Duck Hunting Forum banner

Catahoula dog as retriever?

12K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  moreychuck 
#1 ·
Has anyone here used a Catahoula dog as a retriever? If so, are they happy with the way they work?

#2 ·
I would think few people use them for such. They are often used as catch dogs for hog though. Although I wouldn't get a blackmouth cur for waterfowling either. I suspect you could get a little more versatility from them, even though they are also used on hogs. BMC's come with a couple different coat types. You would want to make sure that you got one with a thicker coat for the cold. Why not get a true versatile/continental that was bred for waterfowling/upland and tracking if your wanting something a little different? Why a catahula? Just curious.

#4 ·
Griffdom said:
I would think few people use them for such. They are often used as catch dogs for hog though. Although I wouldn't get a blackmouth cur for waterfowling either. I suspect you could get a little more versatility from them, even though they are also used on hogs. BMC's come with a couple different coat types. You would want to make sure that you got one with a thicker coat for the cold. Why not get a true versatile/continental that was bred for waterfowling/upland and tracking if your wanting something a little different? Why a catahula? Just curious.
Good post, Slight correction.
Catahoulas are a bay dog, and used as such. Bulldogs and Pits/Dogos are generally used a Catch dogs.

Agree with you on a good versatile.
Pudelpointers, Drahthaars a good choice. Drahthaars are most widely used by hunting establishment in Germany/Austria and their main quarry IS Boar, a team here in the states recently placed 10th in a Pro hog baying contest out of 42 teams, his dogs first try.
Jagd terriers are also heck on hogs and can be used to fetch though they are smaller in stature (20#) but dont let that fool you.
They are basically insane on hogs/fur with no quit or sense of self preservation, and very trainable.

#5 ·
TheSkunk said:
Griffdom said:
Good post, Slight correction.
Catahoulas are a bay dog, and used as such. Bulldogs and Pits/Dogos are generally used a Catch dogs.

Agree with you on a good versatile.
Pudelpointers, Drahthaars a good choice. Drahthaars are most widely used by hunting establishment in Germany/Austria and their main quarry IS Boar, a team here in the states recently placed 10th in a Pro hog baying contest out of 42 teams, his dogs first try.
Jagd terriers are also heck on hogs and can be used to fetch though they are smaller in stature (20#) but dont let that fool you.
They are basically insane on hogs/fur with no quit or sense of self preservation, and very trainable.
Good 'catch' skunk. I misspoke. Your right both breeds are generally used as bay dogs. I believe the guy using DD's your referring to frequents another forum I am apart of. His name is georgiaboy over there I believe. I think he said his dogs had never been in a boar pen prior to that day. Impressive!! I have heard Jagd's don't quit and some have even FF'd them and used them for waterfowl. A former owner of one said of the Jagd 'The Jagd is not a pet it's a weapon.'

#9 ·
my first thought was what a bad idea. mine was given to me by a couple **** ass couldnt understand most of what they said. just got rescue on their part and mine also. he is a great dog and if u had one that was half lab or chessie i think it would make a good duck dog. mine try very hard to please and mind

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.