Opening Day problem with gunshots inside blind

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Opening Day problem with gunshots inside blind

Postby Tr1ggerHappy » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:54 am

I have a 1 year old chocolate lab that i have been training myself for the past year. He is forced fetched and does well on blind retrieves. Yesterday was opening day here and I had him out in the blind..First group came in we shot a couple and he was hiding under the bench in the blind. I took him out sent him and he retrieved all of them. Then we shot while he sat right next to the blind and he didnt flinch a bit and marked all the birds. I have shot with him numerous times before outside while he was directly on my side and he would never move. Now all of a sudden he gets scared while inside the blind. He would not bring the ducks to hand because he didnt want to come inside the blind he has been in multiple times before. Any information would really help
Thanks
Tr1ggerHappy
hunter

Re: Opening Day problem with gunshots inside blind

Postby Holeinmywaders » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:33 pm

Not sure I have any great advise but my dog was similar last year. He would raise a little ruckus getting to the other side of the boat when shots were fired. He is not gun shy and never really been gun shy he just didn't like the noise when he was younger. The only other time I seen him react negativly to shots was when I tried using a dummy launcher.

My advise is to expose him to more gunfire in instances where he does not react negatively. I spend lots of time at a trap range where my daughter shoots. He will lay just behind the firing line when the kids are shooting. He is so used to gunfire that he will just about sleep through it in the boat now.
Holeinmywaders
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:06 am

Shooting in confined spaces should be your first clue...........
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:14 am

I've seen more than a couple thought-to-be gun conditioned pups run for the truck the first time they heard a hunting type volley, rather than what they were accustomed to in training.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:53 am

You only trained for one very basis scenario. Did you even train for a legit hunting scenario? It’s a game changer when two three plus guns are going off at the same time.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Tr1ggerHappy » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:18 pm

I trained multiple scenarios never with more then 2 guys...I guess it's a lack of my fault I just wanted to know if anyone had any ideas of how they did it. Also if anyone had a similar problem.
Thanks
Tr1ggerHappy
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:14 am

Rick Hall wrote:I've seen more than a couple thought-to-be gun conditioned pups run for the truck the first time they heard a hunting type volley, rather than what they were accustomed to in training.

Tr1ggerHappy wrote:I trained multiple scenarios never with more then 2 guys...I guess it's a lack of my fault I just wanted to know if anyone had any ideas of how they did it. Also if anyone had a similar problem.
Thanks

Get yourself some multiple gunners on some shot flyers in the training field if possible.
Progression.
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby kwacksmacker » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:35 am

hhmmm, i told a guy not to be banging away like a jack leg in an actual huntin situation starting off. he got the same results as you did. shocker

:biggrin:
totals for 09/10 season
5 bald eagles, 3 swans, 475 hen canvassbacks, 37 pintails, 400 teal blue wings and the season hasn't even started.
kwacksmacker
hunter

Postby mauserfan » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:39 am

Kwaksmacker nailed it. Shoot singles for the pup with a SINGLE gun and hopefully a single shot. I would handle my young dogs and let my partner shoot. This way you can watch the dog's actions and positively support them. My best dog never did like much gunfire so I had to be conscious of that fact. You should to be aware that you need to hunt for the dog to make their outcome a success. Hope this helps....mauser :wink:
The greatest duck call known to mankind?....A fresh cup of coffee from the Thermos.
mauserfan
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:16 am

Tr1ggerHappy wrote: I have shot with him numerous times before outside while he was directly on my side and he would never move. Now all of a sudden he gets scared while inside the blind. He would not bring the ducks to hand because he didnt want to come inside the blind he has been in multiple times before. Any information would really help
Thanks

mauserfan wrote:Kwaksmacker nailed it. Shoot singles for the pup with a SINGLE gun and hopefully a single shot. I would handle my young dogs and let my partner shoot. This way you can watch the dog's actions and positively support them. My best dog never did like much gunfire so I had to be conscious of that fact. You should to be aware that you need to hunt for the dog to make their outcome a success. Hope this helps....mauser :wink:

So at what point , (after shooting #? SINGLE shots, and a SINGLE gun), would be a good time to introduce multiple gunners?

The way I see it, you can have an assistant shooting SINGLES 'till doomsday- and the dog may be just fine with it.
Just don't believe that's going to condition the dog to being near multiple gunners inside or outside a duckblind- you can't un-ring a bell.

Shoving the dog in a blind with multiple gunners for the first time wasn't a real good idea. Hopefully there's no a negative association with a duckblind now.
Might be helpfull to set the dog up in a dog blind in the training field with multiple guns from a distance, so he can mark and have more indirect contact with gunfire instead of having it so close for now. Keeping the dog active in the hunt and marking from a vantage point where he can see is a big plus, and gives the dog more reasoning for multiple guns vs. a bunch of meaningless gunfire going off and the dog can't see what's going on.

In the meantime, I'd consider dumping multiple guns and hunt alone in an effort to re-associate the dog with being inside a blind with gunfire.

Believe that sooner or later, there needs to be some progression here WITH multiple guns from a distance ...and don't forget about having some birds on hand.
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby mauserfan » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:12 am

Swampbilly - I should have made myself more clear. My point was to reinforce to the dog the association of the shot and the reward(bird). Do this outside of the blind. Get the dog crazy about the retrieving and then work him towards the blind. The drive to retrieve will be the fuel to move everything else forward. I was taught this by trainer/breeder Joe DeLoia. I am not a trainer but have trained my own four(4) labs with Joe's advice. Every dog's different but, they all had the desire to retrieve and this was their greatest asset to work with. Good point about having birds on hand to support the shot. Day by day now. Thanks....mauser
The greatest duck call known to mankind?....A fresh cup of coffee from the Thermos.
mauserfan
hunter

Postby Tr1ggerHappy » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:24 pm

Thanks for the advice guys im going out with one guy tomorrow. I am going to hunt an area where there is a make shift blind on a small island on a flooded field. Im going to sit outside the blind with the dog while my buddy wacks away at them. Like you all touched on, and let him see the reward of what comes from the gunshots with clear concise marks. I appreciate all the information.
Tr1ggerHappy
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:59 am

Another question. How long are the barrels on your guns? Does most of the sound end up resonating in the blind on the boat? dogs have way more sensitive hearing than we do and hear different frequencies than we do. You may well be overwhelming the dog with sound volume.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum