Training to use a boat ramp

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Training to use a boat ramp

Postby Clytnbkr23 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:20 pm

This will be my first year hunting my 14 month old lab. Our blind is built on a 28 foot pontoon boat and the dog box is on the side of the blind. He hasn't been trained to climb back onto the ramp to get back into the blind after retrieves. Would it just come natural for him to learn this on his own? If not, how should I go about teaching him to use the ramp? Thanks in advance.
Clytnbkr23
hunter

Re: Training to use a boat ramp

Postby UK Springer » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:11 am

Place board train.Board 4-6 inches off ground.After solid on place command it can be used for dog stands in flooded timber layout blind by putting board in or on in training.In your case place would be the ramp followed by here then place again if there is a dog blind on the boat.We do this because place will become any place in any hunting situation a rock a stump etc.
UK Springer
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:51 am

Have learned over the years that the easier you make it for the dog to re-enter the boat, the easier it is to train the dog to do it.
Have also learned that sometimes the "best way" to teach pup to return to it or use it, is to make it the place where you SEND him from for marks. After he learns to use it, then you can SEND him remotely from the dog blind if ya' want.

Clytnbkr23 wrote: Our blind is built on a 28 foot pontoon boat
WoW, you guys have an aircraft carrier for a floatin' blind! :yes:
Agree with 'Springer on the place board training, but before he can go to his "place", I'd assume you've got to get him up the ramp first.
If it's possible, get near or in front of the ramp and command him HERE, (or whatever command you use to get him to "come").

Tap on the ramp, clap your hands, whatever you can do to encourage the dog to swim to it. It's going to take some REPS.
I normally ask the dog to drop and get the hand delivery before he gets into the boat, then let him shake while still far enough away to keep from completely soaking everyone, then command him to his "place" .

Make the ramp the only option for the dog to get back in, or to go to.
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby UK Springer » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:12 am

I keep the boat on the trailer and first use place to get on ramp then from there to boat also toss doken in boat (primary reinforcer) not releasing dog from place in boat until ready(the reward).Then outside the boat.At this point dog will place on ramp or in boat.
UK Springer
hunter

Postby UK Springer » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:23 am

Swamp glad to see your still here.Have a good season.
UK Springer
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum