starting a 5 yr old lab on a e collar is it to late?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

starting a 5 yr old lab on a e collar is it to late?

Postby radisson » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:54 pm

I have a 5 yr old lab that we have had since she was 8 weeks old more of a house dog than hunting but being a lab has the drive just not the proper training. When we got her I was not into duck hunting but over the last few years became my favorite hunting over deer which I have been doing since a kid. She is considered an alpha female by most that meet her and is stubborn do you think its to late to start her on a e collar?? We do not want to ruin the dog that she is very happy and very good with the kids.
Thanls
radisson
hunter

Re: starting a 5 yr old lab on a e collar is it to late?

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:01 pm

Depends the dog.....and on if the dog was taught to learn, and how the dog responds to pressure. All e-collar pressure is applied on the premise that the dog is taught HOW to turn the pressure OFF....i.e., doing what you want the dog to do and the dog becomes conditioned to think that this is the "switch" to turn off the stimulation.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Re: starting a 5 yr old lab on a e collar is it to late?

Postby ohio mike » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:51 pm

Indaswamp wrote:Depends the dog.....and on if the dog was taught to learn, and how the dog responds to pressure. All e-collar pressure is applied on the premise that the dog is taught HOW to turn the pressure OFF....i.e., doing what you want the dog to do and the dog becomes conditioned to think that this is the "switch" to turn off the stimulation.

Well put.
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly gun.
ohio mike
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum