Catahoula dog as retriever?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Catahoula dog as retriever?

Postby goosehappy » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:28 pm

Has anyone here used a Catahoula dog as a retriever? If so, are they happy with the way they work?
trapped in the polar vortex
goosehappy
hunter

Re: Catahoula dog as retriever?

Postby Griffdom » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:04 pm

I would think few people use them for such. They are often used as catch dogs for hog though. Although I wouldn't get a blackmouth cur for waterfowling either. I suspect you could get a little more versatility from them, even though they are also used on hogs. BMC's come with a couple different coat types. You would want to make sure that you got one with a thicker coat for the cold. Why not get a true versatile/continental that was bred for waterfowling/upland and tracking if your wanting something a little different? Why a catahula? Just curious.
Griffdom
hunter

Postby labman63 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:55 am

I worked one that was half lab. Decent duck dog.
labman63
hunter

Postby TheSkunk » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:51 am

Griffdom wrote:I would think few people use them for such. They are often used as catch dogs for hog though. Although I wouldn't get a blackmouth cur for waterfowling either. I suspect you could get a little more versatility from them, even though they are also used on hogs. BMC's come with a couple different coat types. You would want to make sure that you got one with a thicker coat for the cold. Why not get a true versatile/continental that was bred for waterfowling/upland and tracking if your wanting something a little different? Why a catahula? Just curious.

Good post, Slight correction.
Catahoulas are a bay dog, and used as such. Bulldogs and Pits/Dogos are generally used a Catch dogs.

Agree with you on a good versatile.
Pudelpointers, Drahthaars a good choice. Drahthaars are most widely used by hunting establishment in Germany/Austria and their main quarry IS Boar, a team here in the states recently placed 10th in a Pro hog baying contest out of 42 teams, his dogs first try.
Jagd terriers are also heck on hogs and can be used to fetch though they are smaller in stature (20#) but dont let that fool you.
They are basically insane on hogs/fur with no quit or sense of self preservation, and very trainable.
TheSkunk
hunter

Postby Griffdom » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:21 pm

TheSkunk wrote:
Griffdom wrote:I would think few people use them for such. They are often used as catch dogs for hog though. Although I wouldn't get a blackmouth cur for waterfowling either. I suspect you could get a little more versatility from them, even though they are also used on hogs. BMC's come with a couple different coat types. You would want to make sure that you got one with a thicker coat for the cold. Why not get a true versatile/continental that was bred for waterfowling/upland and tracking if your wanting something a little different? Why a catahula? Just curious.

Good post, Slight correction.
Catahoulas are a bay dog, and used as such. Bulldogs and Pits/Dogos are generally used a Catch dogs.

Agree with you on a good versatile.
Pudelpointers, Drahthaars a good choice. Drahthaars are most widely used by hunting establishment in Germany/Austria and their main quarry IS Boar, a team here in the states recently placed 10th in a Pro hog baying contest out of 42 teams, his dogs first try.
Jagd terriers are also heck on hogs and can be used to fetch though they are smaller in stature (20#) but dont let that fool you.
They are basically insane on hogs/fur with no quit or sense of self preservation, and very trainable.

Good 'catch' skunk. I misspoke. Your right both breeds are generally used as bay dogs. I believe the guy using DD's your referring to frequents another forum I am apart of. His name is georgiaboy over there I believe. I think he said his dogs had never been in a boar pen prior to that day. Impressive!! I have heard Jagd's don't quit and some have even FF'd them and used them for waterfowl. A former owner of one said of the Jagd 'The Jagd is not a pet it's a weapon.'
Griffdom
hunter

Postby goosehappy » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:43 pm

I was mainly curious. But I agree that it would be better to get a versatile dog. I was also thinking of a Small Munsterlander...Thanks for the input.
trapped in the polar vortex
goosehappy
hunter

Postby Griffdom » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:18 pm

What all do you hope to hunt? The SM would do you well if your a mixed bag hunter. I've certainly been intrigued by the ones I've seen. They are now the 3rd most popular gun dog breed in Germany behind only the DD and DK. That is saying something...
Griffdom
hunter

Postby talltimber » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:31 am

It could work. I had a German Shepard cross when i was a kid that would flash-point quail and retrieve!
talltimber
hunter

Postby moreychuck » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:40 am

my first thought was what a bad idea. mine was given to me by a couple coon ass couldnt understand most of what they said. just got rescue on their part and mine also. he is a great dog and if u had one that was half lab or chessie i think it would make a good duck dog. mine try very hard to please and mind
Glimmerjim wrote:
I always wondered why I seem to like myself so much when I am watching pink snakes crawl through my walls.
moreychuck
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum