NEED A GOOD HUNTING DOG

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, swampbilly 1980, captainkevan

NEED A GOOD HUNTING DOG

Postby DuckWarrior » Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:43 pm

I am new to this forum, so I was wondering if you guys and gals could help me find a good hunting dog. I love to duck and goose hunt. What breed to you recommend for hunting on water and some land. I need one that I can train and be able to take hunting next season, unless that is too soon. What good books, tools, sites, do you guys know of that will help me in trainging a hunting dog. Please reply, give imput, tips, anything would be useful and thankyou.

DuckWarrior
DuckWarrior
hunter

Postby zx2dxz » Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:36 pm

Labrador Retriever its the only dog you'll ever need. The dog is one of most willing dogs to learn. All it wants to do is please its owner. And trust me that dog will be more willing and ready to go hunting before you are.

As far as books or videos, ive heard that 'waterdog' is a good video to start off with. I cant really help in this area cuz i work at a kennel, so there is always trainers around, so i dont read or watch any of them.

Site: http://www.working-retriever.com/library/ltrain.html

*Tip: Start early with your dog, but nothing to hard
*Tip: Get your dog from a breeder, nothing else take the pedigree to a kennel most trainers will take a quick glance at it and tell you the ups and downs
*Tip: Puppies need 100% success so dont put them in a situation that will set them up to fail, like "ohh lets see if he can do this......" none of that stuff
*Tip: Patience, Patience, Patience. i cant stress that enough, train at the dogs pace. It may be ready to hunt and it may not be.
More Habitat On The Ground Means More Ducks In The Sky!!!
zx2dxz
hunter

Postby QuillGordon » Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:51 pm

This post has Labrador Retriever all over it!
Last edited by QuillGordon on Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
QuillGordon
hunter

Postby SteveInTN » Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:14 pm

Quill, I sure hope you are selling some of these images. You truly have some awesome shots!

:thumbsup:
"I'll start spending less time with my dog and more with my wife when she starts fetching ducks for me"
SteveInTN
hunter

Postby QuillGordon » Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:47 am

Thank you Steve :salude:
QuillGordon
hunter

Duck Tollers

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:24 am

I have heard a lot of great things from owners of NOva Scotia Duck Tolling Retrievers, however they tend to be a little bit smaller, about the size of a brittany....so they may not do too well with a big ol' goose. check 'em out though.
http://www.nsdtrc-usa.org/
[/url]
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby dukhnter7 » Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:37 am

Labs are great all round dogs. Waterfowl, upland game, or in your lap for the football game. They'll do it all. One of the most important things is to do your homework before selecting a dog. Make sure both parents are certified. (Hips, elbows, eyes, DNA) Check for hunting titles. A dog does not need to have hunting titles to be a great dog, but it gives you a track record so that you don't have to take the breeders word. The dog should come with at least a 2 year guarantee. It takes that long for your dog to grow enough to detect deformities. I know it sounds like alot of work, but in the long run it can save you tons of money, time, and emotional drain of having to put down a dog that is not healthy. Trust me, I've been there. Hope this helps.

dukhnter7
State Moderator

Postby DuckWarrior » Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:50 pm

Thankyou all for helping me out, I just have one more question, does it matter what kind of breed of lab I get like Choco or Yellow.......

DuckWarrior
DuckWarrior
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:55 pm

i am kinda partial to chocolate labs myself...

Image[/img]
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby dukhnter7 » Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:07 pm

Color doesn't matter. Yellows are the most common and are usually snapped up first. I've hunted with all 3 and like them all. ( I am kinda partial to black though) :thumbsup:

dukhnter7
State Moderator

Postby turning green » Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:41 pm

one word, LAB. end of discussion. i have had 3 now and they have all been excellent. i have had one of each color and i cant pick which one was better than the other. they even make good pheasant dogs if you work with them and train them. i have had all 3 of my labs turn into pointing labs eventhough their parents didnt point. the best thing about the three dogs i have had is that they were all free except one cost me a whopping $50. a free pointing lab (doesnt get mcuh better!) good luck!
turning green
Newb

Postby DuckWarrior » Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:39 pm

Well thankyou guys you all have been a great help in helping me find my future hunting buddy....lol.... do you guys know of any sites that could help me buy the equipment I am going to need successfully train my dog, and what kind of equipment should I start out with?

DuckWarrior
DuckWarrior
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:13 pm

imo, the best thing you can do is get one of richard walter's books. all of them are excellent. i guess it's no secret that i got water dog. the only thing i used to train my dog was practice, practice, practice.
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby dukhnter7 » Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:44 pm

Try gundogsupply.com. and get yourself a subscription to either retriever journal or gun dog magazine. Lots of good training tips and info on hunt clubs.

Good Luck :getdown:
dukhnter7
State Moderator

Return to Hunting Dog Forum