Advice on pup

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Advice on pup

Postby Stoneys52 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:09 pm

I got my 15 week old pup pretty close to potty trained still has an accident once in a while. Then she'll sit and lay down. We're still working on heel and stay its coming some what. Then when intake her out in a field shell retrieve the duck dummy about thirty times successfully until she loses her attention spand. Now if we're in the yard she won't retrieve the dummy but one or two times. So i bring out a goose wing from one I shot on sept 2nd she thinks the wing is her play you and shakes her head with it and wants to lay down with it. I know she's still quit young but any tips on the stay hell and the Wing and dummy would be great thank you
Stoneys52
hunter

Re: Advice on pup

Postby sdduckman » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:28 pm

Stoney's 52,

I am on my first pup and she is now 10 months and doing well. One of the first things I learned was to only let her retrieve 3-4 times to build the desire to retrieve. It's the always leave them wanting more thing. Also I would strongly suggest you get and follow a proven program like TRT or Smartworks.
"There are only two true sports, hunting and fishing, anything else is just a game."
sdduckman
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:38 pm

you are talking about a puppy find a program like training a retriever puppy or sound beginnings. but 30 retrieves is a lot. I would personally cut way back on the retrieves and work some obedience throw a mark a little more OB then one mark 15-20 mins at the most with a retrieve here and there to keep the attitude up.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby staticarc » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:41 pm

I've got an 11 month old yellow lab . Mine and every other young dog I've seen does the same stuff with wings.
Want to lay down, throw a paw over it and chew it apart.
Regardless of what "they " say, I think they all do it. It gets frustrating, but I think it's because we want to
See results and are afraid we're somehow going to instantly ruin our dogs by not doing the right thing from the start.
I'm definitely not a pro at all and have basically no experience other then my one dog,
But I say just relax and let your puppy be a puppy. When it turns 6 months old and gets its adult teeth
Your dog will start changing for the better almost over night.
I never threw bumpers more them 2 or 3 times a session.
Everybody always says "don't burn them out, stop while they're still wanting to do it".

I taped wings to bumpers and threw them and only them until she realized that they were what she was supposed to be retrieving . Took weeks for her to do it without feather issues.
Threw her a dead dove one day. She ran over to it, stopped and started licking .
From then on I threw Only real birds until she built up the confidence to grab it up
And bring it back. Took her wood duck hunting last week and she did well.
Still a little insecure about grabbing cripples but I feel confident she'll be ready for late season.

So , in short, don't worry too much about that stuff. Keep your training sessions short, and don't freak out too bad when your dog drops a dummy half way back to you and starts rolling on a dead toad ! Ha..
They are just young and need patience , reassurance and frequency .
- but like I said... I'm no pro at all, just know what has worked for me
Shoulda tried em that last swing...
staticarc
hunter

Postby hockeynut » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:04 am

I am not pro as well and I have a 14 month old at home who is a real retrieving machine and have been lucky enough to get a few titles so a far. Looking back now I was in your shoes when it came to wings and live birds, however, things will work out if you keep at it. Puppy is still a puppy and let the puppy (for now) have as much fun with those wings so everything associated with those wings is positive. I can remember the first time my puppy had wings – she was so over excited, not listening, rolling around with them and I thought I had lost my hunting dog. Let the puppy get it out of its system now cuz after six months or the adult teeth come – things change drastically for the puppy!
hockeynut
hunter

Postby Stoneys52 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:41 pm

When you say 3 to 4 times to you mean a day or do it a couple times then do something else for a while then go back to it or what and when I'm babying her into the guns do I still only have her retrieve a couple times
Stoneys52
hunter

Postby staticarc » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:57 pm

I still just do 3-4 times total for the whole day.
I get off work, let her out and run around for a few mins I get excitement out . After she's settled down a little bit
I'll take her out back and have her get into her "place". Which is a mock dog box
That resembles my pits dog box. From her seated and focused ill command "stay" and throw
A frozen wood duck. I'll send her , and encourage her to pick it up and return to "place" as quickly as possible.
She's always gave me trouble about delivering to hand. I found that she'll return to the box next to me with out issue.
Which will work fine for me in the field . Beats her trying to play keep away .
I'll do this with her about 4 times in a row, then the session is over for the day.
No sense in pushing the limit. She's learned her job.
I've also found that if I train with her before she's fed , she's more focused because she knows it's food time as soon as
she gets done training.
staticarc
hunter

Postby staticarc » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:01 pm

Forgot one more important detail, a lot of people may say it's the wrong thing to do,
But every time she successfully completes a solid retrieve. I give her a slice of pepperoni .
In turn, she is well motivated ! Especially since she hasn't been fed yet!
staticarc
hunter

Postby Stoneys52 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:37 pm

Alright we went out in a field today she did two retrieves then did six with me shooting the 22 rifle beside her and one with me firing a couple shots during the retreive she poked her head up and look for another bird the time I shot more than once she will
Get it she's retrieved quite a few times with
The 22 now I guess i will start to move to a shot gun at certain distances next. Just rough to do by yourself.
Stoneys52
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum