Duck Hunting Forum banner

Questions for the breeder??

865 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Dakota Creek 
#1 ·
Hey guys. So I'm finally ready to buy a pup. I have found a breeder in my state and have checked their background, which all seems good. The breeder has a good reputation and both of the parents have solid hunting and field trial backgrounds. What questions should I ask the breeder before I put the deposit down? I've never bought a dog that isn't born yet so I'm just looking for some advice as to how you guys would go about this. Thanks!

#2 ·
Health clearances on both parents ..... Hips, elbows and eyes as a bare minimum. I would also be asking about CNM and EIC clearances on both sire and dam as well.

#4 ·
Ask them why they chose that pairing for creating the litter. If they stutter to provide an answer even a little bit, it's a tell tale sign that they're just breeding because they have both of the dogs and they're trying to sell puppies. Most good breedings that take place don't have both male and female in their kennel as they're trying to match up with a mate to better the breed and provide a quality litter based on the up and down side of both dogs.

#5 ·
Thanks for the responses! I talked to him and they are actually expecting two litters, one of the females is "EIC affected" but the puppies will not be carriers since the male is not affected. The other litter is "EIC clear"... I will not be breeding my dog so is there any reason to stay clear of the one litter? Thanks again.

#6 ·
ADF said:
Thanks for the responses! I talked to him and they are actually expecting two litters, one of the females is "EIC affected" but the puppies will not be carriers since the male is not affected.
There are three status when it comes to EIC clearance (the same for CNM as well) - clear, carrier or affected. Many people get confused with the differences between carrier and affected status. Are you sure the female is affected?? If she is a CARRIER and shows good traits for being bred and the sire is CLEAR (not just "not affected") there is no reason not to take a pup out of either of the litters.

IMO an affected female, should not be bred. There are too many good clear / carrier dogs out there to be breeding a dog who has tested positive as affected whether you are talking about either EIC or CNM.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.