Heel!!!!!

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Heel!!!!!

Postby Blackmallard40 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:03 pm

My pup will not heel nor walk beside me at all on a leash. He is 8 weeks, any help would be greatly appreciated!
Blackmallard40
hunter

Re: Heel!!!!!

Postby Dakota Creek » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:43 pm

HE'S 8 WEEKS OLD FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!!!!

What were you expecting ... Multiple marks and land and water blinds???????

Your pup is a baby and is still trying to figure out where he / she lives, who the heck you are and what the heck a leash is!!!

Let your pup be a pup ... You will have lots of time to train!
GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
Dakota Creek's Long Shot
Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc
Dakota Creek
hunter

Postby Rutin » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:58 pm

Don't worry about crap like that at this age.... let him be a puppy and make EVERYTHING fun!!!! Let him get older before he starts work! Would you send your 3 month old kid to Mc D's to run the register???
Sargent Taylor's Hevi-Shot (Sarge)
Great Ballz of Fire (Maverick)
Rutin
hunter

Postby Jake88 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:08 pm

Patience grasshopper
Jake88
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:01 pm

You have to mean 8 months :huh:
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Labs » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:38 am

Blackmallard40 wrote:My pup will not heel nor walk beside me at all on a leash. He is 8 weeks, any help would be greatly appreciated!

:lol:
"Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless" - Kenny Powers
Labs
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:13 am

Dakota Creek wrote:HE'S 8 WEEKS OLD FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!!!!

What were you expecting ... Multiple marks and land and water blinds???????

Your pup is a baby and is still trying to figure out where he / she lives, who the heck you are and what the heck a leash is!!!

Let your pup be a pup ... You will have lots of time to train!

I think this is exactly what i would have typed!!! Your dog is 64 days old!!! :eek:
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby go get the bird » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:35 am

Bad genetics. It should be heeling as soon as it's walking. And fetching swans. :sarcmark:
MackieKnife wrote:The moral of the story is...I'm retarded.
go get the bird
hunter

Postby hankyorke » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:09 am

Please give your dog back to the pet shop you bought it from.
hankyorke
hunter

Postby O.D.Lid » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:59 pm

school starts @ 4 months for me until then only no and DON'T pee in the house!!! :beer:
If the ocean was made of WHISKEY and I was a DUCK I'd swim to the bottom and get all F!@#% up!
O.D.Lid
hunter

Postby SC_YellowDawg » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:13 pm

Like these fellers said, it's a young dog give em time...

That being said, I started clicker training with mine when he was that young and eventually applied it to walking on a loose leash. All about reinforcing the behaviors you want and ignoring or simply saying NO to the bad things. Had him walking without pulling everywhere by 3mo old. By no means at a solid heel, but not pulling my arm off everywhere we go either. Works for me if we're just goin for a walk for down the street. (I am working on heel as well, but I think they are two different things)
Trick I used is to have a ZERO tolerance policy to pulling...if the dog starts pulling stop in your tracks turn around or just completely change directions. Then call the dog back towards you in an excited voice. They must learn pulling doesn't help them get somewhere faster. When they start moving toward you praise them(click and give a treat if you go that route) and continue walking in that direction with their feet behind yours. Don't let the get out in front. Every few steps they stay in the correct position, with the leash slack, praise (or click and treat). Gradually fade the frequency of the praise/clicks/treats as you introduce a command word. I use "walk". These days when he's doing it right he gets "goooood walk" maybe a click and treat every now and then. When he decides to pull, I stop tell him "WALK" in a deep stern voice --not yelling-- and wait for him to come back towards me say "goooood walk" then go back moving. Don't ever let them get out in front and lead the walk. They must learn the only way they get to walk with you is calmly by your side, not in front or pullin or anything. You'll find yourself stopping a lot at first, maybe 25 times in 10 yards but they will get better. And quickly catch on the clicker training.
SC_YellowDawg
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:07 am

Seriously? Spend the money and get a good puppy training video. Once you move past that age, buy a training video series and stick to it!
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:59 am

You guys are relentless :yes: :lol3:

Blackmallard will never post here again-
You'll see future questions he may have up there in the Honey Hoe :yes:

Lest we not forget though, that there's nuthin' in the world wrong with getting pup on a leash and going for walks- to begin teaching and/or conditioning pup to at least walk at a HEEL position, and get the biting and resisting the lead out of the way.
Saves some struggling with all that later :tongue:
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Dakota Creek » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:41 pm

swampbilly 1980 wrote:You guys are relentless :yes: :lol3:

Blackmallard will never post here again:

Okay .... You are probably right and I apologize for jumping in with BOTH feet .... But new pup owners need to remember that as much raw talent as these wonderful dogs are born with, they still need to acclimatize to their new people and environment and be given the opportunity to BE A PUPPY particularly at 8 weeks old.

It seems so many people are trying to set a timeline for their dog's achievements (must have it's HRCH by the time it's two, etc). It is one thing for an experienced handler to set these kind on goals, but can be very detrimental for a first time trainer to get into this mind set unless they have a good mentor or club support system to aid in the training. I could be wrong, but from the OP's question it did not sound like this was the case and I hope they take their time in training this pup.

It was a long day and I had just finished one of those "so I just picked up my new pup and was thinking I should be able to hunt it when the season opens in two months, right?" telephone conversations .... :no:

Sorry Blackmallard ......
Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
Dakota Creek's Long Shot
Dakota Creek
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:12 pm

Dakota Creek wrote:
swampbilly 1980 wrote:You guys are relentless :yes: :lol3:

Blackmallard will never post here again:

Okay .... You are probably right and I apologize for jumping in with BOTH feet .... But new pup owners need to remember that as much raw talent as these wonderful dogs are born with, they still need to acclimatize to their new people and environment and be given the opportunity to BE A PUPPY particularly at 8 weeks old.

It seems so many people are trying to set a timeline for their dog's achievements (must have it's HRCH by the time it's two, etc). It is one thing for an experienced handler to set these kind on goals, but can be very detrimental for a first time trainer to get into this mind set unless they have a good mentor or club support system to aid in the training. I could be wrong, but from the OP's question it did not sound like this was the case and I hope they take their time in training this pup.

It was a long day and I had just finished one of those "so I just picked up my new pup and was thinking I should be able to hunt it when the season opens in two months, right?" telephone conversations .... :no:

Sorry Blackmallard ......

Nah, 'Dakota, wasn't alluding to anyone having too much a "heavy hand" (even if you thot it may have been), but was glad to see everyone supporting one another.
That's what it takes.
The old addage "It takes a village to raise a child" comes to mind, as sometimes it takes the support of the "whole dawg forum village" to convince someone they've got some unrealistic expectations, or what they're doing is wrong.
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby copterdoc » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:04 pm

I can't stand it any longer.

Allude vs. elude
Elude means to evade or escape from. Allude means to make indirect reference. For example, if say, “I’d love to visit New Orleans, but preferably not in early September,” you might infer that I’m alluding to Hurricane Katrina, which took place in early September.

Similar distinctions apply to these words’ derivatives. Elusion and allusion are sometimes confused, and illusion is in the mix as well.

Examples

Just for fun, let’s look at two examples of allude and elude used in place of each other:

Wright is barely able to allude the tag of Cervelli as he somehow slides in safely headfirst. [NJ.com]

Seeming to elude to the canceled tour, Brown wrote “U ever feel like the storm clouds are too thick for any sunshine to get through?” on Twitter Tuesday. [Examiner.com]

These writers use allude correctly:

The dark-haired woman in “Plumb,” clothed in a faceted, crosshatch pattern that seems to allude to Jasper Johns, has a sleek, black nose that resembles carved marble. [NYT]

The promo has previously been slammed after it appeared to allude to the abusive relationship Rihanna had with her former boyfriend, Chris Brown. [New Zealand Herald]

And these writers use elude well:

After all, he had to elude hundreds of zombie-like creatures who relentlessly pursued his character and five other survivors, who ended up taking refuge together in an old house. [My San Antonio]

Second Wimbledon title to elude Maria Sharapova [bettor.com]
copterdoc
hunter

Postby FFT » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:17 pm

If your tone is poor towards the pup you may end up with a defiant dog. Good boy, cheering, praise, and treats on a recall command are a good start.

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Tapatalk 2
FFT
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:05 am

copterdoc wrote:I can't stand it any longer.

Allude vs. elude
Elude means to evade or escape from. Allude means to make indirect reference. For example, if say, “I’d love to visit New Orleans, but preferably not in early September,” you might infer that I’m alluding to Hurricane Katrina, which took place in early September.

Similar distinctions apply to these words’ derivatives. Elusion and allusion are sometimes confused, and illusion is in the mix as well.

Examples

Just for fun, let’s look at two examples of allude and elude used in place of each other:

Wright is barely able to allude the tag of Cervelli as he somehow slides in safely headfirst. [NJ.com]

Seeming to elude to the canceled tour, Brown wrote “U ever feel like the storm clouds are too thick for any sunshine to get through?” on Twitter Tuesday. [Examiner.com]

These writers use allude correctly:

The dark-haired woman in “Plumb,” clothed in a faceted, crosshatch pattern that seems to allude to Jasper Johns, has a sleek, black nose that resembles carved marble. [NYT]

The promo has previously been slammed after it appeared to allude to the abusive relationship Rihanna had with her former boyfriend, Chris Brown. [New Zealand Herald]

And these writers use elude well:

After all, he had to elude hundreds of zombie-like creatures who relentlessly pursued his character and five other survivors, who ended up taking refuge together in an old house. [My San Antonio]

Second Wimbledon title to elude Maria Sharapova [bettor.com]

The purpose of this post has eluded me :lol3: :hi:
:devil:
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby LaRedneck » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:35 pm

I'm elluding myself from this thread
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Tera Lanczak » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:09 pm

go get the bird wrote:Bad genetics. It should be heeling as soon as it's walking. And fetching swans. :sarcmark:

Love the humor here.

At Bay Blue Kennels we treat/clicker train all the baby pups from the moment they set paws at the kennel(7weeks). The clicker can be transferred over to the whistle command to "sit" and handling skills can be developed early. All with the ease and positive reinforcement of treats! Gotta love the fact Labs are very food motivated. :grooving:

Happy Training!
Tera Lanczak
Trainer/Owner
Bay Blue Kennels
http://www.baybluekennels.com/
http://www.forcefetch.com/blog/
660-441-1605
"Building Champions"
Tera Lanczak
DHC Sponsor

Postby Blackmallard40 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:16 am

Thanks for bashing me guys however this is my first lab. I have never owned a lab and was wanting tips not tongue lashings. I appreciate some of you guys being positive. For the smart butts I assume you have world champion dogs. Not everyone starts out like you guys. I won't ask for advice here anymore. The dog forum on this site is absolutely ridiculous.
Blackmallard40
hunter

Postby Dakota Creek » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:10 pm

Blackmallard40 wrote:Thanks for bashing me guys however this is my first lab. I have never owned a lab and was wanting tips not tongue lashings. I appreciate some of you guys being positive. For the smart butts I assume you have world champion dogs. Not everyone starts out like you guys. I won't ask for advice here anymore. The dog forum on this site is absolutely ridiculous.

Blackmallard .... I said it earlier in this thread and will say it again ... I am sorry for being the first to jump and be a "smart butt"!

If you have been around this game as long as I have, you hear people stating my pup doesn't do this or that at an extremely young age, and the tendancy is to say "You've got to be kidding!!!!!" There are new puppy owners out there who have VERY unrealistic expectations (particularly for a first time owner) of their new pup.

Your biggest concern right now with your new pup is let him / her be a pup. Socialize the heck out of them ..... new people, new places (carefully until they have their full range of puppy vaccines), puppy bumpers or paint rollers to retrieve, sit training with a gentle push down on their butt and you can Introduce the idea of a leash ... let them drag it around behind them! What should be of most concern is that at this age with any of the things you do with your pup make it FUN!!

There is a lot of information on this site ..... sometimes you need to shift through to get the information you are looking for, but give it another chance!
Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
Dakota Creek's Long Shot
Dakota Creek
hunter

Postby Blackmallard40 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:07 pm

Dakota Creek wrote:
Blackmallard40 wrote:Thanks for bashing me guys however this is my first lab. I have never owned a lab and was wanting tips not tongue lashings. I appreciate some of you guys being positive. For the smart butts I assume you have world champion dogs. Not everyone starts out like you guys. I won't ask for advice here anymore. The dog forum on this site is absolutely ridiculous.

I wasn't implying to you sir. Thank you for being nice in the thread

Blackmallard .... I said it earlier in this thread and will say it again ... I am sorry for being the first to jump and be a "smart butt"!

If you have been around this game as long as I have, you hear people stating my pup doesn't do this or that at an extremely young age, and the tendancy is to say "You've got to be kidding!!!!!" There are new puppy owners out there who have VERY unrealistic expectations (particularly for a first time owner) of their new pup.

Your biggest concern right now with your new pup is let him / her be a pup. Socialize the heck out of them ..... new people, new places (carefully until they have their full range of puppy vaccines), puppy bumpers or paint rollers to retrieve, sit training with a gentle push down on their butt and you can Introduce the idea of a leash ... let them drag it around behind them! What should be of most concern is that at this age with any of the things you do with your pup make it FUN!!

There is a lot of information on this site ..... sometimes you need to shift through to get the information you are looking for, but give it another chance!
Blackmallard40
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:22 pm

Quit being a victim. You can get a free puppy training book at any pet store. Learning absolutely nothing before getting your pup is nobody's fault but yours. Take responsibility for training your new pup.

Man up. Good luck.
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Blackmallard40 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:12 pm

HNTFSH wrote:

Quit being a victim. You can get a free puppy training book at any pet store. Learning absolutely nothing before getting your pup is nobody's fault but yours. Take responsibility for training your new pup.

Man up. Good luck.

I am a man and if you don't have anything nice to say or advice about my question with out being a jack @$$ get the F off the thread. Its guys like you who make good sites like this bad. Asking for advice has nothing to do with my manhood chief. What do you think a thread is for?
Blackmallard40
hunter

Next

Return to Hunting Dog Forum