How many of you...?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

How many of you...?

Postby Bigbopper916 » Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:36 pm

keep your dog in the house? After reading several posts, I have noticed that many people have different opinions on training and allowing a dog to live in the house. Can you please share your opinions?

Thanks
Bigbopper916
hunter

Postby phillipstd » Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:11 pm

well scince it's alway's nasty here in washington, and I don't have a nice heated kennel, my dog stays inside, I have to vacume allot, but I think you get allot more enjoyment outa your dog that way anyways, more socilization.
phillipstd
hunter

Postby donell67 » Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:33 pm

we keep our dogs in the house there spoiled. some people say it ruins them for hunting. my old yellow lab has been a house dog for about 5years now. he is still a great hunting dog. the new dog i got doesnt want to retrieve the birds. i dont think its because of being in the house. he just doesnt have the drive.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby gsphunter » Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:36 am

Has no affect on hunting ability to keep a dog in the house. I love when people see my laid back shorthair in the house and ask me does that dog actually hunt. I get a big smile and invite them to watch her in the field. Two different dogs! They know when its time to get fired up. And like Philip said you get more enjoyment out of them.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby aaron » Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:46 pm

I tried the kennel approach with 2 pups I bought in June. I felt it was a dismal failure when I compared their development with my adult house dog. They didn't listen nearly as well , they seemed to not care whether or not they were pleasing me during training sessions. Thus , I abandoned that idea and now all 3 stay in the house, and the pups are coming along beautifully.
A dog views his master as a God, it is our job to not prove otherwise.
aaron
hunter

Postby brucemacp » Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:42 pm

I've had a lot of dogs and kept all but two in the house, I would have kept the others in the house and in fact they could come in and out, they just liked it better outside. I think unless your a trainer your dog is your buddy and I think does better when they can be with you.
Kobie the wonder dog says" Hunting seasons over? Wake me up around noon"
brucemacp
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum