eye infections...UPDATE

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

eye infections...UPDATE

Postby Indaswamp » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:57 pm

I had to take the dog to the Vet yesterday morning for an eye infection. slightly cloudy in one eye and a little less cloudy in the other, mucus discharge in both eyes. Tear production test showed 10 on the left eye and 21 on the right. Cataracts test neg. glaucoma test neg. Vet said it was tear duct infection, gave me some antibiotic drops and a imitation tear ointment for the eyes. Anyone ever have to deal with this? Any advice SHarris?
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Re: eye infections...

Postby flyfisher76544 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:21 am

My bud did last year after dove season. Millett was all in the dogs eyes and caused an infection.
Hunt where the ducks want to be, not where you want the ducks to be
flyfisher76544
hunter

Postby sharris » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:00 am

Sounds like your vet has a handle on it. Do you know the medical diagnosis the vet gave (e.g. dacryocystitis, conjunctivitis, etc.)? That would help a lot in knowing exactly what is going on.
sharris
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:43 pm

sharris wrote:Sounds like your vet has a handle on it. Do you know the medical diagnosis the vet gave (e.g. dacryocystitis, conjunctivitis, etc.)? That would help a lot in knowing exactly what is going on.

she said it's like when a human gets pink eye.......for what that is worth.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby sharris » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:44 pm

Probably conjunctivitis. It is less common to get conjunctivitis in both eyes from trauma instead of just one, but it happens. Did they do a fluorescein stain for ulcers? The drops tend to work pretty well for acute infections. If it is a young dog I'd keep distemper as a possibility in the back of my mind. Allergic is a possibility too. If it doesn't respond let me know and I can send you a copy of the optho book chapter with a list of differential diagnoses that you can discuss with your vet.
sharris
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:51 pm

sharris wrote:Probably conjunctivitis. It is less common to get conjunctivitis in both eyes from trauma instead of just one, but it happens. Did they do a fluorescein stain for ulcers?

Yes. no new injuries, but he did have a very small scar on one eye that has healed...lower left on the right eye and not in field of vision.

The drops tend to work pretty well for acute infections.

This is good to hear...

If it is a young dog I'd keep distemper as a possibility in the back of my mind.

Dog is 9 years 6 months old...
Allergic is a possibility too.

could be...seems that every season in late summer he gets heat rash. sometimes it's pretty noticeable.

If it doesn't respond let me know and I can send you a copy of the optho book chapter with a list of differential diagnoses that you can discuss with your vet.

thanks sharris....

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:58 pm

I have also noticed a slight droopy bottom eyelid. I did not notice this the day I brought the dog to the vet though. Is this due to the infection?

BTW- the drops must be working because the discharge is nowhere near as bad or as green, and the cloudiness looks to be fading.....

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Spry Yellowdog » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:28 pm

My dog seems to always get bullrush seed husks in her eyes when were hunting that stuff.
My uncle (her vet) keeps me supplied with a ointment to put in her eyes when ever she shows signs of irratation.
Seems to help remove the debris better than the drops. No scratches seen when using dye so far so good.

Spry
With a Dog...You never hunt alone.
Spry Yellowdog
hunter

Postby copterdoc » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:28 am

All of my dogs have had corneal abrasions.
These typically heal within a few days, with a 4-times-a-day application of antibiotic drops or gel. (Do NOT use a topical that contains a steroid!!!)

However, I have had an older dog get an indolent ulcer, that required grid keratotomy in order to heal.
That's where they debride the ulcerated tissue, and scratch a grid pattern across it, into healthy tissue beyond the perimeter.

They also pulled the third eyelid shut, and held it closed by stitching.
The dog needs to wear an Elizabethan Collar until the stitches are removed.
copterdoc
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:48 am

Vet prescribed Ofloxacin Ophthalmic Solution USP (anti bacterial drops), 2 drops every 8 hours. And Sterile Artificial tears ointment every 4 hours

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby sharris » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:21 am

How's your pup doing?
sharris
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:37 pm

sharris wrote:How's your pup doing?

redness on the eyeball looks to be clearing up, cloudiness has lessened but is still there, discharge from the eye is significantly reduced and no longer green, just a greyish color. Will go back to the vet tomorrow for a follow up visit. At this point, I'm more concerned with the cloudiness in the eye.....

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:40 am

Update:
Took the dog to the Vet this morning for a check-up. The left eye has healed, no more redness or cloudiness, but dog has a slightly droopy bottom eye lid. Vet gave me a script for Noe/Poly/Dex Ophthalmic Ointment for any future re-occuring infections in the eye. The right eye, redness is gone, cloudiness has reduced slightly, but the remaining cloudiness is the onset of cataracts. It's very slight right now though.

Also, When I got home from the vet last week, I gave the dog a good bath to get him clean. noticed a bump/mass on the back of his left leg, just above the knee 1/2 the size of a golf ball. Vet pulled a syringe sample and looked at it under the microscope. Unclear as to exactly what it could be....might be a benign cyst, infected deep wound healing, or Cancer. options are to perform surgery and have it sent off to be analyzed, xray the lungs and chest cavity for additional growths, or antibiotic treatment for infection.

I went with antibiotics for now because I remember him having a very slight limp couple months ago and at the time I thought nothing of it but he might have sustained an injury or gotten stung bu a wasp and if got infected....

anyways, that's where we stand...
Script for antibiotics is Simplicef 100mg. (Cefpodoxime) for 9 days.....

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Re: eye infections...UPDATE

Postby beretta24 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:07 am

Here's to hoping it all goes well
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:10 am

Hope all turns out well Swamp :thumbsup:
“The Blue Book says we've got to go out and it doesn't say a damn thing about having to come back.” -
Captain Patrick Etheridge, USLSS
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby jehler » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:12 am

damn swamp, maybe you should him north for some R&R, jr and i will baby him back to health :wink:

prayers for Grautain (sp?)
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

Postby sharris » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:16 am

Glad the eyes are getting better. I'm surprised your vet couldn't get the cytology narrowed down more than that since those things look completely different under the microscope (was the aspirate diagnostic quality?). Start planning on having the mass surgically removed. Near the joints is a common site for peripheral nerve sheath tumors, but it could be anything.

Does your vet still have the slide or did he discard it? If he still has it and if he thinks it is good quality take it down to the veterinary diagnostic lab and have their clinical pathologist evaluate it. It is $52 plus a $3 accession fee and they can then give you a better idea of what you are dealing with.

Cytology is on page 2.
http://www1.vetmed.lsu.edu/LADDL/Fee%20 ... 47520.html
Last edited by sharris on Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
sharris
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:18 am

Thats tough Swamp. Hopefully that mass is nothing. My walker hound had three taken off of her few months back. Luckily they were all benign. Im sure he will heal up by season time.
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:22 am

sharris wrote:Glad the eyes are getting better. I'm surprised your vet couldn't get the cytology narrowed down more than that since those things look completely different under the microscope (was the aspirate diagnostic quality?). Does your vet still have the slide or did he discard it? Start planning on having the mass surgically removed. Near the joints is a common site for peripheral nerve sheath tumors, but it could be anything.

I really can't answer your first question. He said he had a good sample, whatever that means...
Don't know if he still has it, and I did not ask.

The mass is just under the skin.... not right behind the joint where a lymph node would be, but 1.5~2" higher....I can take a pic. if it helps...

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:23 am

tmclaimerFL wrote:Thats tough Swamp. Hopefully that mass is nothing. My walker hound had three taken off of her few months back. Luckily they were all benign. Im sure he will heal up by season time.

@Sharris- question is, do it before the season starts? or wait till after? season starts in 1 month.
Wait and see if the oral antibiotics clear it up???

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby sharris » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:59 am

Indaswamp wrote:
sharris wrote:Glad the eyes are getting better. I'm surprised your vet couldn't get the cytology narrowed down more than that since those things look completely different under the microscope (was the aspirate diagnostic quality?). Does your vet still have the slide or did he discard it? Start planning on having the mass surgically removed. Near the joints is a common site for peripheral nerve sheath tumors, but it could be anything.

I really can't answer your first question. He said he had a good sample, whatever that means...

The mass is just under the skin.... not right behind the joint where a lymph node would be, but 1.5~2" higher....I can take a pic. if it helps...

Call and ask if he still has the sample. I'd be happy to look at it for you, if you want. Your vet should have slide mailers at his clinic.
sharris
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:05 am

Indaswamp wrote:
tmclaimerFL wrote:Thats tough Swamp. Hopefully that mass is nothing. My walker hound had three taken off of her few months back. Luckily they were all benign. Im sure he will heal up by season time.

@Sharris- question is, do it before the season starts? or wait till after? season starts in 1 month.

Is it a puss filled cyst or a hard cyst? If its just puss i would wait til the end of the season. However, if you can teach Woods to retrieve birds I would go ahead and give the dog surgery to remove it and not risk the dogs chances. Once the scar is healed well he can get back in the water Im sure.
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby jehler » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:07 am

tmclaimerFL wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:

Is it a puss filled cyst or a hard cyst? If its just puss i would wait til the end of the season. However, if you can teach Woods to retrieve birds I would go ahead and give the dog surgery to remove it and not risk the dogs chances. Once the scar is healed well he can get back in the water Im sure.

woods would get lost
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:13 am

sharris wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:

Call and ask if he still has the sample. I'd be happy to look at it for you, if you want. Your vet should have slide mailers at his clinic.

does not still have the sample....
Wish I had known or thought about the Vet clinic at LSU prior to the visit....brain fart on my part, or I would have requested the sample.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:14 am

jehler wrote:
tmclaimerFL wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:

woods would get lost

LOL!!! :lol3:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Hunting Dog Forum