mutts

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, swampbilly 1980, captainkevan

mutts

Postby huntingwidow » Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:44 am

just curious if anyone has ever trained a mutt for hunting?
If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence, try orderin' somebody else's dog around.
huntingwidow
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:56 am

what do you consider a mutt? Lab mix or something similar?

I got my chessy from the pound.
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby huntingwidow » Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:45 am

Well, we have a lab/australian shepherd mix. He retrieves and loves water and we were thinking about trying to turn him into a duck dog. Just curious if anyone else had any success doing something like that.
If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence, try orderin' somebody else's dog around.
huntingwidow
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:58 am

have you had him around a gun yet? If you can get him used to gun fire there is no reason the dog cannot hunt.

My old teacher used to hunt his cockerspaniel (sp?) and she was a great pheasant dog..

Any dog can hunt!
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby huntingwidow » Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:12 pm

I think he will be great if we can get him used to the gun (he's a big baby when it comes to loud noises in the house). I think our biggest concern was him eating the bird.
huntingwidow
hunter

Postby brucemacp » Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:35 pm

When I was a kid I lived on a ranch in Central Oregon, around Bend. I was probably 12 years old and hunted anything that moved, rabbits, sage rats, quail, chuckar, anything. I remember bugging my dad about getting me a real hunting dog, we had plenty of cow dogs, but I wanted a Lab or Chessie like I read about in F&S or Outdoor Life. So one day dad brings home this black dog that kind of resembles a shepard /coon hound cross of some sort. He told me he got her from a guy that said the dogs mother was a heck of a retriever. I, being 12, fiqured at least the dogs color resembled a lab so maybe there was hope. To make a long story short, I'm sure it was like the blind leading the blind but that dog kind of trained herself (I guarantee you it wasn't because of me) and we hunted together for the next 10 years. She had good instincts and drive and wanted to hunt and sometimes that's all you need in a dog. She wasn't a bad cow dog either.
Kobie the wonder dog says" Hunting seasons over? Wake me up around noon"
brucemacp
hunter

Postby donell67 » Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:43 pm

i had a half lab half short hair he was a heck of a hunting dog.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby gsphunter » Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:23 pm

98ramtough
Cockers were originally bred for hunting; they have just been turned into house pets. But sure mutts can hunt. I think dogs can be trained to do anything you want them too. The dog does have to have the drive though.
Brian
"Because a duck is just a 3 pound critter"
Keith Allen
gsphunter
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum