scared of loud noises

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

scared of loud noises

Postby miket410 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:06 am

I have a lab she's 2 years old now had her sense she was 8 weeks old was never afraid of loud noises had a friend use to train dogs for a living with his father he suggested starting with pots and pans making some noise getting louder she was fine evnn with fire crackers she was fine until about a year ago on the 4th nabors setting of fire works and she just tucked tail and hid and was terrified havnting worked with her much sense she really shys away from any extremly loud noises too close for her comfort and help or suggestioms and she is not scared of gun of any form
Last edited by miket410 on Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
miket410
hunter

Re: scared of loud noises

Postby i_willie12 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:35 am

You might wanta clean that post up a little bit.... :huh: :huh:

Is your dog scared of loud noises or fire works???? Lots of dogs scared of fire works! They dont understand them Most of us are always real catious around the 4th to make sure our dogs arent around just so it doesnt scare them
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby miket410 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:52 am

Loud noises m0not just fire works
miket410
hunter

Postby CutEmUp89 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:24 am

miket410 wrote:I have a lab she's 2 years old now had her sense she was 8 weeks old was never afraid of loud noises had a friend use to train dogs for a living with his father he suggested starting with pots and pans making some noise getting louder she was fine evnn with fire crackers she was fine until about a year ago on the 4th nabors setting of fire works and she just tucked tail and hid and was terrified havnting worked with her much sense she really shys away from any extremly loud noises too close for her comfort and help or suggestioms and she is not scared of gun of any form

Haven't worked with her much since July 4th?? You realize teal season did just come and go?? Come on man sounds like you need to be in the field working your dog and keeping her fit for season (if she is a hunting dog, you never specified). Have a buddy stand 200 yards away from you with a 22 and shoot and see how she acts. Work your dog in the act and keep her mind off the shot. If you feel like she is doing well from that distance, move your buddy closer and closer maybe day by day depending on how your dog is doing until you can shoot a gun when shes right at your feet. I'm not trying to nag on you at the beginning of this post but it's not fair for the dog to sit at home and not get field work but you are wondering why she is gun shy? Hope you get her lined out.
Phillip Price

Fowl Obession Duck & Goose Calls Staff

Kill em' with their feet down, and wings cupped!

"I guess no one knows about Mo Booter?"
CutEmUp89
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:00 pm

Bella was scared of loud noises until I made them a game with a reward. I started by throwing two stainless pans down together with the wife holder her on the leash at the other end of the hall. She just looked at the pans and then got a treat. We moved her a bit closer and did it again. We worked this for a week and she was no longer afraid of that noise. We took her out to the woods and did it all again with a 22 pistol. By the time we took her to the skeet range and introduced her to shotguns she wanted to be right by my side and was fighting to get to me against the leash every time we moved her closer. She knew that once she made it to me she would get a treat and didn't care about the noise. The final stage was teaching her that a gun going off was rewarded with a bird retrieve.

Bella loves the 4th. She keeps running to the front window and looking out to see the falling ducks that aren't there.

Noise shyness can be beat, and it is not all that hard to do with reward training. Just watch the dog as you do the work and reward her immediately when she doesn't act afraid of the noise.
Last edited by ScaupHunter on Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby miket410 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:03 pm

Thanks and I have worked with her just gun wise I don't have anyone to help me with the shot wise latly thars all
miket410
hunter

Postby Duckdon » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:09 pm

Don't take her to the skeet range. Don
Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 2 Drahthaar's.
Duckdon
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum