Picking up geese

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Picking up geese

Postby WillFultz » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:32 pm

Anyone have any tips to get a dog to pick up geese. She's been professionally trained...picks up ducks and doves no problem...I bought her that large goose bumper and she's been doing well with that...she wouldn't pick up geese in the field though. This is my first dog and am no expert...any help would be appreciated!
WillFultz
hunter

Re: Picking up geese

Postby brsutton86 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:19 pm

Try throwing a goose you shot for a water retrieve. Its easier for them to retreive the big floating bird than picking it up off the ground. It builds confidence, worked for my dog after she was dragging by the wing on her first goose retreive.
Livin' the hive life
Buy USA raw honey

Christian Waterfowlers Assoc.
http://www.thecwa.org
brsutton86
hunter

Postby ten lb test » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:32 pm

Dan Hosford, Working Mans Retriever, has a very thorough video showing how to do this. He starts with a dead duck, which the dog is familiar with & then goes to a dead goose. He is a hunting dog pro in Spokane WA, but I'm sure you can find his site on Google, Pete
ten lb test
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:54 am

[quote="ten lb test"He starts with a dead duck, which the dog is familiar with & then goes to a dead goose.[/quote]

Guiding has put me on hand for quite a few first birds, ducks and geese, and that's worked for us. I tell the owners not to fuss Pup (and make the bird seem a negative thing) and we make the retrieve ourselves, then put Pup in the familiar position of retrieving from heel with a bumper or bird it's been retrieving for a couple retrieves to prime the pump before substituting the unfamiliar bird into that familiar scenario. Can't say it will work for all dogs, but will say it's worked with all we've tried it with.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby olclamman » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:48 am

first question how old is the pup what rick said no big deal water work easy way to start them on geese
not hunting but training
retired less money more wife
olclamman
hunter

Postby alindsey1237 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:31 am

make sure the goose is dead completely. a hissing goose flapping it's wings at your pup can be very intimidating. if the dog is professionaly (force fetched)trained throw the goose as you would a bumper if it runs to the goose and refuses the retrieve tell it "NO" and command "FETCH". if it refuses again nick the dog and command fetch. again if a refusal NO followed with a fetch command and nick again. at this point if the dog refuses again command fetch and burn the dog to the bird. at any point the dog gets it's mouth on the bird and is making an attempt to pick it up there should be no collar pressure. get extremely excited for your pup walk away from him backwards and show a ton of praise. He should understand at this point what you want from him.

my black lab pup did this on his first goose hunt. as soon as I burnt him to the bird and praised as soon as he had it in his mouth he never hesitated again. if you let the pup learn he can refuse the birds and get away with it you will develop a bad habbit. you may need to let him build some confidence on ducks for a while. all dogs progress at different rates. in a hunting scenario try not to put the pup in a situation he can fail. if he refuses the goose either A put him up and finish your hunt or B stop the hunt and make it a training session until he understands. setting a good foundation with your first season will set you up for either many years of great success and fun hunts with your pup or many years of constant battle and frustration.
Field Staff- Muddy Water Camo
Dog handler/trainer- Duck Dog Waterfowl tv
alindsey1237
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:56 am

geese just take experience!! They have to learn how to pick them up... Just keep a goose and train with it
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby GarDuck » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:41 am

When introducing a new bird to a dog that likes to retrieve and has been through FF i generally try and play with dog and bird before resorting to force. Not sure really why I just think I enjoy watching the process unfold more. Maybe it contributes to the dogs style maybe not. Either way will work unless you have a dog that dislikes retrieveing in general in which case just pinch em and move on.
GarDuck
hunter

Postby WillFultz » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:18 pm

olclamman wrote:first question how old is the pup what rick said no big deal water work easy way to start them on geese
not hunting but training

She's almost two...thanks for all the advice guys!
WillFultz
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum