snakebit

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

snakebit

Postby alanwebfoot » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:56 pm

anyone ever had their lab or chessie or golden nailed by a copperhead? My is fine now but looked awful just 2 days ago. I only kept that brushpile for the few measly rabbits I see to have a place to hide in. Now it's toast!!!! Cajun toast.
alanwebfoot
hunter

Re: snakebit

Postby Griffdom » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:30 pm

Nope. But, I have had my Irish setter get bit. Kind of funny. It was 5 years ago when it happened and not knowing better I sped like crazy to get her to the emergency vet when it happened (on the weekend). When I got there I rushed in with my half limp puppy dog in my hands and told them what happened. They said "Oh, OK, go ahead and sit down and when the vet is ready they will be with you." I was fuming mad when they got to me about 20 minutes later. Come to find out, copperhead bites are not all that much of an issue for a dog. She was bit on the muzzle and swelled unrecognizably for a day or two, but after a week was pretty much back to normal. I laugh about it now.
Griffdom
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:12 pm

Only copperhead bitten dog I've had was an English setter that's head swelled up like the Hulk's. Went from white to pink, because the hair was on end. Doc gave him cortisone, anti-biotics and time. (Grandpa used to just give them time.) More recently I've picked up the trick of heavily dosing them with Benadryl to retard allergic reaction to the venom, and seen good results on two of my Chessies and a few friends' and guest Labs that have been hit by cottonmouths.

I keep liquid Benadryl in the truck, boat, shell box and day pack for quick administration and won't hesitate to chug a double dose myself if I get nailed.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby mikegillam » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:57 pm

Not a copperhead, but my lab was bitten by a Timber Rattler about 2 months ago. Was in pretty bad shape for about 7 days, was another week before the dog started to get back to "normal". Seems to be okay now, but seemed to really lose quite of conditioning, not sure if that is because of the amount of venom and the damage, or the fact he was hospitalized and crated for about 10 continuous days. Trying to get him back in shape... :beer:
mikegillam
Newb

Postby Idaho Savage » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:48 pm

Watched my buddy's Chocolate get hit by a Western. We were an hour from the closest vet but fortunately the dog was big and had also had a rattlesnake vaccine.

If anyone has any doubt as to whether or not snake vaccines work, trust me, they do. Dog had zero symptoms until about 45 minutes when the swelling started. From my understanding, that's exactly what the vaccine is supposed to do--delay the symptoms until you can get the dog to a vet.

And yeah, we sent that little rattling bastard and four of his friends straight to hell in flurry of gunfire I will never forget.
Idaho Savage
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:26 am

Rick Hall wrote:Only copperhead bitten dog I've had was an English setter that's head swelled up like the Hulk's. Went from white to pink, because the hair was on end. Doc gave him cortisone, anti-biotics and time. (Grandpa used to just give them time.) More recently I've picked up the trick of heavily dosing them with Benadryl to retard allergic reaction to the venom, and seen good results on two of my Chessies and a few friends' and guest Labs that have been hit by cottonmouths.

I keep liquid Benadryl in the truck, boat, shell box and day pack for quick administration and won't hesitate to chug a double dose myself if I get nailed.

Good tip Rick. I now keep benadryl at the camp and inda boat after hearing you mention this previously on here...
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Idaho Savage » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:18 am

Rick Hall wrote:Only copperhead bitten dog I've had was an English setter that's head swelled up like the Hulk's. Went from white to pink, because the hair was on end. Doc gave him cortisone, anti-biotics and time. (Grandpa used to just give them time.) More recently I've picked up the trick of heavily dosing them with Benadryl to retard allergic reaction to the venom, and seen good results on two of my Chessies and a few friends' and guest Labs that have been hit by cottonmouths.

Great call. I'm adding it to my kit tomorrow.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
Idaho Savage
hunter

Postby alanwebfoot » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:10 am

benadryl and echinacea for infection thanks guys for the reply ,a diamond back? WOW now that would worry me ,my back yard is about an acre and a half fenced in of course ,she runs with my Scottish Terrier, I don't even know when it happened ,but today [Wed.] the swelling is gone her drive is back the main problem is itchiness right now. She'll be good to go by the 19th. Where do you get antivenom to carry with you ? Because I thought of using her for grouse too.
alanwebfoot
hunter

Postby SoupSandwich99 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:48 pm

I was told by a friend a while back that he had to shoot his dog after it was bitten while he was working on his farm. I didn't have the heart to tell him that a big dose of Benadryl and a trip to the vet probably would have sufficed. Of course, up until about 3 years ago I would not have known any better either.
SoupSandwich99
hunter

Postby Force Fetch » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:55 pm

My vet told me to administer 25mg per Kilo, wait 20 minutes and administer another dose, while heading to the vet.
Hope this helps.
Force Fetch
hunter

Postby txhunter90 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:58 pm

My friends girlfriend just got bit and it was ugly.
txhunter90
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:37 pm

The girlfriend or the bite?
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby txhunter90 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:25 pm

ScaupHunter wrote:The girlfriend or the bite?

Lol the bite. swelled 3 times as big
txhunter90
hunter

Postby Anoldhuntersc » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:29 pm

Had a dog of mine bit over a weekend. Couldn't get hold of vet immediately. Called a friend who works at county animal shelter. She said give him prednisone. Didn't have any but my wife's father did. Gave it to him and he did well. Got him under the ear whole head swelled up. Prednisone is an anti-inflammatory,used for shock, prevents infections as well as other stuff. Steroid. We keep some now. Benadryl is good advise. Ask vet,dosages. Usually by prescription.
Anoldhuntersc
hunter

Postby huntnvet » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:36 am

Don't post much here, but this one needs a response.

Prednisone does not prevent infections, it does just the opposite. I would never recommend giving pred in the face of snake bite!

Ask your vet to order some injectable Benadryl, write the dose on the bottle so you have it quickly.
huntnvet
hunter

Postby BoomStick79 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:21 am

my pup got tagged by a cottonmouth in the leg last weekend and Benadryl did the trick. He's good as new now. On a side note if you look closely at the pic you can see the tail of another moccasin. Any idea why they would be congregating? I don't think this is the proper time for breeding but I don't know a whole lot about moccasins.
BoomStick79
hunter

Postby THETANK01 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:33 am

Only good snake is a dead one.
THETANK01
hunter

Postby BoomStick79 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:26 am

THETANK01 wrote:Only good snake is a dead one.

Especially when they are at my honey hole
BoomStick79
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum