Heel!!!!!

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Re: Heel!!!!!

Postby hankyorke » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:18 pm

You were serious?!?!? Good lord... asking an 8 week old pup to heel is like asking a 6 month old baby to make his bed or cut her own ribeye.

I stand by my original statement.
hankyorke
hunter

Postby Blackmallard40 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:19 pm

hankyorke wrote:You were serious?!?!? Good lord... asking an 8 week old pup to heel is like asking a 6 month old baby to make his bed or cut her own ribeye.

I wanted to walk my dog not heel. Perhaps I stated it wrong even if I did, I didn't think I would get nailed to the cross by know it alls
Blackmallard40
hunter

Postby copterdoc » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:03 pm

Blackmallard40 wrote:.....I didn't think I would get nailed to the cross by know it alls.....
See what not thinking gets you?

BTW, Dakota Creek is a woman. Not a Sir.
copterdoc
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:06 pm

Common sense man....pure size of the dog and being a puppy should tell you to relax and let it grow
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby sneaky » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:25 pm

Just saying, if he's not onto blinds yet then dont bother. Find a new dog.
Duckwise wrote:Duck Calls have saved more ducks lives than they have caused to be taken thats for damn sure.
sneaky
hunter

Postby mw46 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:16 pm

copterdoc wrote:I can't stand it any longer.

Allude vs. elude
Elude means to evade or escape from. Allude means to make indirect reference. For example, if say, “I’d love to visit New Orleans, but preferably not in early September,” you might infer that I’m alluding to Hurricane Katrina, which took place in early September.

Similar distinctions apply to these words’ derivatives. Elusion and allusion are sometimes confused, and illusion is in the mix as well.

Examples

Just for fun, let’s look at two examples of allude and elude used in place of each other:

Wright is barely able to allude the tag of Cervelli as he somehow slides in safely headfirst. [NJ.com]

Seeming to elude to the canceled tour, Brown wrote “U ever feel like the storm clouds are too thick for any sunshine to get through?” on Twitter Tuesday. [Examiner.com]

These writers use allude correctly:

The dark-haired woman in “Plumb,” clothed in a faceted, crosshatch pattern that seems to allude to Jasper Johns, has a sleek, black nose that resembles carved marble. [NYT]

The promo has previously been slammed after it appeared to allude to the abusive relationship Rihanna had with her former boyfriend, Chris Brown. [New Zealand Herald]

And these writers use elude well:

After all, he had to elude hundreds of zombie-like creatures who relentlessly pursued his character and five other survivors, who ended up taking refuge together in an old house. [My San Antonio]

Second Wimbledon title to elude Maria Sharapova [bettor.com]

Geez. Yall cant even get the correct usage of "allude vs elude", and you guys are on here giving people dog training advice? Sheesh...
The coot fighter
mw46
hunter

Postby Tera Lanczak » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:02 pm

Tera Lanczak
Trainer/Owner
Bay Blue Kennels
http://www.baybluekennels.com/
http://www.forcefetch.com/blog/
660-441-1605
"Building Champions"
Tera Lanczak
DHC Sponsor

Postby Tera Lanczak » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:07 pm

This is Maugh with a Bay Blue puppy teaching him to heel with treats. Brady is 8weeks old today. Maugh is following the Bay Blue Kennels puppy program and is in her 70's. So follow Maugh and Brady's progress through our facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/bayblueretrievers?ref=hl
:wink:
Tera Lanczak
Trainer/Owner
Bay Blue Kennels
http://www.baybluekennels.com/
http://www.forcefetch.com/blog/
660-441-1605
"Building Champions"
Tera Lanczak
DHC Sponsor

Postby Labs » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:19 pm

Blackmallard40 wrote:
hankyorke wrote:You were serious?!?!? Good lord... asking an 8 week old pup to heel is like asking a 6 month old baby to make his bed or cut her own ribeye.

I wanted to walk my dog not heel. Perhaps I stated it wrong even if I did, I didn't think I would get nailed to the cross by know it alls

Black Mallard....when you come into the forums area, there are a bunch of threads at the top of the page that stay there...there is one titled "New Puppy Training"....please, I don't mean to sound harsh, but do yourself a favor and read, man. Those are there for a reason so that the rest of us don't have to answer the same questions over and over again. You're new to training, we get it, but help us help you...read, then if you have specific questions about a topic, then ask..."like, I am at this stage in my training, and I am following XX program, but this is what fido is doing....Your thread titled HEEL followed with background of an 8 week old pup, well, I think you got what you asked for. :wink:

Labs
"Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless" - Kenny Powers
Labs
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:38 am

mw46 wrote:
copterdoc wrote:I can't stand it any longer.

Allude vs. elude
Elude means to evade or escape from. Allude means to make indirect reference. For example, if say, “I’d love to visit New Orleans, but preferably not in early September,” you might infer that I’m alluding to Hurricane Katrina, which took place in early September.

Similar distinctions apply to these words’ derivatives. Elusion and allusion are sometimes confused, and illusion is in the mix as well.

Examples

Just for fun, let’s look at two examples of allude and elude used in place of each other:

Wright is barely able to allude the tag of Cervelli as he somehow slides in safely headfirst. [NJ.com]

Seeming to elude to the canceled tour, Brown wrote “U ever feel like the storm clouds are too thick for any sunshine to get through?” on Twitter Tuesday. [Examiner.com]

These writers use allude correctly:

The dark-haired woman in “Plumb,” clothed in a faceted, crosshatch pattern that seems to allude to Jasper Johns, has a sleek, black nose that resembles carved marble. [NYT]

The promo has previously been slammed after it appeared to allude to the abusive relationship Rihanna had with her former boyfriend, Chris Brown. [New Zealand Herald]

And these writers use elude well:

After all, he had to elude hundreds of zombie-like creatures who relentlessly pursued his character and five other survivors, who ended up taking refuge together in an old house. [My San Antonio]

Second Wimbledon title to elude Maria Sharapova [bettor.com]

Geez. Yall cant even get the correct usage of "allude vs elude", and you guys are on here giving people dog training advice? Sheesh...

Very strange :huh:
This makes the 2nd, meaningless, post on the subject .
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby berudd » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:51 pm

Blackmallard,

Rule number one for posting on internet forum is if you don't have a thick skin it's best to stay away. Maybe that's not how it should be but it is. Sure, maybe some guys over did it but your question was one that would easily touch a never. These guys are going to be the ones that have a high commitment to dogs and because of that become concerned when they see something occurring that might represent a bad situation for the dog.

That said, my lab didn't like going for walks at 8 weeks either. And I did not try to get her to heel. Now (16mos) she loves walks and gets excited if you pick up the leash. I don't recall the age at which I started teaching her to HEEL but it was probably around 4 - 6 months. She already knew SIT, STAY and COME at least and was retrieving to hand. It was not one of the first things we worked on. Now she heels off leash well with only a few reminders needed when a distraction pops up.

I like Richard Wolter's books too, I have Game Dog, as well as Tom Dokken's Retriever Training. Best plan now is to set the right expectations. What we see of professional level competition retrievers can mislead us into believing that is the only acceptable standard for a hunting dog. While I am sure these dogs would make outstanding hunters you can also have an outstanding hunter without that level of training. Dokken discuss this in one of the later chapters of his book. If your dog is solid on obedience, steady to shot, marks singles and doubles well you have a dog that will handle almost anything you will encounter in the field. I'd add that a good nose is critical but I think that is likely more genetic than trained but I am sure training hones natural ability. Blind retrieves and casting more advanced skills and I don't think he teaches them until the dogs second season.

So, just deal with the trouble on walks for now, it will pass. Maybe keep the short. A few treats along the way might not hurt. Ball up a sock and throw it down the hall. Let the pup chase it and make a big deal. If he happens to come to you (don]'t chase him) throw it again immediately. Then chasing it become the reward for bring it back. After a handful of tosses he may seem bored so stop. Take your time.
berudd
hunter

Previous

Return to Hunting Dog Forum