Dog swimming in marsh waters

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, HNTFSH, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Dog swimming in marsh waters

Postby jwrsnyder » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:50 am

Hi all,

A buddy and I just hunted up a marsh today, got a few ducks, but they hit the water and there was simply no way to retrieve them because the mud was waist deep and they were out 20 yards or so.

Do you guys have success with sending your pups through muddy water? I kid you not, the water looks two inches deep, but the mud just pulls you right in. Am I alright to releasy my dog into that stuff?

Appreciate the help, would love to not feel limited by the conditions. Thanks.
jwrsnyder
Newb

Re: Dog swimming in marsh waters

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:45 am

Can be slow going for the dog, but he can navigate in it. Think it's these conditions that truely contribute to that incredible bond between man- and dog.
Dog doesn't know it, but he's saving you from Cardiac Arrest by retrieving in that crap for you :yes:
Always play it safe however-
If you SEND the dog and he looks like he's getting into trouble, get him out of that crap.
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Rick Hall » Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:16 pm

If you're going to ask Pup to take on rough going, you really ought to introduce it in gradual increments in training first. That way, you'll both know what he can handle. Which, if he's been brought on to it, is a lot.

Otherwise, though, you really can't fault him for thinking you're trying to get him killed and bailing on the project.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby O.D.Lid » Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:37 pm

:sad: my cousins dog tried to run in that stuff and popped her achilles tendon. It was early season and she was not in prime shape ( a little overweight) Pretty much retired her after that! :sad:
If the ocean was made of WHISKEY and I was a DUCK I'd swim to the bottom and get all F!@#% up!
O.D.Lid
hunter

Postby Spry Yellowdog » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:48 pm

I go by the standard of- If something goes wrong on a retrieve can I go in and help,save her?
If yes I send her, If no I don't shoot. I have seen that type of mud and almost lost a dog in it so
I avoid it now. A spoonie isn't worth it. Deep water thin ice is the same with me.
Just how I do it, your results my vary...

Spry
With a Dog...You never hunt alone.
Spry Yellowdog
hunter

Postby Dawnsearlylight » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:51 am

Spry Yellowdog wrote:I go by the standard of- If something goes wrong on a retrieve can I go in and help,save her?
If yes I send her, If no I don't shoot. I have seen that type of mud and almost lost a dog in it so
I avoid it now. A spoonie isn't worth it. Deep water thin ice is the same with me.
Just how I do it, your results my vary...

Spry

This, and what Rick said. If you are going to hunt in nasty venues, you had better have a sound, fit dog, and a way to get to him if things go south. It also helps to have a dog which, despite your best efforts to keep it safe, doesn't spend it's entire life actively looking for creative ways to commit suicide.
The lab and golden think: "My humans give me food, shelter and love; they must be gods."
The Chesapeake thinks: "My humans give me food, shelter and love; I must be a God."
Dawnsearlylight
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:04 am

Not being a smarty pants, but know that if I limited my use of the dog to only places or situations that I could jump in and make an immediate rescue, the dog would be home during the entire season.
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Dawnsearlylight » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:21 am

swampbilly 1980 wrote:Not being a smarty pants, but know that if I limited my use of the dog to only places or situations that I could jump in and make an immediate rescue, the dog would be home during the entire season.

Billy, I don't think anyone is suggesting that. I have one spot that is much like what the OP described, and late season there is ice to boot. You better believe I make sure there is a boat handy, just in case, for my safety as well as the dog's. Yes, I am dumb enough to go into ice water after a dog which is in trouble :rolleyes: ; did it twice, don't want to ever do it again. Also used the boat in that spot to rescue the guy I hunt with when he got stupid one time. Caca happens, sometimes a little pre-planning can prevent disaster.
The lab and golden think: "My humans give me food, shelter and love; they must be gods."
The Chesapeake thinks: "My humans give me food, shelter and love; I must be a God."
Dawnsearlylight
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:27 am

Dawnsearlylight wrote:
swampbilly 1980 wrote:Not being a smarty pants, but know that if I limited my use of the dog to only places or situations that I could jump in and make an immediate rescue, the dog would be home during the entire season.

Billy, I don't think anyone is suggesting that. I have one spot that is much like what the OP described, and late season there is ice to boot. You better believe I make sure there is a boat handy, just in case, for my safety as well as the dog's. Yes, I am dumb enough to go into ice water after a dog which is in trouble :rolleyes: ; did it twice, don't want to ever do it again. Also used the boat in that spot to rescue the guy I hunt with when he got stupid one time. Caca happens, sometimes a little pre-planning can prevent disaster.

You took the "bait" nicely :yes: :devil: :lol3:

Don't get me wrong- I totally agree with everyone, particularly what Ricks' mentioned about being progessive.
That said-
Think it's a good idea to know looong beforehand the situation before it arises vs. "testing" it for the first time on a hunt.
If it's that bad, leave the dog at home.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Hunting Dog Forum