My chessie cut his paw one week before opening day

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, swampbilly 1980, captainkevan

My chessie cut his paw one week before opening day

Postby seantriin » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:16 am

He was doin so well at 8 months and I was looking forward to his first hunt. We weren't even training. He was just out swimming. when we got back to the truck I noticed blood. Got home and washed it out real good with anti bacteral soap and put somehydrogen peroxide. Then used some double antibiotic cream and dressed it with 4x4 and kerlix. Had to put duck tape and one of the kids socks so he wouldn't bother it. Vet says stitches usually tear. Just keep dry and clean and change dressing. I'm sure many have had experience with this. Any advice? I will keep an eye on him for signs of infection. Kind of took the wind out of my sail for hunting but I still would like to go. My first season as well and I don't have a boat. I have waders so I guest I will need to find some shallow water.
seantriin
hunter

Re: My chessie cut his paw one week before opening day

Postby i_willie12 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:22 am

normally takes 2-3 weeks to heal up and keep them out of water! Had brother and another friend just go through this...
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:30 am

Wonder if yotes and wolves quit hunting for a couple weeks when they cut their paws :huh:
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby i_willie12 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:32 am

LaRedneck wrote:Wonder if yotes and wolves quit hunting for a couple weeks when they cut their paws :huh:

Nope but they get invections and die... Life span of a wolve 5-6 years life span of dog 12-15
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby Pumpgunner » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:03 am

My Chessie has had this happen, once he split the web on his paw all the way back to the bottom of his toes, he was out for 3 weeks and then on the first trip after the stitches were out it split again. Finally had to let it heal on its own. Last year he got a phragmites spear in his paw and it swelled up and he was out for a week. It's a pain, but I look at dogs like they are pro football players-they work hard and they are going to get hurt from time to time. It's hard to wait for recovery but the best thing you can do is not rush it. Good luck!
Avery- the K-Mart of waterfowl gear.
Pumpgunner
hunter

Postby seantriin » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:23 am

It is tough to wait but I would rather he heal properly especially since if it only takes a few weeks to heal. That would Still leave plenty of hunting season. I guess I all have to find some shallow creeks or ponds to hnt for now.
seantriin
hunter

Postby Rise and Shine Retrievers » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:34 am

When I got my first Lab he cut his foot one year and missed the first 10 days of the season. It's a good excuse to have 2 dogs. :beer:
A Lab you train, a Chessie you negotiate with.
Rise and Shine Retrievers
hunter

Postby rambored » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:38 am

I have had very good luck with "Purple Violet spray" available at Farm Coops. After cleaning the wound use triple antibiotic and spray liberally. They heal very quickly!
rambored
Newb

Return to Hunting Dog Forum