New Pup

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

New Pup

Postby gunshow » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:26 am

Meet Ruby

She is technically a yellow lab but as you can see her color is really fox red and I think has gotten darker since we picked her up.
She became a part of our family 2 weeks ago today and everyone has fallen in love with her. This is our 1st puppy and our 2nd dog. First dog was a Chessie whom we had to put down about 5 years ago (was 18 months when we got him)....so we're a little rusty :help:

I'm re-reading The 10 Minute Retriever to get caught back up as it worked well for me the first go round.
Wondering if there have been any breakthrough training tactics since then though that others can share.
In the short time we've had her she has already basically mastered crate training, pawing at the sliding door when needing to go outside for potty, and sit.

Any good resources for biting, leash training, and here command? I'm sure there are a ton of pages in here that touch on some of these so off I go, thanks for having us.
gunshow
hunter

Re: New Pup

Postby labman63 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:11 pm

Be sure to check out all the sticky's at the top of this page. Plenty of good stuff there.
labman63
hunter

Re: New Pup

Postby gunshow » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:54 am

labman63 wrote:Be sure to check out all the sticky's at the top of this page. Plenty of good stuff there.

Yep...read through Cooter's Early Puppy Training Tips....good stuff

Any help on puppy's who just love to bite? I know that's what puppy's do, just trying to curb it. Been trying to present chew toys as an alternative. She really likes humans though :fingerpt:
gunshow
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum