Need advice on new hunting dog!

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Need advice on new hunting dog!

Postby Scduckhunter78 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:28 pm

This will be my first dog that I've had trained for ducks and of course I had high expectations after 6 months of training and tons of money being spent to train her. She is a yellow lab from a ducks unlimited organization here in SC. After receiving her papers, her parents and grand parents have no certification for any hunt test ect.. So that was my 1st mistake and that's probably what I get for an impulse buy but nevertheless I really have gotten attached to this dog. After 5 months of training, my highly recommended trainer and I spent a few hours going over the basics before she will return home this nov. 1st. He basically told me she will not make it past the basic training because her lack of the basic abc's. She LOVES to retrieve and is excellent in water but on land she's having a hard time bringing the bird/dummy back. She wants to play with it and sometimes push it around before she grabs it. It is my understanding that she just doesn't have that "bottom end" that other dogs that I worked with that particular day. I'm confused about what to do now and where to go with her because I know what she's capable of doing better. Well, at least I hope she would. I've spent a lot of money on her and don't want to give up on her quit yet. Any suggestions or help with what I can do once she's home? Has anyone ran across a problem like this before with a pup. She's 9months old. Thanks!!
Scduckhunter78
hunter

Re: Need advice on new hunting dog!

Postby Raves24 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:44 pm

Has she been FF and CC?? Been on live birds?I wouldn't give up on her yet. Take her hunting and see how she does. She is still a rookie and apperently does not understand what all this training is for. Give her a chance in a real hunt and you might be surprized what happens.
Raves24
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:12 pm

she's having a hard time bringing the bird/dummy back. She wants to play with it . Ive heard that statement a lot over the last 40 years, I guess maybe that's the reason Ive never used one and only used duck and goose wings, give her time shes young
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
hunter

Postby southpaw92 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:28 pm

cluck give her time... my lab.. (great lines) wouldnt pick up feathers on land.. we were getting really frustrated with him... well opening day came and we shot two mallards... boom boom both went down...that damn dog jumped out of the boat and went at them like he had done it 100 times.... the thing ive noticed with labs is it all of a sudden the light goes on... keep going with her youll do fine
Canada Geese 17
Mallards 8
GW Teal 12
Gadwalls 2
Pheasants 7
southpaw92
hunter

Postby Griffdom » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:27 am

I assume your dog has not been FF'd. This should fix the problems your having. Post FF you should have a serviceable dog based on what you've said. One that will at least go get a duck and bring it back to hand.
Griffdom
hunter

Postby Scduckhunter78 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:51 am

Yea, she's been force fetched. Thanks for all the insight guys, I'm defiantly not giving up on her. Way to early or that. It's good to hear that some of you have had this happen before. She has not been in any situation with love birds. I had her over Labor Day wkend and tossed a few frozen birds for her am she did pretty good with them but had a issue picking it up several times. I'm sure she will do just fine and it's just me being worried about the outcome. Thanks guys!!
Scduckhunter78
hunter

Postby SmallWater_ » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:22 am

I agree with all the other guys here have said. I have a 7 month old lab from great lines, and the trainer was having a heck of a time getting him to go into thick cover to retrieve anything. Once he shot live birds down over him, it was game on. The comment made about "clicking" while on live hunts is very true.

Also, remember all dogs learn at their own pace. While your dog might not come from proven lines with hunt test results, it doesn't mean that the lineage isn't capable. If she's going out, retrieving with enthusiasm and isn't afraid of the gun, then you have a dog that will work long term IMO. Every dog has its quirks, just be patient and see. Also, if your dog has already been force fetched, but is still playing with the birds on land, then the trainer probably needs to go back to the force fetch table and tighten that up. If it's been done properly then the dog should be bringing the bird back to heel every time without fail.

Patience, practice and exercise. Your dog will be fine. We all have high expectations of our dogs, and sometimes it can be overwhelmingly frustrating when they don't progress as fast as we'd like. I always tell my buddies that my new dog is like the fat kid in gym class or he's riding the short bus to school. He's a bit dense. Now that I know that, I can lower my expectations here early in the dogs life and give him the patience and understanding that he needs to succeed. Spend a lot of time with your pup and all will be good.
SmallWater_
hunter

Postby dogyak » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:11 am

Scduckhunter78 wrote:Yea, she's been force fetched. Thanks for all the insight guys, I'm defiantly not giving up on her. Way to early or that. It's good to hear that some of you have had this happen before. She has not been in any situation with love birds. I had her over Labor Day wkend and tossed a few frozen birds for her am she did pretty good with them but had a issue picking it up several times. I'm sure she will do just fine and it's just me being worried about the outcome. Thanks guys!!

Sorry to say this , but no way was this pup properly Force Fetch . A dog that had a thorough FF program would never drop anything . You are in SC , I would contact Labman63 on here with a PM , drive to where he is at in NC . Let him look at your puppy . Are you can contact Stephen Durrance in GA . He is one of the best pro's around , but has a lot of dogs at his kennel (Taylor Farms) . I really think their are a lot of holes with the training on this pup .
dogyak
hunter

Postby labman63 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:49 pm

I'll be glad to take a look at her for you. Won't cost you a dime but the drive. I even have a guest house you can spend the night if you like. 919-928-4147

Dave
labman63
hunter

Postby dogyak » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:34 pm

labman63 wrote:I'll be glad to take a look at her for you. Won't cost you a dime but the drive. I even have a guest house you can spend the night if you like. 919-928-4147

Dave

ScHunter , I highly recommend you jump on this . Your a good man Dave . I stand behind on what I've said , this pup was never properly put thru a Force Fetch program . Good luck ! :thumbsup:
dogyak
hunter

Postby Scduckhunter78 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:47 am

I totally agree with what you guys are telling me, something just doesn't seem right about all this, but I will take advantage of all the remarks and even call you Dave sometime this week! I defiantly appreciate all the input from you guys.
Scduckhunter78
hunter

Postby Scduckhunter78 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:50 am

I totally agree with what you guys are telling me, something just doesn't seem right about all this, but I will take advantage of all the remarks and even call you Dave sometime this week! I defiantly appreciate all the input from you guys.
Scduckhunter78
hunter

Postby bakerloo » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:15 pm

labman63 wrote:I'll be glad to take a look at her for you. Won't cost you a dime but the drive. I even have a guest house you can spend the night if you like. 919-928-4147

Dave

That's a hell of deal.
bakerloo
hunter

Postby Griffdom » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:26 pm

dogyak wrote:

Dave

ScHunter , I highly recommend you jump on this . Your a good man Dave . I stand behind on what I've said , this pup was never properly put thru a Force Fetch program . Good luck ! :thumbsup:

X3 on the FF not properly being done.
Griffdom
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum