Best dog for ducks and quail

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, swampbilly 1980, captainkevan

Best dog for ducks and quail

Postby ks_waterfowler » Sat Jan 01, 2005 12:58 am

THinking of a wirehair. Only problem is that I hear they will only hunt for one person period. I think a pointing lab carries around too much weight to hunt all day quail hunting.

I am looking for a pointing dog and a good retriever. Our brittany would be the best of both worlds if he could learn to hold his points. Also hate taking him out when it is really cold.

Any ideas? Is there a breed out there I am missing?
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby duckaholic_16p » Sat Jan 01, 2005 11:07 pm

i have a weimarianer and a choco lab. both are great dogs. both retrieve and both will point.. My lab is actually pointing better than my pointer right now. If i had to chose between the 2 i would go for the lab. the weim just doesnt have the coat to put up with the cold weather. Alot of people bash the weims but i think alot of mine. I wouldnt trade her for any other kind of pointer. just my thoughts
duckaholic_16p
hunter

Postby big_countryks » Sun Jan 02, 2005 12:16 pm

Same here. My weimaraner is awesome in the field. I took her duck hunting this morning...she wouldn't hold still and kept whining when I would call. She's pretty new at the duck hunting as am I, but it was still pretty frustrating. She also doesnt handle the cold very well, especially when wet...so I would have to second that weimaraners would not make very good duck hunters.
"When the Buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice, for we are hunters, and we want our freedom..." (Sitting Bull)
"Republicans believe every day is 4th of July, but Democrats believe every day is April 15." (Ronald W. Reagan)
big_countryks
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:30 am

KS- get a dharhaar or however you spell them and let me know how you like it. I think that will be my next dog....

Best of both worlds!
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:20 am

Wirehair sounds like a good choice too me. Great upland and can stand the cold a whole lot better than other upland breeds. Make sure you talk to the breeder to see about the dog's coat though. Since you are a big duck hunter you're going to want a good thick coat. Not all wire's have as thick of coats as others. This could also be my next dog since I'm getting into duck hunting more.
Brian
"Because a duck is just a 3 pound critter"
Keith Allen
gsphunter
hunter

Postby QuillGordon » Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:44 pm

Old Yellar. The only dog you'll ever need
Last edited by QuillGordon on Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
QuillGordon
hunter

Postby IBBoykin » Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:27 pm

All jokes aside, take a look at a boykin spaniel. This is a flushing breed that will retrieve ducks with the best of them. It is nicknamed the dog that won't rock the boat due to it's size. You can pick the dog, duck, and all up with one hand to get them back in the boat if you have too.
www.boykinspaniel.org
www.rockncreekkennels.com
www.boykinspaniel.com
www.midsouthboykinspaniel.net
Breeding and Training Boykin Spaniels, a True American Gundog
IBBoykin
hunter

Postby mfetter » Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:55 pm

The GWP or Drahthaar would be a good dog for what you want. If you consider this dog I would strongly suggest you take the time to research both of the breeds. THEY ARE TWO SEPERATE BREEDS. I currently have a GSP and have a drahthaar puppy on the way--will be mine in two months. I decided on a drahthaar because I do alot of upland and just as much duck. The gsp isnt as wild about the ducks in 10 degree weather as I am so I needed a dog that I know will handle whatever temp I decide to go in.

MAKE SURE YOU DO THE RESEARCH AND FULLY UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU ARE GETTING.

98-if you are looking for more info on the drahthaar you can PM me and I will go through everything that I have learned in the past two years of research GOOD AND BAD
mfetter
hunter

Postby Takem' » Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:50 pm

I have no problems at all duck hunting w/ my weim.As long as water temps hold to mid to upper 40's or higher he retreives as good as any lab
Takem'
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:01 pm

mfetter- I have two young dogs right now but in a year or so I might be ready to buy a dh. I have heard they are nothing short of amazing. They run the field like a shorthair and push ice for geese like a chessy. Almost sounds too good to be true?
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby mfetter » Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:10 pm

They are both of those, but most will rip one arm off give it back to you then go for the other. I am young and have no kids and am getting married soon, and starting my own business so I was looking for a protective dog that would cater to both my upland and duck hunting needs---after TONS of research the drahthaars were my final decision. They do come with their flaws, just like every dog, but there are many amazing aspects to them as well. Again make sure you fully understand what you are getting if you decide to go with one.

:mrgreen:
mfetter
hunter

Postby QuillGordon » Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:29 am

IBBoykin, were you by chance featured on "A Dog's Life" with Jameson Parker???
QuillGordon
hunter

Postby IBBoykin » Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:15 pm

NO!!!

All the hunting breeds out there are great in their own right. I just happen to be as passionate about Boykins and Tollers.
Breeding and Training Boykin Spaniels, a True American Gundog
IBBoykin
hunter

Postby Browningshooter » Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:56 pm

Get a German shorthair point and retrieve upland birds and love water although I haven't taken mine duck hunting because he is only 5 months and i want to make sure he hunts well on upland birds which so far he does great he pointed quail at 4 months and retrieves everything plus he does exactly what I tell him almost all the time. Plus thier cheap to mine was only $40 although the guy wanted $100 but he was my neighbor so he gave me a deal. but I've never heard of people wanting over $200 except for show dogs.
hunt eat sleep(after season)
Browningshooter
hunter

Postby mfetter » Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:55 pm

YOU HAVENT HEARD OF SOMEONE ASKING MORE THAN 200 FOR A SHORTHAIR :eek: -----I would look at anyone breeding and testing through NAVHDA 200 would be a deal. Almost anyone that breeds shorthairs and has proven lines though most any type of testing would ask more than 200.
mfetter
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:52 pm

$40 dollars is truly unbelievable! $100 is unbelievable! I have seen shorthairs without AKC papers go for $150. I'll say just the opposite that you did. I have never seen any registered shorthairs for under $350. If your neighbors sire and dam are both registered dogs with any kind of hunting abilities, then he is getting ripped off.
Brian
"Because a duck is just a 3 pound critter"
Keith Allen
gsphunter
hunter

Postby Rat Creek » Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:53 pm

The Boykin, GWP or Drahthaar sound like good choices. Upland and Water don’t typically mix well. I own both a GSP and Labs.

The GSPs are great dogs, but are not made for the cold at all. Their short coats and light body structures suit them well for covering the fields and not overheating. I would never put mine in cold water and expect her to sit still.

On the other hand, my labs have been wonderful water dogs. When the temperatures dip, I put neoprene on them just to make sure they stay comfortable, but forget about them in the upland. They will go and try, but if the temperature goes up at all (above 45 degrees), there is a real risk of heat stroke. Kind of like taking an offensive lineman for a day long run.

Hopefully, it will be many years before I look for a new dog, but when that time comes, I will definitely look into the dogs mentioned here.
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter

Postby Gordy » Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:13 pm

Having owned and trained both, I would go with the dog that suits the majority of your hunting best, yet can get the other job done as well.
I flat out love GWP's, but they will never match a Lab in the marsh. I have seen some very nice Pointing Labs, but they are a poor second to GWP's when it comes to quail.
If you hunt waterfowl the most, go with the PL, if it is upland you do the most, go with the GWP.
Make it fun!
Gordy
Newb

Postby HatterWayne » Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:15 am

I have a lab but use my GSHP "Mojoman" for birding and is my #1 waterfowl retreiver until the freezing water temps and ice occurs. He loves it. One thing I will mention, I DO NOT have my GSHP tails cropped if I'm going to use them for waterfowling, . . . like any water dog, they use it as a "rudder".

HatterWayne
Pro Hunter

Postby birdgunner04 » Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:35 am

A pudlepointer (thats where the wirehair comes from) Jameson Parker from A dogs life on tv owns them. A drathaar and a wirehair are the same breed no matter what some people think. Check with the registery in Germany
to all I toast (More ducks and better #$&%@)
birdgunner04
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:30 pm

lab.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby mfetter » Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:30 pm

birdhunter-- "A drahthaar is a wirehair"

That would be a long argument and would end up no where. :umm:
mfetter
hunter

Postby birdgunner04 » Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:59 pm

yes I am well aware of that!
to all I toast (More ducks and better #$&%@)
birdgunner04
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:28 am

Lab. As long as you keep him in shape and take him for walks and such hell do fine i have 1 i use for quail duck pheasent chukar and geese and hes awsome i have also seen other labs do good for quail.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby ccdux » Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:04 am

Does anyone no much about the Wired Hair Pointing Griffon? I've done some research, and they sound good for ducks and upland. But I would like to hear from some one who is not a breeder.

thanks
Take 'em
ccdux
hunter

Next

Return to Hunting Dog Forum