Sit faster on whistle sit

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, HNTFSH, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Sit faster on whistle sit

Postby Morphsuit » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:28 pm

I got my pup sitting on whistle for here and leaving my side to either place or back.

On the here whistle sit I'll stop him about halfway blow the whistle and he will slowly creep up further before he sits, a very slow sit.

Anyway to make him sit quicker?
Morphsuit
hunter

Re: Sit faster on whistle sit

Postby CatSquirrel » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:35 pm

Can you give us a little more info?

Is your pup collar conditioned or just in the puppy stage?
CatSquirrel
hunter

Postby Morphsuit » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:24 pm

CatSquirrel wrote:Can you give us a little more info?

Is your pup collar conditioned or just in the puppy stage?

Yes he is collar conditioned.
Morphsuit
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:13 pm

Whistle zap whistle
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Rick Hall » Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:47 am

Or toss a bumper for him as soon as he sits.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Spry Yellowdog » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:31 am

I ran into this problem after force to pile work. Her whistle sits were reasonable for a young learning dog before,
but once she was forced to that pile thats all she wanted was that bumper in her mouth and get it back to me ASAP!
Talking to a trainer he told me it's OK shows you did your pile work properly. Now create a new standard for whistle sitting.
Using a combo of praise and whistle-nick-whistle over a period of time keeping a balance of fun and control it became her standard
again. Once she realized that a whistle sit ment something good, like a bumper-bird somewhere else she seemed to enjoy it more and eager to do it. I think it became a trust issue between us. Take your time and be fair and balanced they will get it.

Spry
With a Dog...You never hunt alone.
Spry Yellowdog
hunter

Postby Morphsuit » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:02 pm

Thanks for the help everyone. It worked lol
Morphsuit
hunter

Postby alindsey1237 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:28 am

I never use the collar on force to pile except on the way to the pile. when the dog is on the way back with a bumper I would blow the whistle and yell sit with my hands in the air running at the dog. this indirect pressure caused the dog to sit. if my dog ends up taking too long on whistle sits we just go back to this stage of training until he has it down pat again. I try and only use collar pressure when absolutely neccissary. if used too much I believe it has less effect on a dog over time. Diesel is a brute with a high titration level. if over used he can work right through the highest setting on the collar.
Field Staff- Muddy Water Camo
Dog handler/trainer- Duck Dog Waterfowl tv
alindsey1237
hunter

Postby UK Springer » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:41 pm

This is a steadying issue.I first teach sit to motion during basic obedience.While walking pup on leash at heel you should be able to blow whistle keep walking and pup should be sitting were whistle was.This is worked to no leash.The rest comes in steps.Dog at side with check cord on toss bumper if dog breaks I bring back to heel and sit and I go get the bumper.This is done until solid.Then a cold dead bird the same.Then a live wing clip the same.Then the remote sit you can use your place board at first.At the distance of your check cord sit dog on board repeat process bumper dead bird live wing clip.If dog breaks back to remote sit and you go get the retrieve.Then we are were you are sit to motion but you missed a few steps.The suction being you.When the dog is on the way back to you and you blow the whistle then
toss the bumper between you and the pup(this helps teach dog to face handler) if dog doesn't sit right away bring back to were whistle was blown you get retrieve.Work this until solid then cold dead then live wing clip.Then all this is added into the training field with lots of birds.Point being if dog isn't steady to a little suction of wanting to be back with you versus the whistle sit he will definitely will not be steady on wild birds.This way the excitement of wild birds doesn't override the training.
Last edited by UK Springer on Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
UK Springer
hunter

Postby UK Springer » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:10 pm

With the anticipation of the retrieve during sit to motion a positive side effect is dog sits fast.Real fast.
UK Springer
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum