Lab Pup Purchasing advice?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Lab Pup Purchasing advice?

Postby C.J. » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:01 pm

I am going to be purchasing a lab puppy in the next couple months and want to make sure I do everything I can to select a good blood line and start the dog off right. I have had several labs before that were only used for Duck hunting. If its possible I want to train this one to do Duck, dove, Deer tracking (blood trail), and possibly antler sheds.

Here are some of my questions:
-any other specific sites geared toward labs and hunting I should check out? The only ones I could find did not seem to have much hunting knowledge.
- Is it possible to train a dog to do all of those things ?
- Any good books or articles on selecting the right pup? And what to look for?
C.J.
hunter

Re: Lab Pup Purchasing advice?

Postby j towne » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:56 pm

Make sure it has curly hair and it says Chesapeake Bay Retriever on the registration.
Hunting the Chesapeake with Chesapeake's.
Captain Thor of the Chesapeake **, MH, WDQ (Q 3rd)
Captain Thor's Gracie girl MH, WDQ
Captain Thor's Lulu Belle **, WDQ (Q JAM, D 2nd)
j towne
hunter

Postby brsutton86 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:01 pm

Look here, tons of good info.
http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums ... ning-Forum

Just search threads here and there. Both sites very helpful.
Livin' the hive life
Buy USA raw honey

Christian Waterfowlers Assoc.
http://www.thecwa.org
brsutton86
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:40 am

You can train a dog to do as much as you have time for, and their ability.

I don't know how to train a dog to blood trail, but my last dog would scent trail. I would just point to the last know spot and command "search" and he'd run down the duck, goose, ground hog or deer to it or the hole or last spot he could find scent. Made it easy to find downed deer, real easy to what hole the ground hog ran too that you saw, ect.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby GarDuck » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:39 am

Labs can track a trail a deer and bay a jaguar. Just take some time to read and read some more there is a lot of solid help to be found just dont go visit pups until your ready to buy.
GarDuck
hunter

Postby C.J. » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:03 pm

Anyone else?
C.J.
hunter

Postby FNBBear » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:10 am

I was recently going through the same situation. I have picked out the bloodline and breeder I want a dog from. The way I was able to decide was by asking my friends that had labs who they got them from and if they knew of anybody else that had dogs from the breeder and then I would talk to those people. I also contacted many breeders I found online. If you ask if the dog is bred for hunting they will generally be very honest despite what the website says or shows. (People love to take pictures of show labs with ducks in their mouth) I went through many breeders who were very honest about their bloodline and told me I would be unhappy with a puppy from them if I wanted a hunting dog, so make sure the bloodline is full of hunters. Finally, a visit to the breeder is a great way to get information. I recently visited the breeder I will be getting my dog from and she was way back in the woods and had decoys all over her yard for training, good sign! When I went into her house all the pictures were either labs or waterfowl and she had a bunch of mounts. Also meeting the dogs, and I met 20 or so of her own personal dogs, I feel I was able to get a good idea of the size, look, hunting ability and disposition of her dogs. Now I just have to wait until January to go get my pup, momma goes in the whelping box next week.

That's just my 2 cents and I am sure there are other things you could do, but this is the process I followed and I have a great feeling about the whole thing

Good Luck!
FNBBear
hunter

Postby Dakota Creek » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:58 am

Look for a breeder who does health clearances on both sire and dam - minimally hips / elbows and eyes. If it were me, I would also want to see clearances on both parents on CNM and EIC. And as others have mentioned, look for hunting in the pedigree (titles or working stock).

It is much easier to train a pup that comes from working lines than it is to try to put the hunt into a pup whose parents, grandparents, etc were bred for the show ring. This is not to say it can't be done .... quite often, just easier.
GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
Dakota Creek's Long Shot
Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc
Dakota Creek
hunter

Postby Labnerd01 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:22 am

You will do best by finding a breeder that has been breeding dogs for 10 or 15 years or longer. These breeders are in it for the long haul and they know the good bad and ugly of their lines and they usually try to fix imperfections by breeding away from problems.

Next, as mentioned above-HEALTH CLEARANCES-demand that the breeder show proof of health clearances. Responsible breeders know to post the health clearances on the OFA website and they comply with the Canine Health Foundations and AKC guidelines. Nothing aggravates me more than to see a litter advertised stating they have this or that clearance but then they won't spend $15.00 to have the clearances posted properly on the OFA site.

Buy your puppy from a breeder who can produce an AKC or UKC four generation ( CERTIFIED) pedigree on the sire and dam. These pedigree will show titled ancestors and some health clearances. Ancestors with titles in Hunt Tests or AKC field trials should be spread well across the pedigree. This gives you some assurance your puppy will have inherited good genes for what you want to do with it. That said, I do not subscribe to the Titles to Titles theory of buying pups, I want to know the dog behind the title. However, many in the fancy get ants in their pants to go get a puppy from an FC titled male and or female. Having been in this since 1986 I learned from a dear friend and dog trainer many years ago that it does not take a Ferrari to run dirt track races and many FC titled dogs are just too high powered for the average hunter. I do believe in proven bloodlines which goes back to finding a breeder who has been breeding a line of dogs for 10 to 15 years or more.

Finally, remember "its what you do with it when you get it". Any old time dog breeder/trainer will tell you that to have a good dog, you should consider this rule. Its 35 to 40% in the genetics and its 60 to 75% in the training-the training makes the difference! Get your pup started early on birds and use them often.
Going Hunting without a trained retriever is like going on a honeymoon without a bride!
Labnerd01
hunter

Postby Tera Lanczak » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:15 pm

Hi there,

The answer to your question for training your dog to trail and hunt is; Yes. There is just a certain order in which you teach the desired tasks.

Here are a few sites to check out for some good hunting bloodlines:
http://www.trinityoaklabs.com/

http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?31-Classifieds-Lab-Puppies

Picking out a puppy article:
http://www.forcefetch.com/blog/2013/10/teras-training-tip-of-the-day-46/

Training: http://www.baybluekennels.com/training/

Hope this helps you find a good breeder and pick out the puppy with the talent to reach your goals.

Feel free to PM me with additional questions you may have.
Tera Lanczak
Trainer/Owner
Bay Blue Kennels
http://www.baybluekennels.com/
http://www.forcefetch.com/blog/
660-441-1605
"Building Champions"
Tera Lanczak
DHC Sponsor

Postby labsforme » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:36 am

Tera, sent you a PM.