Duck Hunting Forum banner

Water Mark issues

1K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  GarDuck 
#1 ·
:help:
So the last couple of nights I have been throwing water marks for 7.5 month old pup. I put him on a place and go out to throw water mark so I can extend his range. I wish I had another person to throw marks for me, but this is not always available. After throwing the mark, I return to him at his place at heal/sit and give him fetch command and he will take off aggressively about 6 -10 feet and then turn around and look at me as if needing more direction. He is fine if I give him a hand direction or back command from the location out 6-10 feet, but I don't get the stopping and turning back to me for direction. I have not seen this behavior on any land marks that I can recall.

It may have happen once or twice if I have had someone throwing water marks for us in the distance, but I really see it after I throw one and then send him from a mark I have thrown from a distance.

Dog is currently doing force to pile drills in the morning, as that is the progression of where we are in his training after basic obedience, FF, CC, and three hand casting.

I am not sure if I have provided enough info here so if more info is needed let me know and I can expound and give more background.

See less See more
#2 ·
I would say he's confused.... Confused by you throwing marks away from him, and the fact that in the morning your doing FF pile work. When i start FF pile work I just work FF pile work till they are through that process! Nothing else that way Dog doesnt get confused with what he's working on at this time... Just like hold work Nothing other than hold work..

Has dog ever done this with a helper throwing marks?? If just with you I'd say he just isnt putting 2-2 together and doesnt understand why your walking out and then walking back then resitting him and sending him... I'm not big on that feel it messes with the dogs mind Most guys will remote send their dog from where they throw the mark Its hard to train alone and extend dogs out past your throwing distance

#3 ·
Yes, that is my hunch as well as he looks confused when he turns and looks for direction. :huh: I am confused as I know he saw the mark splash and he starts out and then turns to me for direction. I don't believe it is a refusal but a confusion issue and that is my problem not his.

I will back off that methodology and just work through FTP. I was trying to get in as much water work as I can though with the present weather and that I had a few live ducks that I was using with him in the evening portion of our training.

Thanks for the feedback.

Left a message with Red Label yesterday, but haven't heard anything yet.

#4 ·
summit20 said:
I will back off that methodology and just work through FTP. I was trying to get in as much water work as I can though with the present weather and that I had a few live ducks that I was using with him in the evening portion of our training.
You can do that. Or you can send him remote - i.e., releasing the dog to go for a mark by shouting its name from the field rather than going back to his side and then sending him. That's what many of us do - are forced to do - when training alone. Eliminates confusion immediately, but the dog needs to be steady at the line (where you leave him on sit when walking out to throw for him).

MG

#5 ·
I'm not the best dog trainer but I do a little. Sounds like what big time trainers call "popping". The dog starts to retrieve but stops and looks back for that reassurance or guidance even though they saw the mark. My dog had a Jr title before she ever went on her first real hunt. No hesitation from her in the hunt tests but she "popped" on me for the first couple birds she retrieved over water.

Keep it simple. The dog may be losing confidence in his mark because of the length of time it's taking for you to come all the way back to him and release him, thus needing the reassurance.

Find ya a neighborhood kid or nephew to throw marks. They are usually happy to throw stuff in the water :)

#7 ·
Listen to Jeff, do not handle on marks, in fact don't even tell him to fetch unless he is standing over the bumper. The dogs concentration should be in the direction of the mark.
Lengthen the marks until the dog fails, then shorten it up till he succeeds. Repeat the success. This is the teaching stage of his training, so unless it becomes a crutch it is OK to repeat a mark now and then. Also a remote release should be taught as it may come in handy in field situations.
Good Luck, remember Teach, Train, Test and Hunt.
Wayne

#8 ·
If you don't have throwers available for you, remote release would be ideal as walking back around the water is sometimes very lengthly to then send your dog if their memory hasn't been developed very well. Take a look at some of the videos by Bill Hillmann on place training to do remote sends and being able to send a dog back to the line so you can throw another mark for them. This works really well if introduced and trained properly.

#12 ·
Youve gotten some awesome advice I would add one thing if your set on doing marks at this time. If your pup is steady and your pretty confident in his steadiness then I would bring the marks in closer and send him with his name the moment the bumper hits the water. If you release him at the moment of the splash I would imagine the excitement will carry him through the confusion. Obviously if you have been releasing him on marks with the fetch command switching to his name may require a little practice with field marks first. Good luck and good on you for training.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.