Dead birds

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Dead birds

Postby Stoneys52 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:29 pm

My pup is 4 months and retrieving in shallow water with the twenty guage goin off right beside her. Next step is the 12 and deep water. She retrieves the dummy with feathers attached like a champ. I introduced her to the dead mallard I had in my freezer today she brought it back once the other two times I threw it she just chewed on it. Any tips there? And I'm having a little trouble with her staying steady to shot. Any tips on gettin her to learn how to stay better?
Stoneys52
hunter

Re: Dead birds

Postby copterdoc » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:42 pm

Steady don't matter, if she won't pick up the critter that she was steady for.

Quit putting "rules" on it. She doesn't have a job yet. She needs a chance to play.

Make it FUN.
copterdoc
hunter

Postby duckdozer » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:49 pm

if she is 4 months now you better just get it out of your head of hunting her this yr. let her be a pup and you be slow and consistant with your training. Like said above have fun. I wont worry about steady till after FF next time, I took all the pup out of mine with all the control and had to teach her how to be a pup again.
Aux Lake H Maxine NAVHDA NA Prize 2 103pts
Retrieves Season #1 ('13) 185
Season #2 ('14) 197
Season #3 ('15) 59
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
duckdozer
hunter

Postby dogyak » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:23 pm

Like above said , slow down . At 4 months , it's all about fun . You start making that pup being steady at this point , could take the drive out of him . You should do your OB training in your yard , park , at car shows , etc . But don't mix the retrieving until after FF . Now with that said , I don't think you are following a program . Don't think you ever really trained a gun dog before by what you posted . So I would really recommend that you look at the sticky above on programs and order whats best for you . Also I would find a training group thru a retriever club . They will walk you thru the rough spots and you will make new friends . Skip or shrimp on the basics and you're headed for a train wreck . No if's , ands ,or buts about it .
dogyak
hunter

Postby rivercountry » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:15 am

duckdozer wrote:if she is 4 months now you better just get it out of your head of hunting her this yr. let her be a pup and you be slow and consistant with your training. Like said above have fun. I wont worry about steady till after FF next time, I took all the pup out of mine with all the control and had to teach her how to be a pup again.

X2 :thumbsup: Stay true to you OB and keep it disciplined. Make your retrieving sessions fun for your pup there will be plenty of time for cleaning it up after FF. Don’t force the issue of hunting this year remember you will have many more hunting seasons with pup after training is complete. Hunting pups to young puts a lot of pressure on them and could make them very unsteady in the long run and that is a problem that is hard to overcome. Good luck and have fun.
True Happiness is in a flooded rice field puttin em in the decoys
rivercountry
hunter

Postby alanwebfoot » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:42 pm

If I learned anything at all it's this end on a good note even if it's a very short session,very good advice given here, shoot 4 months old some aren't even broken to water yet.
alanwebfoot
hunter

Postby Stoneys52 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:21 pm

She's loves the water does great retreiving in it too and has no problem with the 12 guage goin off beside her. And is still being a puppy when were not doin our short training sessions. I'm very impressed by her
Stoneys52
hunter

Postby olclamman » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:23 am

OMG STONY - YOU ARE DEALING WITH A YOUNG PUP - DO YOU HAVE ANY KIDS - IF SO WOULD YOU EXPECT THEM TO JUMP ON A BIKE AT I YR OLD AND RIDE AWAY - YOUR PUP IS A PRE SCHOOLER - SLOW DOWN - GET WITH A GROUP FOR HELP -
YOU CAN DO MORE HARM THAN GOOD THAT CAN BE LONG LASTING
retired less money more wife
olclamman
hunter

Postby Stoneys52 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:35 am

What am I doing wrong? She has fun the training sessions are short. When she sees a gun, duck dummy, or feathers she gets over excited
Stoneys52
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:09 am

Stoneys52 wrote:What am I doing wrong? She has fun the training sessions are short. When she sees a gun, duck dummy, or feathers she gets over excited

Not to speak for 'Occly, but would believe as others have mentioned, you may have some premature retrieving expectations in place that need more of a separate fundamental foundation first.

You don't want to be overly structured with all the Obedience while retrieving. Keep that separate, lay the foundation, and then bring retrieving and the Obedience learned in the yard all together later. In the meantime keep retrieving fun- (as it sounds like you may be doing )

You can suck the drive out of a pup with all the structure while trying to "have fun".
You can take it out, but it's hard to put it back in.

Your pups' 16wks. and may be teething, which could be a reason for the chewing.
:beer:
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Force Fetch » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:51 am

At 4 months, why not use wing clip pigeons instead of dead frozen birds, make it exciting. You can also use fresh dead pigeons that are "dry" and not chewed up, a tap on the head and wipe all the blood off before throwing.
Instead of making the dog steady at this stage build momentum, you can steady the dog later. Through all phases of training always strive to maintain momentum.
Good Luck with your pup!
Teach, Train, Test, and Hunt.
Wayne
Force Fetch
hunter

Postby CatSquirrel » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:24 pm

As an add to what Wayne said, I would NOT recommend using pigeons in water. They get slimy fast and actually promote bad mouth habits. Land use is ok

I think what everyone is saying is not to demand absolute rock solid steadiness. At 4 months, I usually put a training tab on a young pup, really just to get them used to being sent on their name and will often release them while the bird is still in the air. A teal thrown on golf course grass is ideal provided your pup returns with their prize.
CatSquirrel
hunter

Postby Force Fetch » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:25 pm

Thanks Cat, I forgot to include that part. Wayne
Force Fetch
hunter

Postby olclamman » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:07 pm

stony where in sw pa are you located
retired less money more wife
olclamman