First seasoned Passes

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, swampbilly 1980, captainkevan

First seasoned Passes

Postby rivercountry » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:45 pm

We ran our first HRC hunt test this weekend and had a great time. The hospitality was awesome and everybody was friendly. We ran seasoned and went two for two on passes and it was a great feeling. When I left that clubhouse on Sunday, I was on cloud nine which was a huge change from the case of nerves I had on Saturday morning. I could really feel the pressure as a first time handler when I made it to the line but my pup pulled through the first land series with ease picking up the marks and lining out the blind. The remaining three series were not flawless but that first one helped settle my nerves quite a bit. It was far from the best work we have ever done but Gunner ran great all the same. He showed me that his abilities as a gun dog are a little more advanced than mine as a handler which taught me I need to trust him and not try to out think him. I also ran friend of mines dog on Sunday and got her first started pass due to him being sick. I saw some things that we will definitely be working on before we go back and run for his HR title in November. I was surprised at how nice the pro handlers were. Several of them came up and sat down with us and introduced themselves and talked and gave me advice. At least twice I turned around to find my 7 year old sitting on top of one of the pro’s big aluminum rigs talking up a storm. I did have to Welch on the deal he made when he walked up leading a dog with a lanyard, duck call, and whistle around his neck. I ask my little man what he was doing and he said, he told me I could run his dog and I look and there was the handler laughing. He said your son wants to run him for me. I am not exactly sure but I think somewhere in that deal he actually traded my dog off for a chance to run one himself. Here’s a big thanks to all the great folks in HRC that I met this weekend, me and my family looked forward to hanging out with yall again soon.
True Happiness is in a flooded rice field puttin em in the decoys
User avatar
rivercountry
hunter
 
Posts: 824
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:25 am
Location: North Carolina


Re: First seasoned Passes

Postby rivercountry » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:50 pm

Image
Saturday and Sunday seasoned passes
Image
Image
Her first started pass
True Happiness is in a flooded rice field puttin em in the decoys
User avatar
rivercountry
hunter
 
Posts: 824
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:25 am
Location: North Carolina

Re: First seasoned Passes

Postby ibedamn » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:07 pm

Congratulations Rivercountry. I know you are proud. Those are really nice people at that club. I had planned on going to that one myself, but had to work on Sunday, and we got a chance to bust some geese on Saturday. Hate I missed it, but it was a good hunt. My dog got her 1st wing broke cripple which was great training experience for her. Not to mention steadiness, with 50 honkers circling.
User avatar
ibedamn
hunter
 
Posts: 699
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:06 am
Location: NC

Re: First seasoned Passes

Postby rivercountry » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:20 pm

ibedamn wrote:Congratulations Rivercountry. I know you are proud. Those are really nice people at that club. I had planned on going to that one myself, but had to work on Sunday, and we got a chance to bust some geese on Saturday. Hate I missed it, but it was a good hunt. My dog got her 1st wing broke cripple which was great training experience for her. Not to mention steadiness, with 50 honkers circling.

Thank you very much.
Like I said we were far from flawless but, I am very proud of him. I guess training 5 sometimes 6 days a week does pay off. :biggrin: They were really great folks and the president of the club never passed up a chance to stop and make sure we were enjoying ourselves and to thank us for comming.
True Happiness is in a flooded rice field puttin em in the decoys
User avatar
rivercountry
hunter
 
Posts: 824
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:25 am
Location: North Carolina

Re: First seasoned Passes

Postby copterdoc » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:30 pm

That's awesome!

Congratulations!!!!!
User avatar
copterdoc
hunter
 
Posts: 5813
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:55 pm

Re: First seasoned Passes

Postby Rutin » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:12 pm

Very nice! Big congrats on passing the tests
Sargent Taylor's Hevi-Shot (Sarge)
User avatar
Rutin
hunter
 
Posts: 288
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:01 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: First seasoned Passes

Postby go get the bird » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:49 pm

Rutin wrote:Very nice! Big congrats on passing the tests

X2!!!
MackieKnife wrote:The moral of the story is...I'm retarded.
User avatar
go get the bird
hunter
 
Posts: 3161
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:12 pm

Re: First seasoned Passes

Postby loner » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:59 pm

2 fer 2 only 2 more to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
loner
hunter
 
Posts: 180
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:33 pm

Re: First seasoned Passes

Postby krazybronco2 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:36 am

awesome congrates on the passes.
User avatar
krazybronco2
hunter
 
Posts: 1020
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:09 am
Location: Grovetown GA

Re: First seasoned Passes

Postby dogyak » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:36 am

Congrat's River , love seeing straight hunting dogs getting their due . Are you coming to the hunt test in Mossy pond retrievers in Ga . It's being hosted by NEFHRC . I will be running one dog in season , she only needs one more pass to HR . Could have got it last spring season , but I pulled her because she cheated the bank . She would have passed , already did the land series with outstanding dog work . The water-- already did the blind with no trouble , but that double , a couple of dogs did it and pass , but I called her back and put the lead on and thank the judges .Didn't want to start a habit .Again congrats :thumbsup:
dogyak
hunter
 
Posts: 985
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:18 pm
Location: FL

Re: First seasoned Passes

Postby rivercountry » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:54 pm

dogyak wrote:Congrat's River , love seeing straight hunting dogs getting their due . Are you coming to the hunt test in Mossy pond retrievers in Ga . It's being hosted by NEFHRC . I will be running one dog in season , she only needs one more pass to HR . Could have got it last spring season , but I pulled her because she cheated the bank . She would have passed , already did the land series with outstanding dog work . The water-- already did the blind with no trouble , but that double , a couple of dogs did it and pass , but I called her back and put the lead on and thank the judges .Didn't want to start a habit .Again congrats :thumbsup:

Thanks you
No, I wont be able to make Mossy Pond and I hate that too. I hear their grounds are awesome. My next one will be Charleston in November and maybe Midlands in October. There are a few things that I would like to tighten up before we try for his HR title. I maybe being a little over critical of him at 15 months old but there is alot of enjoyment in seeing him inprove with every run in training.
We both felt the pressure of the test environment verses training for sure. When I opened the box on sunday for the last series he had a look in his eyes that I had never saw before. I said, oh no big boy you got settle down we can't fall apart now! The walk up was perfect he glued to the ground (heel/sit) when the mark came up and rock steady to the shot. The blind went good but my lining could use some work. I think I gave three or four cast to the blind one of which was a big left over. On to the double and, again again rock steady to the shot with perfect line manners. (go bird splashed and no splsh with the memory) There was a big feather floating on the water that look like a Feeder Butt that sucked him to the left alittle on the memory bird that fell on the bank in some cover but he worked it out. His marking and memory are great but there is still room for improvement over all before we move on.
True Happiness is in a flooded rice field puttin em in the decoys
User avatar
rivercountry
hunter
 
Posts: 824
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:25 am
Location: North Carolina

Re: First seasoned Passes

Postby krazybronco2 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:33 pm

rivercountry wrote:
dogyak wrote:Congrat's River , love seeing straight hunting dogs getting their due . Are you coming to the hunt test in Mossy pond retrievers in Ga . It's being hosted by NEFHRC . I will be running one dog in season , she only needs one more pass to HR . Could have got it last spring season , but I pulled her because she cheated the bank . She would have passed , already did the land series with outstanding dog work . The water-- already did the blind with no trouble , but that double , a couple of dogs did it and pass , but I called her back and put the lead on and thank the judges .Didn't want to start a habit .Again congrats :thumbsup:

Thanks you
No, I wont be able to make Mossy Pond and I hate that too. I hear their grounds are awesome. My next one will be Charleston in November and maybe Midlands in October. There are a few things that I would like to tighten up before we try for his HR title. I maybe being a little over critical of him at 15 months old but there is alot of enjoyment in seeing him inprove with every run in training.
We both felt the pressure of the test environment verses training for sure. When I opened the box on sunday for the last series he had a look in his eyes that I had never saw before. I said, oh no big boy you got settle down we can't fall apart now! The walk up was perfect he glued to the ground (heel/sit) when the mark came up and rock steady to the shot. The blind went good but my lining could use some work. I think I gave three or four cast to the blind one of which was a big left over. On to the double and, again again rock steady to the shot with perfect line manners. (go bird splashed and no splsh with the memory) There was a big feather floating on the water that look like a Feeder Butt that sucked him to the left alittle on the memory bird that fell on the bank in some cover but he worked it out. His marking and memory are great but there is still room for improvement over all before we move on.


if you come to midlands let me know I have a place you can stay it is a little bit of a ways from the grounds (about 30mins) but some pretty good grounds and always good birds each day. I will be marshaling seasoned as well.
User avatar
krazybronco2
hunter
 
Posts: 1020
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:09 am
Location: Grovetown GA

Re: First seasoned Passes

Postby rivercountry » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:39 pm

Thanks for the invite bronco
I havent made up my mind whether not I am going to take the kids to the Delta Water Fowl youth day or try to run the test yet. I will give you a shout if we head down your way.
True Happiness is in a flooded rice field puttin em in the decoys
User avatar
rivercountry
hunter
 
Posts: 824
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:25 am
Location: North Carolina

Re: First seasoned Passes

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:22 am

Good job on both the passes and write up.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
User avatar
Rick Hall
hunter
 
Posts: 13218
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:03 pm

Re: First seasoned Passes

Postby Rise and Shine Retrievers » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:00 am

Good job on both the passes and write up


X2

You're hooked. HRC has a great program.
A Lab you train, a Chessie you negotiate with.
User avatar
Rise and Shine Retrievers
hunter
 
Posts: 281
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:55 pm
Location: NH


Return to Hunting Dog Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

cron