How many duck retrieves while hunting?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

How many duck retrieves while hunting?

Postby staticarc » Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:34 pm

This will be my dogs first season. She will be 1.5 yr old come season. Ive heard that I should put my dog up after shes made several retrieves, instead of hunting her all day and letting her get 20-30 birds all day(obviously best case scenario).
Although 20-30 birds during a 8 hour day doesnt seem like much, but i dont know. Thoughts??
Shoulda tried em that last swing...
staticarc
hunter

Re: How many duck retrieves while hunting?

Postby cluckmeister » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:13 pm

Id say hunt her as long as its fun for her , if she gets tired or bored you will know when it time to call it a day with her
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby Jarbo03 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:09 pm

cluckmeister wrote:Id say hunt her as long as its fun for her , if she gets tired or bored you will know when it time to call it a day with her

X2
Jarbo03
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:10 pm

Where can you shoot 30 birds? Count me in! :hammer:
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby GarDuck » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:26 am

Personally I would say if they want to retireve let them retrieve it will only make them better as long as they're not outta control.
GarDuck
hunter

Postby kwacksmacker » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:18 am

My dog has gotten every duck shot over him for 2 years minus a few snow goose hunts where we ran a couple well trained retrievers instead of one. In addition we run the local european shoots once or twice a week for same amount if time. Love them due to all i have i do is concentrate in the dog. 300 500 and 1000 bird shoots = a lot if experience in little time and training and birds shot over them equals a solid hunting hound in my book
totals for 09/10 season
5 bald eagles, 3 swans, 475 hen canvassbacks, 37 pintails, 400 teal blue wings and the season hasn't even started.
kwacksmacker
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum