What brand do you feed your dogs?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Re: What brand do you feed your dogs?

Postby jerdogg » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:29 am

Fromms 4star. Used Fromms gold large breed puupy til about 11 months old. Can't say enough on what a great product Fromms is! Coat looks wet its that shiny and muscle mass is awesome. I believe you get what you pay for, and with food get the the ones without fillers in at least the 5 main ingredients. Good luck.
jerdogg
hunter

Postby gock5 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:04 am

Switched from Eukanaba large breed lamb and rice to Blue Buffalo, large breed active, about 1 year ago when eukanuba was having alot of problems.
gock5
hunter

Postby O.D.Lid » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:51 am

PRO-PLAN :thumbsup:
If the ocean was made of WHISKEY and I was a DUCK I'd swim to the bottom and get all F!@#% up!
O.D.Lid
hunter

Postby TX&MOJames » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:55 am

I feed by lab Royal Canin Lab 30 and have been very pleased with it. I have fed her Royal Canin from the begining, first Royal Canin Lab puppy and then switched to 30. It is expensive but have been pleased with the results and don't feel it is worth the risk of switching to save a few dollars. I haven't seen many folks on here mention that they feed Royal Canin so would be curious to hear from anyone who has had experience with it.
TX&MOJames
hunter

Postby vicjake » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:05 pm

Dogs are carnivors. And I'm positive they never cooked their food. I feed my boy all raw meat. This is by far the best diet I have come across. All kibble causes tarter which leads to a plethora of health issues. Feeding raw isn't easy but it is very worth it in the long run. It provides healthier coat and skin, better muscle and joint development, less allergic reactions and health issues associated with them(ear infections, respiratory infections, etc.), gets rid of tarter and bad breath, reduces shedding and even reduces the amount of waste the dog produces because the dog can absorbed the nutrients in raw meat. Dogs are not designed to break down grains and vegetables. Almost all dogs have allergies to grains, severe or mild. Im not one to let my dog suffer the consequences just because kibble is so convenient. And don't get me wrong, I fed kibble before I researched dog nutrition and talked with numerous dog nutritionists and vets(don't be fooled, most vets do not receive proper training on dog nutrition. They receive a list of required nutrients and are trained only to insure that those nutrients are included in the diet. They do not pay attention to how important HOW they get those nutrients is. It's like a child being forced to eat mcdonalds cheese burgers their whole life. The burger has most essential components of a balanced diet: grain, protein, dairy and vegetables, but its not healthy. Kibble has all the nutrients in theory, but it is not healthy.). If I had to feed kibble it would be grain free Fromm four star. And I would make sure I incorporated a lot of raw meaty bones to help clean the teeth. If you are interested in feeding raw, do your homework. There are alot of components but its really not hard once you do it a few weeks successfully. This is my meal plan for my dog. Its a combination of lots of resources. It works well for me. I use mainly venison(we hunt), chicken, beef, pork, duck, and turkey. Any meat will do. Lamb is a favorite treat for mine. Variety is always good. I don't get these exact percentages every meal but every month comes out to about these percentages.

20% RMB(raw meaty bones)
13% Green Tripe(unrinsed, uncooked, nonbleached ruminant stomach)
5% Liver
5% Other Organ(kidney, lung, pancreas)
50% Muscle Meat
7% replacement meals and supplements from other sources(whole animals: squirrel, rabbit, fish; eggs with shell, raw unpasturized goats milk, salmon oil, vitamin E, raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar)
vicjake
hunter

Postby Tera Lanczak » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:12 pm

Rick Hall wrote:Pro Plan Performance or whatever they're calling their 30/20 now.

I've SAVED dogs lives with the stuff. Its the BEST! :thumbsup:
Tera Lanczak
Trainer/Owner
Bay Blue Kennels
http://www.baybluekennels.com/
http://www.forcefetch.com/blog/
660-441-1605
"Building Champions"
Tera Lanczak
DHC Sponsor

Postby L.Watson1 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:37 pm

Ok , so excuse my ignorance but do you guys feed this much food everyday or every other day ?
just seems like a lot at one time. I feed PPP sport now but was thinking of adding raw meat this winter for my lab. While she is working a lot and since it will be cold ,maybe it will help her keep weight. I just want to say I am not against this at all , just unfamiliar.
Last edited by L.Watson1 on Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
L.Watson1
hunter

Postby vicjake » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:29 pm

L.Watson1 wrote:Ok , so excuse my ignorance but do you guys feed this much food everyday or every other day ?
just seems like a lot at one time. I feed PPP sport now but was thinking of adding raw meat this winter for my lab.

Was this in reference to raw feeding? If it was here is my info and no problem at all on asking a question. I love to answer raw questions or if i don't know it, share any information I have heard. Yes I feed it every day. The ratio is about 1 lb per 50 lbs(watch your dog to see of this needs to be upper or lowered to achieve your desired body condition). My lab is large(95 lbs), he gets a lb in the morning and a lb at night. I've heard of people doing one feeding a day. It just depends on your dog and what he is used to. I wouldn't have a problem giving my dog one meal a day but I notice he is much more needy due to being hungry after a while. Some recommend not feeding kibble and raw at the same time but I have never heard of or experienced any issues with this. I have a bag of four star Fromm around just in case his raw doesn't thaw or Im in a real rush(does not happen very often). As far as the supplements go, some raw feeders do not give any supplements and only give the correct meat/bone/organ ratio. I see no reason this is option is not perfectly balanced and whole as far as nutrition goes. I like playing around with supplements and I don't believe any of them can hurt when proportioned correctly. Feel free to ask any other questions!
Last edited by vicjake on Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vicjake
hunter

Postby vicjake » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:42 pm

Max4Holly wrote:
TrapperRob wrote:Science diet, heathy mobility... She had hip spasms and couldn't walk up stairs, vet recommended it, (10 years old) she now goes like she is a puppy..

Feed your dog the best you can, it's worth every penny...

Your vet suggests this because they make money on it...it's complete junk, for what you pay for science diet you could feed sonething much higher quality...it's not as good as vets say it is but a little money in their pockets make their opinion change...

X2

SD is absolute crap. Vets get money from hills to sell their food. You can buy much better kibble(Fromm4star, Blue Buffalo Wilderness, Taste of The Wild) for the same or cheaper. Royal Canine is just as bad as SD. You can also feed raw for the price of SD.
vicjake
hunter

Postby sneaky » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:28 pm

Rick Hall wrote:Pro Plan Performance or whatever they're calling their 30/20 now.

+1
Duckwise wrote:Duck Calls have saved more ducks lives than they have caused to be taken thats for damn sure.
sneaky
hunter

Postby copterdoc » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:53 pm

vicjake wrote:Dogs are carnivors.
You have dogs confused with those cat things.

Canines are Omnivores.
copterdoc
hunter

Postby L.Watson1 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:48 am

Sorry , Yes it was and Thank you , I am very curious as to the cost , I have one f yellow lab that weighs about 55 lbs but she is only 9 months and is being trained by my father. I am currently out of the United States for several months due to bizz.
So i will not be able to start this for several months , maybe i can learn as much as possible and feed my pup as efficiently as possible I do agree dogs are carnivores , it all makes sense to me. Could the left over met from say a field dress deer be used in this diet ? Also if I had a feeder steer butchered and ask for the non-human grade meat could that be ok ? Say I couldn't feed raw year-round , in the winter say every other day could my pup have a select piece or meat or bone with her kibble just to add in those extra nutrients for the winter ? I was feeding pro plan sport to my lab but then someone said it had 3 big fillers in it ? I fed diamond before and both were good for thr pup, i had her on diamond. which is better? I know these are prob very simple questions but If i do start this with my pup I do want her to be better off.
Thanks
L.Watson1
hunter

Postby SC_YellowDawg » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:27 am

Blue Buffalo large breed puppy for now...it's expensive but I get complements on how good his coat looks all the time. I've heard good things about the Kirkland Signature costco brand and will probably switch to that for adult food.
SC_YellowDawg
hunter

Postby vicjake » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:46 pm

copterdoc wrote:
vicjake wrote:Dogs are carnivors.
You have dogs confused with those cat things.

Canines are Omnivores.

That is highly controversial. My opinion is they are not but Im not opposed to proof of the omnivor theory. But even if they are omnivors, the preservatives, dyes, hormones, rendered fat and meat, gluten and corn, found in the majority of kibbles, are not natural parts of their diet. The items people claim that dogs eat to make them omnivors are berries, grass and the stomach contents of other animals(wolves have been documented shaking the contents out and only eating the stomach wall, this is also what my dog does with green tripe). These are things that occur naturally, the high production wheat and corn we have today are not very old and were not found in the natural habitat of wolves. And yes dogs are the same as wolves. They can breed to each other and produce fertile offspring. Producing fertile offspring is something individuals of different species CANNOT do. I always recommend reading the ingredients of your dog food. The number one ingredient should be meat. The second ingredient should be meat or meat based. Not grain. It should have no grain at all. They should also specify what kind of meat(ie poultry, beef, lamb etc.). When unspecified(meat meal, bone meal) this is because the source of the meat is considered politically incorrect. Often this unidentified "meat" is euthenased cats and dogs. They use these animals for food in low quality nibble and the animals are ground up with the euthanasia drug still in their veins and their collars still on. Its disgusting. There also should not be by-products or anything rendered.
Last edited by vicjake on Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vicjake
hunter

Postby vicjake » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:50 pm

L.Watson1 wrote:Sorry , Yes it was and Thank you , I am very curious as to the cost , I have one f yellow lab that weighs about 55 lbs but she is only 9 months and is being trained by my father. I am currently out of the United States for several months due to bizz.
So i will not be able to start this for several months , maybe i can learn as much as possible and feed my pup as efficiently as possible I do agree dogs are carnivores , it all makes sense to me. Could the left over met from say a field dress deer be used in this diet ? Also if I had a feeder steer butchered and ask for the non-human grade meat could that be ok ? Say I couldn't feed raw year-round , in the winter say every other day could my pup have a select piece or meat or bone with her kibble just to add in those extra nutrients for the winter ? I was feeding pro plan sport to my lab but then someone said it had 3 big fillers in it ? I fed diamond before and both were good for thr pup, i had her on diamond. which is better? I know these are prob very simple questions but If i do start this with my pup I do want her to be better off.
Thanks

I love answering questions but I am sorry for the length, I can't write short answers! lol
I get most of my meat for the entire year from deer season! I rarely have had to buy meat for Brody(my lab). He knows the word deer haha he loves it. When we get a deer I bring a few coolers to pack the liver, kidney, heart and lungs in one and the stomach in the other. I use scented garbage bags to put in the organs in, helps with the stomach smell to lol. Deer have ruminate stomachs that are really really good for your dog. You can look up all the amazing benefits of raw green tripe. I send out the word that I'll take a deer that someone doesn't have room for or doesn't want to mess with and they call all the time. I actually just went and got a buck today. They only wanted the back straps. I stripped the meat off the shoulder, hindquarters and legs; then took the ribs, tail and neck as raw meaty bones(RMB). I don't like deer leg bones, they might be fine but I feel like they could splinter. I got about 70 lbs from this deer. It is recommended to let the meat freeze for two.weeks before giving it to your dog. This is to prevent parasites and I do it just to be safe. I vacuum seal it by the lb(2 lbs per bag because Brody eats two pounds a day). I try to leave the chunks of meat as big as possible but I have bags of just scraps too. If you feed completely raw it's important to make sure you balance muscle, rmb and organs. Im looking to find a wholesaler for turkey necks to add some protein source variety.

If you want to feed raw one day and kibble the next or something similar, watch your dogs stool. As long as it isn't loose for more than a week she should be doing fine on it. If it is loose the problem could be that kibble and meat are digested differently and at different speeds. You might have to pick one or the other to feed during one period. Brody gets meat every day but in the rare occasion he gets kibble, he refuses to eat it or eats very little(doesn't bother me because I know why he's not eating it. Sometimes Ill leave the morning portion out all day and not give him meat for supper and by bed time he eats all the kibble). Just a heads up, they can get spoiled to raw haha.

Beef not fit for humans is usually still good for dogs. Healthy dogs have immunities to salmonella, I still wash possibly contaminated meat in cold water. They also usually don't mind to eat unsavory cuts of meat. Be sure you keep the stomach, liver, kidney, heart, and lungs from a steer! Its hard to get a good supply of these, especial stomach and cattle have such large organs, its a huge bonus.

Before I start on kibble, just know that I fed these kinds of foods up until a year ago. I am a convert to. I absolutely loved learning what was best for my dog. I did have some guilt for the crap I fed him for the first year of his life and also guilt for my previous dogs that I believed had a shorter life because of the food I gave them. Its not our fault though. Society has been lead to believe this food is healthy. But it is not too late! Thank you for being concerned about your dogs nutrition!

Pro-plan sport 30/20 ingredients
Chicken, corn gluten meal, brewers rice, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), poultry by-product meal (natural source of glucosamine), whole grain corn, corn germ meal, fish meal (natural source of glucosamine), animal digest, fish oil, dried egg product, salt, calcium carbonate, potassium chloride, calcium phosphate, Vitamin E supplement, choline chloride, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate, niacin, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, copper sulfate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, garlic oil, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite.

The first ingredient is good, after that its all down hill. Most dog nutritionist(nutritionist not vets or nutritionists who get their pay check from a dog food company) do not support any grains in a canine diet. Grains are considered fillers because they are not digestable by dogs. This food gets the worst one right off the bat, corn, followed by rice. Not good. Then we get to a disturbing one, "animal fat". What kind of animal? It actually could be someone family pet. We also have by-products, yuck. They are code for everything on the floor of a meat factory swept up and boiled down until it really has no nutritional value. Contrary to what they would have us believe, there are very few regulations of dog food. They can put almost anything in there and as long as it doesn't kill anyone its ok. And that is if it doesn't kill anyone immediately, if it takes a while its legal. Also, the shear number of ingredients is very concerning more ingredients means more probability of unhealthy dyes, hormones, preservatives, etc.

I don't know what Diamond formula you used but here are their two main ones.

Diamond natural Large breed ingredients
Lamb meal, ground rice, cracked pearled barley, millet, egg product, rice bran, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), dried plain beet pulp, flaxseed, natural flavor, fish meal, potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, dried chicory root, glucosamine hydrochloride, L-Carnitine, vitamin E supplement, chondroitin sulfate, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, manganese proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

This is about the same quality as PP. It still has rice, but no corn, by-products, or unknown meat in this one but the first ingredient is lamb meal. Meal is okay as a second ingredient but not a first. This product does not provide any meat as a main ingredient. Also a concern in number of ingredients, more preservatives and artificial chemicals.

Diamond Grain Free chicken ingredients
Chicken, chicken meal, sweet potatoes, peas, garbanzo beans, potatoes, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), tomato pomace, natural flavor, fish meal, flaxseed, salt, choline chloride, dried chicory root, yucca schidigera extract, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus casei fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

This food is the grain free version of Diamond. It is better than both the other options. Meat in the first ingredient, meat meal as the second. No grain, by-products, or unknown meat. Still alot of ingredients and preservatives. Still not as good as raw meat. This is similar to the kibble I would use if I had to, Fromm4star. Another amazing kibble is grain free Merrick. Merrick is pricey but one of the (or the) best kibbles.
vicjake
hunter

Postby PNWGator » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:04 pm

We feed pro plan as well. Satisfied to this point!
PNWGator
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:47 am

vicjake wrote:Most dog nutritionist(nutritionist not vets or nutritionists who get their pay check from a dog food company) do not support any grains in a canine diet. Grains are considered fillers because they are not digestable by dogs.

Would you please provide your support for those two statements.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:03 am

Loyall professional 31/20 with a fish pill
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:33 am

Rick Hall wrote:
vicjake wrote:Most dog nutritionist(nutritionist not vets or nutritionists who get their pay check from a dog food company) do not support any grains in a canine diet. Grains are considered fillers because they are not digestable by dogs.

Still anxious to see that support, vicjake.

I'm curious if you can find a single diplomat of the American College of Veterinary Nutrition (never mind "most") who agrees with the myth that "Grains are considered fillers because they are not digestable (sic) by dogs."
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby ohio mike » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:56 am

Rick Hall wrote:
Rick Hall wrote:

Still anxious to see that support, vicjake.

I'm curious if you can find a single diplomat of the American College of Veterinary Nutrition (never mind "most") who agrees with the myth that "Grains are considered fillers because they are not digestable (sic) by dogs."

Rick you'd better go get a sandwich and some chips. It's gonna be a long wait me thinks.
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly gun.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:04 am

I'm sure people who parrot that crap mean well. Just sad that others then do the same without looking past the netspurts and other parrots to the real science. Or even common sense: if dogs couldn't digest properly prepared grains, they couldn't live, much less thrive, on many feeds they live long active lives on.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Tyler Radke » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:13 am

We feed our dogs orijen. It is made in Canada and very hard to find and very expensive at $70 for a 28lb bag, but feel it is the best dry dog food we can give them so that's what they get.
Tyler Radke
hunter

Postby Boocephus » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:46 am

Tyler Radke wrote:We feed our dogs orijen. It is made in Canada and very hard to find and very expensive at $70 for a 28lb bag, but feel it is the best dry dog food we can give them so that's what they get.
:huh: $70 A BAG?
Boocephus
hunter

Postby Tyler Radke » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:28 pm

Boocephus wrote:
Tyler Radke wrote:We feed our dogs orijen. It is made in Canada and very hard to find and very expensive at $70 for a 28lb bag, but feel it is the best dry dog food we can give them so that's what they get.
:huh: $70 A BAG?

Yep. Not cheap at all. But its made from 100% local raised critters not Chinese crap and is all human consumption quality, no byproduct or any meal type proteins. Very high quality food. Overkill, perhaps but they are my family so they get the best I can give them.
Tyler Radke
hunter

Postby chrisss » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:47 pm

I just got my first dog and I feed him diamond extreme athletes
chrisss
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting Dog Forum