Electric collar?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Electric collar?

Postby AB_Gunner » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:24 am

What is everybody using? I don't need the most expensive one, unless it really is that much better. I think most of them are waterproof but that would be a necessity as well Any suggestions would be great!
AB_Gunner
hunter

Re: Electric collar?

Postby krazybronco2 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:33 pm

they dont make them anymore but i have the tritronics sport basic but looking to up grade to a flyway transmitter since i can still use the same collar.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby OmegaRed » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:03 pm

Tritonics here too. I think I have the Tri-Tronics Field 90 G3. Deals are to be had, keep your eye out.
Locked&Loaded wrote:
Ohio- what would it run me to have you drop by to rape my dog and set this boat on fire?
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby AB_Gunner » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:04 pm

Did some research over lunch...thinking about the sport dog 425. Looks like the 400 (discontinued now) had some problems but the 425 has better reviews. Also it comes in max 4 so its gotta be good :lol:

Does anybody have experience with the 425?
AB_Gunner
hunter

Postby AB_Gunner » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:06 pm

OmegaRed wrote:Deals are to be had, keep your eye out.

If you see any, a pm would be appreciated!
AB_Gunner
hunter

Postby O.D.Lid » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:54 pm

DOGTRA :thumbsup: sportdog is junk at least this is what I've heard from former owners
Last edited by O.D.Lid on Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If the ocean was made of WHISKEY and I was a DUCK I'd swim to the bottom and get all F!@#% up!
O.D.Lid
hunter

Postby Einstein » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:57 pm

Garmin Delta Sport. Mine still has the TT logo on it.
Einstein says: "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

Check out my build:
viewtopic.php?f=72&t=465930
Einstein
hunter

Postby nodogrules » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:16 pm

Ditto on the trite ices g3 sport if you can find one or the newer version. Solidly built, compact, great design for battery and charging.
nodogrules
Newb

Postby Rutin » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:58 pm

TT for me.... if you have a cabelas close by check out their bargin cave in person bc they always have factory refurbs for about half price with a warranty.
Sargent Taylor's Hevi-Shot (Sarge)
Great Ballz of Fire (Maverick)
Rutin
hunter

Postby AB_Gunner » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:20 pm

Ended up going with a sportdog 425. I just ordered one off ebay, seems like a good one for the money ($170)

O.D.Lid wrote:DOGTRA :thumbsup: sportdog is junk at least this is what I've heard from former owners

The reviews I see say the 400 had flaws, but the 425 is much better. Time will tell.
AB_Gunner
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:01 am

AB_Gunner wrote:Ended up going with a sportdog 425. I just ordered one off ebay, seems like a good one for the money ($170)

O.D.Lid wrote:DOGTRA :thumbsup: sportdog is junk at least this is what I've heard from former owners

The reviews I see say the 400 had flaws, but the 425 is much better. Time will tell.

not trying tell you what to do but you had alot of good comments for tri tronics and you still went with the sport dog. for about $20 more you could have gotten the garmin delta sport and could have gotten alot better collar just in distance. I say this because 300 yards makes a big difference when you are talking about hills, dense trees or anything that can block a signal. also alot of the reviews i have seen for the SD 400 where the corrections were very slow they may have fixed that issue but if im correcting a dog i want it to happen when i want it to happen not a second later and something i would not want to worry about. if you want to train the highest level, you want a collar with as many options as possible. that is one reason i want to get a flyway transmitter cause then i can make level changes as needed quickly with out having to look at the transmitter to get the desired response that i want.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby CatSquirrel » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:25 am

Return the SportDog and get a TT or Dogtra.

Everyone touts SD's customer service, but that's because they need it.

I've owned TT and/or Dogtra for nearly 20 years and have called TT ONCE.
CatSquirrel
hunter

Postby AB_Gunner » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:50 am

Well I ordered the sportdog yesterday afternoon before anyone commented. I found a garmin delta sport local to me, so I have cancelled the sportdog order (hopefully he hasnt shipped yet!) I did not know Garmin had bought out tri tronics,
AB_Gunner
hunter

Postby AB_Gunner » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:46 am

I managed to get a refund on the sportdog and went with the garmin delta sport. I have been slowly introducing my dog to the e collar with basic commands. What kind of settings are you guys typically running on the delta sport to get a response out of the dog? My settings seem high, but she is also a very stubborn dog.
AB_Gunner
hunter

Postby Force Fetch » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:01 pm

Over the years I have had three Tri Tronics collars 100 LR, 500 LS, and now a 500 G3 exp. All still work and very few shop repairs. I also have 4 bird release systems that have to be 15 years old and use them for training all summer with no shop time to speak of. TT/Garmin all the way, spend what you can afford their products are great no matter the model.
Teach Train Test andHunt
Wayne
Force Fetch
hunter

Postby OmegaRed » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:22 pm

AB_Gunner wrote:I managed to get a refund on the sportdog and went with the garmin delta sport. I have been slowly introducing my dog to the e collar with basic commands. What kind of settings are you guys typically running on the delta sport to get a response out of the dog? My settings seem high, but she is also a very stubborn dog.

When collar conditioning, you have to be watching for a response in the dog. Usually an ear switch, scratching at the collar, head down etc. Usually a yelp means you are beyond where you are supposed to. I'm not sure of the settings on that collar/transmitter, so I can't help as far as that goes.
Locked&Loaded wrote:
Ohio- what would it run me to have you drop by to rape my dog and set this boat on fire?
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby sneaky » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:47 pm

My sportdog just crapped out, doesn't transmit past 5 yards now. I've used it for 6-8 months light preseason condition for his first season. Now i'm hunting him without a e collar because its broken, and i can't prove my receipt to get it warrantied. Their customer service was excellent, but i'd rather never need a companies customer service. I will go with a different company on this next go around, and keep my receipt. :thumbsup:
Duckwise wrote:Duck Calls have saved more ducks lives than they have caused to be taken thats for damn sure.
sneaky
hunter

Postby GarDuck » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:46 am

Good call on the delta sport now return it and get a pro 100.
GarDuck
hunter

Postby Ze6464 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:12 pm

Dogtra 1900ncp is all you need.
Ze6464
hunter

Postby berudd » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:54 pm

I've got the cheapest SportDog made, the Yard Trainer 100. I got it several years ago to use with my wife's mutt. When I got my Lab last year I started with it thinking I'd upgrade soon. Well, we are staring our second duck season with it. The collar has proven waterproof, at least well enough. The transmitter did give out one day. It NOT designed to be waterproof so the ice caked in it may have been a contributing factor. Nice it warmed up and dried out it was fine. That was a year ago. I'd like more range and a waterproof transmitter but its hard for me replace a working tool. When it finally croaks ill get a SD 425.
berudd
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum