Rescue Dogs

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Rescue Dogs

Postby kkelly » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:01 pm

Hey guys,

I'm looking at getting my first pup as a hunter. Because of some circumstances out of my control, I can't afford to purchase a lab from a breeder. Nor would I be able to take a pup to a trainer. I WANT TO MAKE IT CLEAR THAT I AM NOT HERE TO DISCUSS WHETHER OR NOT FINANCIALLY I SHOULD BE INVESTING IN A PUP. OR WHAT THE RISKS ARE AS FAR AS HEALTH OR SIMILAR ISSUES.

But what I would like to discuss is what I should look for in a pup. I am potentially going to be getting a rescue dog, or maybe a dog from a backyard or something so I know the chances of me getting an amazing dog are slim, but I want to know if you guys could give me some information as to what things I could look for in a pup. Any help would be much appreciated. Again, I FULLY understand that I am kind of going through with this totally backwards and uncoventionally, but its my only shot at a pup at this time.

Thanks again!

KKelly
kkelly
hunter

Re: Rescue Dogs

Postby dogyak » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:17 pm

If you are willing to deal with the risks such as heath issue's that could cost you a lot of money , but you could get lucky . I look for compact dogs with high muscular hindquarters , ample leg length and heads that aren't veritable basketballs . If possible , visit and watch the dogs run . They should flow across the ground gracefully and with minimal effort . Hope this helps some .
dogyak
hunter

Postby Grey Dog » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:39 am

When you get a pup you're getting potential. Potential is indicated by the breeding and the pedigree. Since most pup rescues come with neither the choice is purely based on what you can observe directly. I was in a similar circumstance several years ago and decided to go with an older dog. Ended up with a 3 y.o. former show pony that didn't work out for breeding purposes (Lose hips). He came for the price of neutering and I got a decent dog with a great pedigree. Also, he came with health clearances and X-rays. Of course he also came with some baggage and I'm learning to train a mature dog but that's part of the fun.

JMO- Contact the breed club rescue and breeders. Get on their lists of potential homes. Look for dogs available for re-homing as opposed to strays. See what is out there. Not all dogs are suitable for breeding or destined for greatness in the show ring or field competition.

Good luck! :thumbsup:
GD
Life is too short for cheap cigars or Bud in the can. - Grey Dog

Most of Society's ills may be traced to one, or both of two root causes,
too many people and not enough sense of humor. - Grey Dog
Grey Dog
hunter

Postby sharris » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:21 pm

Call some rescues and see if you can foster dogs. This way you can get a better idea of whether they will work for you. Look for a dog that is focused and has prey drive.
HR Annie Git Your Gun
Bird Retrieves for 2014-15 Season
Duck: 24
Dove: 4
Pheasant: 40
sharris
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum