'm getting at is making collar corrections in H2o before things are fairly squared away on land first.

Don't understand the "let the dog get comfortable in water" before making collar corrections thing - like perhaps the dog, (at 2-1/2 yrs. old hasn't been in water much).
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby TX&MOJames » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:51 am

Swampbilly - The dog has been through all components of Force Fetch including pile work. She is 2 1/2 years old now, went through force fetch around 9 months old and that was also when the comment was made to me that you don't want to correct her in the water. The comment has stuck with me and it has never been an issue because the dog is very solid. This weekend she didn't obey the first tweet which is uncommon so it made me think that I should correct her but I didn't because of the comment the trainer made to me back then plus we were hunting and wasn't that worried about it. She is very comfortable in the water and I feel confident that correcting her in the water at this point wouldn't have any type of negative effect on her but just wanted the groups opinion.

Thanks
TX&MOJames
hunter

Postby gonehuntin' » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:11 pm

I nick em' anywhere. Doesn't matter. If he's collar broken, he's collar broken.
I hate seeing a game bird die of natural causes, unless I naturally cause it.
gonehuntin'
hunter

Postby Duckdon » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:03 pm

I correct with the e-collar in the water, same as on land. My dogs are very comfortable in the water, same as on land. Don
Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 2 Drahthaar's.
Duckdon
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:49 am

TX&MOJames wrote:Swampbilly - The dog has been through all components of Force Fetch including pile work. She is 2 1/2 years old now, went through force fetch around 9 months old and that was also when the comment was made to me that you don't want to correct her in the water. The comment has stuck with me and it has never been an issue because the dog is very solid.

Gotcha'
This weekend she didn't obey the first tweet which is uncommon so it made me think that I should correct her but I didn't because of the comment the trainer made to me back then plus we were hunting and wasn't that worried about it. She is very comfortable in the water and I feel confident that correcting her in the water at this point wouldn't have any type of negative effect on her but just wanted the groups opinion.
Thanks

Gotcha' again :thumbsup:
Want to share something-
I Duckhunt a lot too, and the last thing I want to have to fiddle around with is a transmitter. I used to not even care whether or not the collar was on the dog while huntin', but have since then realized that there is never a "bad time" to get a proper correction in whether you're huntin' or walking the dog right outside of PETA headquarters.
If the opportunity presents itself to make a proper correction- take it.
Hard to simulate that very same situation in the training field.

Please understand that this "part of the group" isn't going to comment much untill a little more training insight/history is out here.
Respectfully-
The fact that you're dog is 2-1/2 yrs. old doesn't add up to a hill of beans, because there's a LOT of folks who begin training late, (for whatever reasons), and some wind up FF-ing at 2-1/2 yrs. In fact, some dogs, (for whatever reasons), don't even hear a SIT command untill the dogs' been self employed for years and has finally become a "nuisance" around the house :wink:
Sending the dog "off to school" @ 8mos. doesn't mean that the dog has completed FF', CC'd, and can accept collar corrections-anywhere .
So I hope asking for some additional info wasn't an inconvenience.

To anwer your question, (finally), like the others mentioned- YES, it's ok to make a collar correction in water.

Gotta' tell you though-
After reading your post, I somehow got the "crazy idea" that you've not ever made a collar correction in,.. or used it in water-->ever :wink:
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Hunting Dog Forum