Intro to gun

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, HNTFSH, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Intro to gun

Postby hemihunter » Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:41 pm

When should I introduce my dog to gun fire?
hemihunter
hunter

Postby NS39340 » Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:08 pm

asap.....but not if hes under 16 weeks id say
NS39340
hunter

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:14 pm

Same here, thats a good time.
Everyone must believe in something and I believe I'll go hunting. When men bond something must die.
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 98ramtough » Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:48 pm

ditto on around 4 months. Make sure and do it right the first time, keep moving her closer to the gun over time and keep them excited.
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:10 pm

I tired that cap gun at food time with mine when he was younger and it scared the livin' crap out of him. Too much to fast. It came to the point if he saw me reach for the gun, and he would not eat unless he could see me empty handed, he would not eat. I started him by shooting around him while he played with another dog. He jumped the first time and then I threw sticks for fetching and shot them in the air with him next to me and made it into a game. Now he is fine, but I agree with the slowly moving toward him to slowly break him in.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 98ramtough » Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:20 pm

I used a 20 ga shotgun and had my fiance hold the dog about 50 yards back. She was playing with him and I shot and throw a big duck into the snow bank. My puppy came running over and licked the bird to death. I just slowly started moving her towards me, then she caught on...
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby zx2dxz » Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:59 pm

4-5 months, w/e your dog stops teething. Remember Gun Shot = Bird

1. clapping
2. cap gun
3. .410
4. 20
5. 12

archeryrob that was a close one you could have lost your dog there.... You would have been sending him to a Pro to fix that. Where i work that 450$ right there for 2 weeks of Gun and Bird. Like every other class we get one that is gunshy, GO SLOW
zx2dxz
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:16 am

I was told by someone that trained beagles to just shoot a starter gun right over them while they are eating. Maybe it works for beagles but it scared the crap out of my lab. I laid off all noise for several months. I was refinishing my basement shortly there after and he was scared of all the saws and stuff. If I ran a saw and he acted scared I stopped and played with him right away. He slowly got used to noise but I think I might have taken almost a year to correct that mistake on my own.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Browningshooter » Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:59 pm

I shot over mine at 2 months just keep him entertained and have someone else shoot the first couple rounds then you go ahead and shoot with the pup at your side. just make sure he doesn't get bored. If he does stop.
hunt eat sleep(after season)
Browningshooter
hunter

Postby O_E_J » Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:21 pm

I started mine at about 5 months old. I just took her to the local trap range and kept her by the car for a while. Then I slowly worked her up to now where she sits next to me and shoots trap with every one. It really kills her to not be able to go the the "pigeons". I did not start with a cap gun, 20ga or anything else like that.
OEJ
O_E_J
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:39 pm

Need to be careful with the gun range this may have worked for O_E_J, but this can be attributed to alot of gun shy dogs. Some dogs can handle this, but that is a lot of gunfire with no reward. I started by banging pots and pans together when she was playing in the house. Then moved to a toy cap gun while in full pursuit of birds. Then I moved to a 22 cal. starter pistol, again while in full pursuit of a bird. She never showed any signs of gunshyness, so I moved on to a 12 gauge. This is not something you want to mess up the first time because it can be a long process to re-acclimate the dog to gun fire. Much easier to take it slow the first time.
gsphunter
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum