Best dog for ducks and quail

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, swampbilly 1980, captainkevan

Postby mfetter » Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:21 am

I have hunted behind and helped train several. IMHO AND AGAIN THIS IS JUST MY OPONION--All WPgs that I have helped train have all been really slow to learn, and not real strong on pointing or use of nose. When you do find a GOOD breeder they tend to run at prices that IMO you could have a dog with alot more drive and desire. To me there is nothing more impresive than a dog that will hunt and think and learn on his own. A dog that has to be directed to where a duck has fallen every time shows both lack of desire and laziness. I would be cautious with this breed just becasue of the desire factor. As far as being able to use them for waterfowl--There would be no problem with using one since they have the wire coat---with proper introduction to water they should swim like a fish.

Hope this helps---What other breeds have you looked at? There are many versatile dogs to choose from that will exceed in both waterfowl and upland

If you havent looked into these I would

Drahthaar
wirehair
Pudelpointer
GSP--Although if you plan to use for waterfowl look for a breeder who has dogs in the 70-80lb range
mfetter
hunter

Postby ccdux » Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:02 pm

Thanks for the info, I lke being able to hear the good and bads about the breeds. I have checked on Drather (sorry for spelling) and pudelpointers. I have heard that Drathers dont make good family dogs. And thePudelpointers are stubborn.
I have never trained a hunting dog. I primarily hunt waterfowl, and only upland a few times a year. I would like to have a dog that is able to do both. I also have a wife with alergies, so a low shedding dog is prefered.
Does anyone have any ideas.

Thanks

P.S.
No I'm not going to get rid of the wife
Take 'em
ccdux
hunter

Postby mfetter » Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:40 am

I am not sure that I would agree with the the DD not being good family dogs. They tend to be more agressive, but that you should be able to control witht he proper disapline. There is a really good wesight that you should take a look at ---versatiledogs.com--it is another forum/wesight that has tons if great information.
mfetter
hunter

Postby Rat Creek » Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:39 pm

This one is easy. You need two dogs. Get a GSP for your upland needs. They don’t shed much and are very good family dogs, but they don’t do well in the cold. They are called short hairs for a reason. No undercoat or anything like that.

And get a lab. How can anyone go wrong with a lab, other than the shedding thing? Oh well.

I have this combo and it is pretty darn nice. The dogs get along and basically have the run of the house. I have had them out together pheasant hunting and they do pretty well together. The GSP covers ten times more ground, but the lab has the better nose when it comes to retrieving.

When the weather turns cold, the GSP doesn’t go on the duck hunts. Her short hair and light body weight just isn’t made for it. She would love to go, but I don’t want to put her in harms way.

My 2 cents.
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter

Previous

Return to Hunting Dog Forum