Dog vest problem.

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Dog vest problem.

Postby bknilvr00 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:29 pm

So yesterday was opening day for us here in Washington state. Took my 1 year old lab out for his first hunt. Everything went well for the hunt except for the overall lack of birds and the horrible tide. It wasn't until the end of the hunt that I noticed something was off with my dog Murphy. He just looked uncomfortable. Anyways, fast forward to when I get home. It's about 8 at night and my wife wakes me up from my nap, she's concerned about Murphy. He is not himself, walking around with his tail down, and his armpits are raw and sticky. Which he keeps trying to lick. So we take him in to the emergency vet and they say he sprained his tail, no biggie there, but his pits look like he's having an allergic reaction. So I told them he wears a neoprene vest and the vet said that she herself was allergic to neoprene and the same thing happens to her. So they gave him an antihistamine shot and shaved the fur off the affected area. We are to keep him on a benedryl schedule till his skin heals completely. One side looks 100 percent better while the other is healing a little slower. So my question is this. Has anyone else had this problem? And are there any alternative vests I can get or is he going to have to go without? He's got some thick fur even for an inside dog so if it comes down to him going without its not that big a deal. However, I wear all kinds of gear to stay warm and dry so I can at least afford to do the same for my dog. Hopefully somebody can shed some light on this for me.
Sent from my space modulator.
bknilvr00
hunter

Re: Dog vest problem.

Postby Raves24 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:50 pm

Did you cut the vest in the armpits so that it is several inches below his armpit? Im guessing it rubbed him raw and got very irritated. I also cut the neck so that doesn't rub. I have never heard of a dog that is allergic to a vest. Not saying it can't happen, dogs have allergies just like humans. Im not sure if there are any out there that arn't neoprene that can be used for water?
Raves24
hunter

Postby Riley » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:47 pm

Yea you want to make sure you trim your vest to fit. Heck I have a poodle and only have about 2 inches of material between her front legs

Sent from my private server on the moon.
Brandon
Lucy the poodle
Riley
hunter

Postby TCFarmer » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:45 am

Definitely would check the fit of the vest. If not fit properly the vest is probably rubbing and causing the irritation. A less likely thought would be if there are loose areas it could let water in and hold it causing irritation from something in the water.

If you hunting W WA you can hunt most of the season without a vest. My dog usually wears a vest for protection from sticks and fences. She probably only wears the vest a few days per year to protect from the cold.
TCFarmer
hunter

Postby gomezmk » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:58 am

Got a vest for my dog but she did not like the area around the arm pits. I grabbed a sharpe and trimmed off some material and now she loves it! Looks like a muscle shirt but shes confortable now.
Attachments
jackie vest.JPG
gomezmk
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum