Follow the Water Dog DVD. Start doing obedience training EACH AND EVERY DAY in 10 minute sessions, starting RIGHT NOW. If for the first six months you spend 90% of your time on obedience, you will have a HUGE leg up on the process. The remaining 10% of your training time between now and 6 months should be retrieves.
Most people make the mistake of reversing the percentage. They figure the most important thing for a duck dog is the retrieving. In fact, the most important step in having a GREAT duck dog is having rock solid obedience. The desire to retrieve and ability to mark (remember where something falls) is built into the dog if it is from a hunting pedigree. The trick is to make the dog COMPLETELY obedient WHILE they are retrieving, enhance their desire to retrieve, enhance their marking skills, and to teach them how to handle. That is the concise version, but it's the truth.
So starting today, work on the obedience and bond with that dog. Get to the point where you can communicate effectively. Watch the obedience section of the Water Dog DVD and memorize each step. Take sneak peaks at the retrieving part. Get some other training material, like Smark Work or the videos from Mike Lardy. Obedience is repetition, so do that while you study for what is ahead. In the process you'll teach the dog that training and learning is a part of everyday life.
Just my opinion...
"I'll start spending less time with my dog and more with my wife when she starts fetching ducks for me"