Smartworks, 10 Minute Retriever, or Lardy's Total Retriever

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Smartworks, 10 Minute Retriever, or Lardy's Total Retriever

Postby Bigbopper916 » Sat Jan 08, 2005 3:43 pm

Do you mind leaving your opinion on which book (or video) is best for a beginner training his first lab?

Thanks in advance...
Bigbopper916
hunter

Postby duckbum13 » Sat Jan 08, 2005 7:37 pm

with my first and only dog i have i used water dog and he was 5 when i was legal to hunt and thats what i will use after i retire my dog and get a new one.i really didnt have to train him that much like he already had the fetch thing down and all i had to do was touch him up with that and get him to look for the birds when they go down so it wasnt too hard for me but training a pup might be a little different story
jmo
josh
might as well start callin me the pit man
duckbum13
hunter

Postby QuillGordon » Sun Jan 09, 2005 4:56 pm

Game Dog, Richard Wolter's. 10 Min Retriever is also very good, different training styles read both or all and incorporate the best of ... Good Luck... :thumbsup:
QuillGordon
hunter

Postby SteveInTN » Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:11 pm

Hard choice, but I would have to vote for Mike Lardy's videos. He has such a great mannerism for working with dogs. Smartwork (not Smartworks) would be a VERY, VERY, close second. Evan is a VERY smart dude...
Last edited by SteveInTN on Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'll start spending less time with my dog and more with my wife when she starts fetching ducks for me"
SteveInTN
hunter

Postby SteveInTN » Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:16 pm

BTW... while I happen to be a big fan of Water Dog and Game Dog, they pale in comparison to either Mike Lardy or Smartwork. They are great when one of the more expensive options is NOT an option, but they are so much more in-depth and technical.

If you are dead serious about training a great hunting retriever, get Lardy or Smartwork. If you suspect you'll be more casual in your approach but still want to do something, Water Dog is the better choice of the two Wolters' videos. Game Dog is more of a watered-down version of Water Dog.
"I'll start spending less time with my dog and more with my wife when she starts fetching ducks for me"
SteveInTN
hunter

Postby Gordy » Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:17 pm

For a newbie I recommend "The 10 Minute Retriever". If you have trained a dog in the past and have a basic understanding of "force process", then going with Smartwork Vol. 1 and Smartfetch would be your best choice. If you have run HT's or are just getting involved in FT's the two sets of Lardy articles are great. The Lardy tapes are very good for someone who understands and is training retrievers and wants to see how one of the greatest FT Trainers does it.
More people have used Wolters books than probably all others combined and there is no doubt that you can get a dog delivering to hand using them. But, it would be like buying a shotgun that only shots 2 3/4" shells, when for the same price you can buy one that shots 2 3/4" - 3 1/2 ", why limit yourself and more importantly, why limit your pup.
Make it fun!
Gordy
Newb

Return to Hunting Dog Forum