5mo lab wont deliver

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

5mo lab wont deliver

Postby SC_YellowDawg » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:52 pm

I have a 5 month old lab that is demonstrating some possessive behaviors when retrieving on land. He is great with obedience commands: Sit, Down, Here ...but he plays with the dummy on the way in, chewing it, tossing it, dropping it. And then often runs right by me and parades around with it in his mouth, lays down and chews it, or tries to entice me to chase him (even though I never do). Often takes me distracting him with another object to get his attention, causing him to drop the bumper where he is and come running to me.

I introduced him to retrieving in the hallway as soon as he was home, and he still retrieves with minimal issues inside when playing with toys. However, when it becomes formal training (sitting before the throw, waiting to break, retrieving to hand) he hardly ever brings the object (tried with bird wings and bumpers) back to me. He retrieves in the water well, however I always meet him at the bank to avoid these problems. Should I cut out the playful fetch and follow the same rules every time I throw something for him?

I have tried started using a 20ft training lead and reeling him back in when he is returning but have noticed a drop in his drive to fetch, even when playing in the house not clipped onto the lead. I'm worried that I am discouraging the retrieving behavior as a whole and not just the craziness.

This is my first lab and want to develop him into a solid hunting partner. Please offer some insight...
SC_YellowDawg
hunter

Re: 5mo lab wont deliver

Postby QuackHead89 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:10 pm

More obedience. Needs to be solid when he has the bumper in his mouth, as well as when he does not. For me my next move after working on more obedience would be force fetching and collar conditioning.
QuackHead89
hunter

Postby go get the bird » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:18 pm

Keep him on a check cord. You need to make the distinction that work is work, and when you say here, no matter what, he'd better listen. My dog was on a check almost all the time up until the beginning of this summer (roughly 15 or 16 months old). To this day, she is walked and taken outside with a choke chain and a leash. You need to work on basic OB every time the opportunity presents itself.

Your pup is still young, and you can't expect him to be an expert in every aspect of the game. His failure to listen during basic OB with a bumper means that you've failed him somewhere, or you've yet to teach him what you want. The biggest part is finding out where YOUR shortcomings are and addressing them.

As far as the playing, dropping, and chewing, force fetch will likely take care of those issues, so long as it's done properly. Do some research on FF and CC. Get a training program and follow it. Consult a few pro-trainers and join a retriever club. If you do those things, and dedicate some time to actually learn about training, you will no doubt have a retriever you will be proud to own.
MackieKnife wrote:The moral of the story is...I'm retarded.
go get the bird
hunter

Postby SC_YellowDawg » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:40 pm

Thanks for the replies! I will definitely take the advice. Working on OB every chance, always using a check cord, and getting a program to follow. I know he's young, and I shouldn't rush but I want him to be the best he can be.

I realize my questions comes off as elementary but I've done a lot of reading and research on the basics of training and obedience. That being said, I'll be the first to admit I'm far from an expert on either and this is my first hunting dog. I realize something I did (or didn't do) caused this "issue" in the first place.

Any particular program y'all would recommend? I know there's a ton out there. (What did you use? Would you use it again or try something different?)

And I was hoping FF would be mentioned as PART of the clean up process. I know it's not the only solution. Is there a general rule of thumb as far as age to start FF? He doesn't have all his adult teeth yet, so I've heard to at lest wait until his mouth isn't killing him to start that process.
SC_YellowDawg
hunter

Postby Rutin » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:44 pm

Also put into the factor that he could be teething! This is the time for OB and let the bumper sit for awhile IMO
Sargent Taylor's Hevi-Shot (Sarge)
Rutin
hunter

Postby SC_YellowDawg » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:52 pm

Rutin wrote:Also put into the factor that he could be teething! This is the time for OB and let the bumper sit for awhile IMO

He's definitely teething had one fall out on the floor today while playing with him. Thanks for the advice, will do.
SC_YellowDawg
hunter

Postby dogyak » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:37 pm

go get the bird wrote:Keep him on a check cord. You need to make the distinction that work is work, and when you say here, no matter what, he'd better listen. My dog was on a check almost all the time up until the beginning of this summer (roughly 15 or 16 months old). To this day, she is walked and taken outside with a choke chain and a leash. You need to work on basic OB every time the opportunity presents itself.

Your pup is still young, and you can't expect him to be an expert in every aspect of the game. His failure to listen during basic OB with a bumper means that you've failed him somewhere, or you've yet to teach him what you want. The biggest part is finding out where YOUR shortcomings are and addressing them.

As far as the playing, dropping, and chewing, force fetch will likely take care of those issues, so long as it's done properly. Do some research on FF and CC. Get a training program and follow it. Consult a few pro-trainers and join a retriever club. If you do those things, and dedicate some time to actually learn about training, you will no doubt have a retriever you will be proud to own.

This above , don't FF this pup until after 6 months . His adult teeth should be in . Get someone who knows how to do this , not someone who's done it one time . If you cannot find someone to help , send him to a pro , it will be worth it-trust me ! Good luck and chill out , he's only 5 months . It's all about fun and bonding .
dogyak
hunter

Postby labman63 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:47 pm

Without seeing said dog I would stop all retrieving. Get OB solid and then FF. I have a 4 month old that sounds just like yours. I am reeling her in and making her deliver but as soon as I see teething I will stop until adult teeth are in.
labman63
hunter

Postby SC_YellowDawg » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:22 pm

Thanks for the advice y'all. Ok so sounds like I gotta few months to let his adult teeth come in and find a pro to help me FF him. Used the professional retriever trainers association website and have several within 2hrs drive of me. Any pro suggestions in South Carolina?

Definitely gonna continue to drill OB. Right now we usually get about 3-4 good sessions a day. He knows sit, down, here, with verbal cues and hand signals. Started working the whistle cues in last week for sit and here.

Should I stop ALL retrieving (including playful stuff in the house, for fear of making the situation worst?) or just stop the more structured training in the yard (reeling him in when he doesn't deliver)?
SC_YellowDawg
hunter

Postby dogyak » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:06 pm

SC_YellowDawg wrote:Thanks for the advice y'all. Ok so sounds like I gotta few months to let his adult teeth come in and find a pro to help me FF him. Used the professional retriever trainers association website and have several within 2hrs drive of me. Any pro suggestions in South Carolina?

Definitely gonna continue to drill OB. Right now we usually get about 3-4 good sessions a day. He knows sit, down, here, with verbal cues and hand signals. Started working the whistle cues in last week for sit and here.

Should I stop ALL retrieving (including playful stuff in the house, for fear of making the situation worst?) or just stop the more structured training in the yard (reeling him in when he doesn't deliver)?

You could give Stephen Durrance in Ga a call . Taylor Farms kennels . Another good person that posted on your post is Labman63 , he's a pro who many on here have said nothing but good things . He also goes out of his way to help from what I've seen . If you were close to me , I would help . Stop the retrieving for now due to his teeth coming in . His mouth will be sore . Work his OB in the yard , the park , car show-you get the picture .
dogyak
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum