Choosing DD puppy from litter

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Choosing DD puppy from litter

Postby chrisss » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:29 pm

It's time for me to finally choose a pup in a month and was wondering how everyone chooses a pup and what I should look for and avoid from pup to pup.

I know one dog is very whining and seems very dependent while the others are not but I like his color. Should I choose a different one?
chrisss
hunter

Re: Choosing DD puppy from litter

Postby B.E.Nelli » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:04 pm

Most any dog from a good breeder will be a good dog. Sometimes the last pick of the litter ends up being the best of the bunch, its really hard to pick the best pup. I personally like to see a pup that ventures out on its own from the other pups. But is willing to follow you around. I also look for eye contact. Check overall physical condition. All toes, eyes and teeth look good. Drop your keys on the concrete and see if they look to check hearing. Size can usually be determined as well. the biggest pup at this stage will usually stay that way. Look at the parents for an indicator of how big that is. The feather on a string game is fun and some people say it shows prey drive. Not sure if I buy that, but nothing wrong with doin it. Like I said, look for attributes you want in your dog, and physical well being first. if its a healthy dog from a good breeder, you should have a decent pup regardless. Good luck man, you are in for a great time!
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby 940AC » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:27 pm

Temperament test will help.
940AC
hunter

Postby OmegaRed » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:36 am

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=226859

Read up on that. Also read the "working dog photos" thread...I have some random pics in there too. My girl is 5.5 months right now.

(edited): actually this thread since the first one got crap on by ppl arguing

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=230108

I have some pictures in that thread when she was little. I had first pick - and I didn't like her looks at first, but after getting pictures from the other two females that I could have had I like Kate's looks the best by far. It's really hard to determine what they are gonna look like when they are at that age. I wasn't too keen on having my breeder pick the pup that I wanted, but the way scheduling worked out, I was the 2nd to last person to physically pick up my pup. So I told him what characteristics I wanted and he did a pretty good job of fulfilling what I wanted. They should be able to tell the ones that are a bit more headstrong vs. the ones that want to be a little closer to you.

I don't know if I necessarily believe all the hype concerning puppies either, short of sizing. My girl was the biggest in the litter, and is the same size/weight of the big male in the litter at this age. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions...I went through the agony and waiting that you did just a few short months ago. Good luck and post up some pics when you get them from the breeder. BTW, where are you getting a pup from?
If you can dream---and not make dreams your master;
If you can think---and not make thoughts your aim,
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same.
-RK
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby chrisss » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:46 pm

OmegaRed wrote:http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=226859

Read up on that. Also read the "working dog photos" thread...I have some random pics in there too. My girl is 5.5 months right now.

I have some pictures in that thread when she was little. I had first pick - and I didn't like her looks at first, but after getting pictures from the other two females that I could have had I like Kate's looks the best by far. It's really hard to determine what they are gonna look like when they are at that age. I wasn't too keen on having my breeder pick the pup that I wanted, but the way scheduling worked out, I was the 2nd to last person to physically pick up my pup. So I told him what characteristics I wanted and he did a pretty good job of fulfilling what I wanted. They should be able to tell the ones that are a bit more headstrong vs. the ones that want to be a little closer to you.

I don't know if I necessarily believe all the hype concerning puppies either, short of sizing. My girl was the biggest in the litter, and is the same size/weight of the big male in the litter at this age. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions...I went through the agony and waiting that you did just a few short months ago. Good luck and post up some pics when you get them from the breeder. BTW, where are you getting a pup from?

I chose my pup on Wednesday night. From the videos I have seen of the pups and watching them for an hour on Wednesday I am happy with my pick. Even through I prefered the solid ones, this one showed a lot of confidence and his coat is amazing.
chrisss
hunter

Postby OmegaRed » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:56 pm

chrisss wrote:
OmegaRed wrote:http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=226859

I chose my pup on Wednesday night. From the videos I have seen of the pups and watching them for an hour on Wednesday I am happy with my pick. Even through I prefered the solid ones, this one showed a lot of confidence and his coat is amazing.

How old are they right now?
If you can dream---and not make dreams your master;
If you can think---and not make thoughts your aim,
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same.
-RK
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby Griffdom » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:01 pm

I don't have a DD, but I wanted to congratulate you on your choice of an ugly v dog. Good choice for the do it aller. What do you plan to hunt with your DD? My griff has a very strong drive to retrieve. He is pretty young at 5 months yesterday.
Griffdom
hunter

Postby ohio mike » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:03 pm

They change colors several times in my limited experience. Also they all like to be close to their family. Being clingy is part of the deal when you get one. The most interesting dog I've ever had. He had a bad start in life and has rebounded very well. Getting a pup from a responsible breeder as yours seems to be will more then likely ensure a great dog no matter which one you pick. Hold on tight,your in for a hell of a ride!
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly gun.
ohio mike
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum