Cold Weather and Stopping Using Dog

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Cold Weather and Stopping Using Dog

Postby Phild » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:04 am

Just wondering when you call it quites for your hunting buddy, the other day we had to break ice to get to the blind, it was -7C or 19F and the water was 1C or 33F. With the wind it made for a cold day int eh duck blind, Gauge doe have a vest and I did have a shammy to towle he off between birds. We hunted for about 2 1/2 hrs and things were slow so she had some wait times between birds and comign on the end I knew she was getting cold and her shaking was out of cold not excitement. Poor girls eyelashes and whiskers were iced over but she didn't want ot go back in to the truck to warm up. After I put her in the truck with a warm blanket and heater on she cried when she seen me goign back to the blind. I was just too scared to hunt her anymore.

Thanks
Phil
Phild
hunter

Re: Cold Weather and Stopping Using Dog

Postby shoveler_shooter » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:48 am

What breed? Some labs don't tolerate the cold very well, but 19 degrees should be fine. A lab from a hunting line should be able to handle that.
UmatillaJeff wrote:This load would drop ducks and geese like thors hammer in my hands, I would bet the equity in my house on it.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:27 am

I've hunted -15 before! :eek: BUT we were out of the wind, moved around a lot to stay warm (all of us) and the dog was dry!!! Temp really doesnt mean much its conditions!!! Dogs have got hypothermia in 30 degree temps! They got cold wet sitting in the wind etc.. and core temp dropped! You normally will get cold before (a proper conditioned to weather, middle age, good condition) dog will The only time i worry about my dogs is when we are standing in water and they are on a Ruff stand They cant ever really get a good shake and dry off... So i keep a eye on them

Use your head... Keep your eye on your dog... Take steps to keep them warm... keep them off the cold ground and make sure they get good and dry
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby mauserfan » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:47 am

I've hunted cold alot with a dog and is not so hard on them if you are on dry land so the dog can roll to dry and be a bit comfortable. I'll even start a fire to warm up around. In a boat/canoe, or on snow, and it gets alot tougher on the dog. As mentioned, the wind is a biggie as well. My Labs have had swollen anal glands from the cold water a couple of times,i.e.-they can hardly wag their tail. You were smart to leave her in the truck as their heart just tells them to keep working. I will try to get a lot of calories in them as well...hamburger, sausage, etc. Often, they will shut down eating when worked hard so something they love usually works. I have never used a dog field hunting so I can't speak to that. have fun...Mauser
The greatest duck call known to mankind?....A fresh cup of coffee from the Thermos.
mauserfan
hunter

Postby Phild » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:51 am

Sorry Balck Lab, tiny at 53 lbs,

As well we were in a blind that is on a lake not land ot run on, no real spot out of the wind as she looks out her door and no place for a fire lol. She does have room to shake off and I do towel her down after each bird. Maybe I will up her diet for this next couple of weeks before we freeze totaly up. I didn't mind going to getting birds knowing that hse was safe and warm in my truck I am not as fast as her but damn I am a great marker LOL.

Thanks
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby Shrek » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:08 pm

I've hunted 0 degree days with labs before. Also a couple of below 0 days. Just throw a vest on me and use your brain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Shrek
hunter

Postby ibedamn » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:35 pm

I always keep my dog heavier during the hunting season and use a vest. I've always believed fat is a good insulator
ibedamn
hunter

Postby brsutton86 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:04 pm

What about an indoor lab. Smaller side 55 lbs. I was planning on letting her spend the night in the kennel every other night to acclimate to the weather starting now as its not bad cold yet. This thread has me wondering if that's enough or if I should have her spend time in the kennel daily to get a thick coat. Typically 30s-40s is the coldest but can dip down to teens. Nothing like the folks in Canada deal with though.
Livin' the hive life
Buy USA raw honey

Christian Waterfowlers Assoc.
http://www.thecwa.org
brsutton86
hunter

Postby Shrek » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:02 pm

brsutton86 wrote:What about an indoor lab. Smaller side 55 lbs. I was planning on letting her spend the night in the kennel every other night to acclimate to the weather starting now as its not bad cold yet. This thread has me wondering if that's enough or if I should have her spend time in the kennel daily to get a thick coat. Typically 30s-40s is the coldest but can dip down to teens. Nothing like the folks in Canada deal with though.

Let her outside for a few hours a day. That alone will help build a thick enough coat to hunt those temps. My old lab used to sleep in the bed with me, and he hunted down to 0 degrees and less. Given that he was a 115 lb moose (no joke), but just spending a few hours outside a day will build a coat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Shrek
hunter

Postby Dakota Creek » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:18 pm

Good thread on temperatures and dogs .... goes to show it does not need to be "really" cold, but we have to keep an eye on our dogs while hunting -
http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums ... ld+weather
GMHR-II Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH
MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
Dakota Creek's Long Shot
Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc
Drake's Bay Super Duty (2004 - 2013)
Dakota Creek
hunter

Postby buckmeister » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:09 pm

Really like the "sugar coat". Water proof and wind proof max 4 cordura lined with wool. The coat fastens around the dog with magnets and when the dog goes on retrieve the coat falls off. You could still use the vest with the coat in harsh conditions in Canada. Safe, warm and good camo also.
"Give me liberty or give me death"
buckmeister
hunter

Postby Phild » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:50 am

buckmeister wrote:Really like the "sugar coat". Water proof and wind proof max 4 cordura lined with wool. The coat fastens around the dog with magnets and when the dog goes on retrieve the coat falls off. You could still use the vest with the coat in harsh conditions in Canada. Safe, warm and good camo also.

Have on on order :thumbsup:

Thanks for the replies, I went to the vet for some protien suppliments but they had none. Looks like lean ground beef it is for old pooch.

Later
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby Jesse Jaymes » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:10 am

+1 on the post. I am a new owner and 1st time duck hunter with a dog. It's only into our 4th day of the season and its been pretty cold in the early morning shadows. I will definately have to keep an eye on my pup.

I intended to take a chamois towel and dry him. Seems others do the same.
Jesse Jaymes
hunter

Postby Phild » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:39 am

Sue I read that story some time ago and that was the exact one that was in my head when I knew she was cold. Great reminder.

Thanks
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby SoupSandwich99 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:21 pm

Dakota Creek wrote:Good thread on temperatures and dogs .... goes to show it does not need to be "really" cold, but we have to keep an eye on our dogs while hunting -
http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums ... ld+weather

One of my training mentors knows the poster of the linked thread. He has absolutely hammered on me about making sure I have some way to get the dog up out of the water when he is waiting to retrieve. Ruff stand, boat cushion, whatever, as long as the dog is not constantly in the cold water.
SoupSandwich99
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum