Layout blind work - Video

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Layout blind work - Video

Postby hockeynut » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:44 pm

Less than three weeks away to the season opener and I just bought a layout blind yesterday and just completed our first day of training with it! I think she did ok…got some things to still work on tho. Trying to mimic the exact vocabulary I will be using in the field so she gets use to everything. I hope she does well come opening day cuz I will be one nervous nelly!

I took this video on my phone – quality is not so good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyVm78fP ... load_owner
hockeynut
hunter

Re: Layout blind work - Video

Postby Duck_Popper » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:54 pm

Nice video. About as realistic as It gets there.
Duck Popper: Congrats man and guess you need to change your name to "Duck Poppa"

"I only want three things out of a shotgun. Boom,Boom,Boom!" _The Duck Commander
Duck_Popper
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:17 am

i like it. and the pup was nice and steady
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby B.E.Nelli » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:38 am

Looks great! Is this her first season hunting. Just keep doin this drill to hopefully engrain that even if there are 50 honkers finishing at 10 yards that she needs to stay steady.
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby labman63 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:29 am

Nice! I'm getting ready to do the same thing with a 11 month old. I bet it don't go that smooth at first for me. One constructive criticism I saw is you let the dog go behind you. Say the bird is just crippled and you are in heavy cover and dog drops bird. Now you gotta get up and go searching while birds are coming! Been there done that. I try to always finish the dog in front,usually right in front of the dog blind so I take bird and say kennel. After a few hunts you won't even need to say kennel. I had a male that went right to the dog blind and stuck his head back out to give me the bird everytime. Looks like a very nice dog.
labman63
hunter

Postby hockeynut » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:10 am

Thanks for the support!! It will be interesting once the ducks come in and see if she remains steady. I like that idea of stopping in her in front of me – I use to have her stop in front of me during pile work and I know I can get her to do that again. Good thing you mentioned that now before the season started! Thanks.
hockeynut
hunter

Postby ibedamn » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:05 am

I really like the way you shot three times. Much more realistic than I have been doing. Something I will have to change up from time to time. :clapping:
ibedamn
hunter

Postby labman63 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:13 am

hockeynut wrote:Thanks for the support!! It will be interesting once the ducks come in and see if she remains steady. I like that idea of stopping in her in front of me – I use to have her stop in front of me during pile work and I know I can get her to do that again. Good thing you mentioned that now before the season started! Thanks.

I normally put the front of the dog blind even with my head laying down. That way dog is slightly behind when you sit up and when they come to heel with bird they are right in front of dog blind and I don't have to even get up. Just take bird and say kennel. Good luck
labman63
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum