Looking for german short haired pointer or Boykin spaniel

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Looking for german short haired pointer or Boykin spaniel

Postby shane071489 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:05 am

Looking for german short haired pointer or Boykin spaniel. I'm located in South Carolina looking for a dog $500 and under. Looking to buy a pup by Christmas. Will be driving to get the dog, do not want to ship. Looking for a male. My number is 803-671-1213 text appreciated, can not answer at work. Dog will be companion and hunt ducks and doves. Thank you, Shane
shane071489
hunter

Re: Looking for german short haired pointer or Boykin spanie

Postby Duckdon » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:47 am

Shane

I have to ask, Why are you looking for a Boykin as a flushing type breed or at the same time a GSP, a pointing breed? Do you know the difference between a flushing dog and a pointing dog?
You plan to hunt non-pointing species, ducks and doves, so why those 2 breeds as your choice?
As far as under $500..........might watch the local pound for a rescue dog. Sounds like your not particular about specific breeding in your hunting dog. You do have time if your ok to wait until Christmas. Don
Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 2 Drahthaar's.
Duckdon
hunter

Postby dogyak » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:24 am

I'm with Don on this . You are not getting a Boykin for under 500 unless it comes with issues , the big one would be health which would cost you a hell of a lot of money in the long run . Why don't you just try to find a mix breeding of hunting dogs or the pound as said . Don't sound like you are going to play the hunt test game or FT , sounds like a plan to me :beer:
dogyak
hunter

Postby j.digiacomo » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:20 am

Most GSP's from hunting lines are around the $1k mark. Just food for thought... even that $1000 price point is cheap compared to what you're going to spend on food/supplies/etc in the first year. I'd spend the extra coin up front to get a clean(er) bill of health through a good breeding program. Eyes/teeth/hips/conformation/hereditary disease, etc are all factors to consider, especially when buying a dog to hunt with. You wont get that info on a pound dog or a backyard breeding. Just my $0.02.
j.digiacomo
hunter

Postby 2dogs1949 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:07 am

I agree with everything stated. For $500 you may find a back yard breeder or the runt of a litter no one wants. You have a 50/50 shot at a hunting companion or a house dog.
2dogs1949
hunter

Postby Griffdom » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:40 am

I know of a kennel in Oregon that produces some high quality GSP's for $600 a piece, but you would have to ship which is something you stated you don't want to do. Besides 600 plus shipping costs would run you enough that you might as well pay 900-1000 for one close to home. Make sure that you go with NAVHDA or German lines if you plan to duck hunt with it. Many field trial GSP's wouldn't be best suited for what it appears your wanting a dog for in most cases.
Griffdom
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum