Whistle Command Help

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, swampbilly 1980, captainkevan

Whistle Command Help

Postby Morphsuit » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:05 pm

I've been working on whistle commands with my pup. I'm working on HERE with him. He is on a remote sit, and the program I follow says to nick him when I say HERE then 3 tweets. I've been doing that, but he want's to only do it sometimes. Lets say 5 times in a row he will come to 3 tweets, no body language or verbal HERE, just 3 tweets. Then I will scoot up and I'll give 3 tweets and he just looks at me, then I'll give 3 tweets again and he will come. Then I'll do it again and he will come like 5 seconds later.

I can't tell if the guy in the video is nicking him when he gives the 3 tweets for here or not, but I haven't. So, any advice?

Thanks!
Morphsuit
hunter

Re: Whistle Command Help

Postby O.D.Lid » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:28 pm

if your pup is still young just make it fun :wink: get down on his/her level and be excited like you have something he wants
Last edited by O.D.Lid on Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If the ocean was made of WHISKEY and I was a DUCK I'd swim to the bottom and get all F!@#% up!
O.D.Lid
hunter

Postby Duckdon » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:29 pm

I forget, How old is your dog?

I would be using a long check cord to enforce, reeling him in, on the "Here" command until I knew that the dog understands he is to come to you when you say "Here".
Then I would start using the check cord and the e-collar at the same time but I wait until I need to give the command the second time. Let him come with out any force on the first command.....enforce on the second "Here" command.
Then I would teach the "Here" and the 3 tweet whistle along with the check cord and or e-collar to enforce on the second "Here" command.
Just keep building one step at a time. Once he understands the 3 tweets you can start dropping the verbal "Here" once in a while until he makes the transition. I always use non verbal commands, hand gestures with most of my commands. Don
Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 2 Drahthaar's.
Duckdon
hunter

Postby Morphsuit » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:44 pm

Duckdon wrote:I forget, How old is your dog?

I would be using a long check cord to enforce, reeling him in, on the "Here" command until I knew that the dog understands he is to come to you when you say "Here".
Then I would start using the check cord and the e-collar at the same time but I wait until I need to give the command the second time. Let him come with out any force on the first command.....enforce on the second "Here" command.
Then I would teach the "Here" and the 3 tweet whistle along with the check cord and or e-collar to enforce on the second "Here" command.
Just keep building one step at a time. Once he understands the 3 tweets you can start dropping the verbal "Here" once in a while until he makes the transition. I always use non verbal commands, hand gestures with most of my commands. Don

He's 11 months old.

Well, he will come to me every single time I say Here.

It's just when I don't say the word here and only give 3 tweets, that's when he only comes sometimes. I've been saying Here then 3 tweets and he will come. It's just when I don't say Here he seems confused.
Morphsuit
hunter

Postby O.D.Lid » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:00 pm

tweet first then the word come after awhile he'll just come on the tweet I bet ya :lol:
If the ocean was made of WHISKEY and I was a DUCK I'd swim to the bottom and get all F!@#% up!
O.D.Lid
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:36 am

Don't want to take you out of what your program is telling you to do, but the way I see it is that you layer whistle commands just like you "layer" any aversives. And if it were me, I'd get either a 30ft. checkcord on the dog with a choker or just a c.cord by itself and from a remote, command HERE, hit the whistle and use the checkcord to get him moving. Once the dog "gets that", then I'd make the collar a "replacement" for the checkcord, but not until the dog begins to move upon the whistle every time without the verbal. Incorporate the *nick with the checkcord.
You don't use the collar to teach- you re-enforce with it.
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:20 am

we pat the side of our leg as a come here.
we whistle a come here
we call "come here"
I personally believe if you have the visual command working...supplement it with the whistle eg whistle while patting leg.
that way the dog sees command and reacts while hearing command.
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum