Pile Work

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Pile Work

Postby cn44 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:33 pm

Did some pile work with Kirby this morning. Decided to set up the GoPro and mess around with it a little bit. I know you can't see a whole lot other than him pick up the bumper, but if you have any tips or see anything please share. We are running it at about 40 yards.

cn44
hunter

Re: Pile Work

Postby LaRedneck » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:33 pm

Not bad as a whole but if you want some nit-picking advice/suggestions......work on hold better to prevent cigaring. IMO make each cast the same such as the first few times it seemed as you casted by name and the next few time you pushed by your leg and hands. If your looking for a more left or right cast push him with your leg to align up his spin and nose to your desired casting area.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby cn44 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:13 pm

Only the first send was by name since technically it was a mark since he saw me throw it. Every other time was on "back". Mixed between front finish left and right turns and a few from the side. The cigaring definitely needs to get cleaned up. I think shorter ropes on my bumpers will help some with that. He seems to step on them a lot and thinks its fun to grab by the rope and have the bumper swing around while he runs.

Thanks for the advice. Hard to tell if he's somewhat flaring within the first ten or so yards when I send him or if he was just being lazy with his turns today.
cn44
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:53 pm

one thing I saw and I will say im new at this as well but you move a lot a the line. I couldn't hear very much but when you do the front sit send after you toss the bumper away give it a few secs to get the dog to look at you blow the whistle wait a sec or two then give a slow cast and don't step forward. also not sure if you are but start slipping non verbal cast in and keep doing that till there is no verbal the cast. cause you want that verbal later when you start getting farther away and diversion marks.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby cn44 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:18 pm

Awesome insight. I see how much movement after I watch it again. I was fighting trying to get him to finish in front. He kept trying to swing around and heel by me. So today we worked a lot of front finish sits. Good advice on getting him to focus after I discard the bumper.

Video was taken with GoPro with the waterproof case. Next time I'll switch the back out so more sound will show up.
cn44
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:42 am

cn44 wrote: Hard to tell if he's somewhat flaring within the first ten or so yards when I send him or if he was just being lazy with his turns today.

Couldn't hear much audio either, but dog is running out to the right on some SENDS from the line and crossing back in a better line halfway to the pile, particularly on the 1st mark that was tossed.
Other than that it looked like pup is running a nice decent line to the pile, but that may change as the pile gets farther away later, and I wouldn't nit pic that to death. It's not all about running a straight, perfect line, but you don't want to create a hotspot and have the dog running crappy bannana lines to it either.

Curious- are you using collar pressure forcing him BACK in any of this ?
Secondly- do you always initially toss a bumper in the pile, (if so, why?)
:beer:
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby cn44 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:47 am

I applied pressure on probably 3 of the 9 sends.

I threw a mark out to it because we ran out of space and moved to a new spot and thought I should identify where the pile was for him his first time running it here.

I have never done this before so if I'm not doing things correctly let me know. I'm trying to follow TRT as best I can but I sure as heck ain't no Mike Lardy so if it's not right feel free to tell me.
cn44
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:03 am

cn44 wrote:I applied pressure on probably 3 of the 9 sends.

I threw a mark out to it because we ran out of space and moved to a new spot and thought I should identify where the pile was for him his first time running it here.

I have never done this before so if I'm not doing things correctly let me know. I'm trying to follow TRT as best I can but I sure as heck ain't no Mike Lardy so if it's not right feel free to tell me.

Gotcha' :thumbsup:
That's what I figured you were doing.
Lemme' toss this at 'ya-
You don't want to get into a "rut" of having to toss a bumper into the pile to encourage the dog to go. Once the pile gets farther away you're not going to be able to do that anymore.

Consider walking the dog out to the pile to identify it and then walk back to the line.
That way-
Once the pile isn't as visible to the dog, he won't need a "mark" to get him to run out.
And if you get a no-go, and you're following Lardy closely, you'll know what to do.
Your dog did well by picking up the mark you threw amongst the other bumpers, but he did appear to want to shop the pile after he picked it up.
Could be wrong, but it was as if the pile came as a "surprize" to him once he got there.
Did he watch you plant the bumpers?
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby cn44 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:42 am

No, I don't think he was watching me plant them. he was off taking a dump. I should have made him sit and watch me.
cn44
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:10 pm

cn44 wrote:No, I don't think he was watching me plant them. he was off taking a dump.

:lol:

I should have made him sit and watch me.

Try that.
It's a good idea to physically take the dog to the pile and let him identify it. Then omit the tossed bumper to initially "kick" him off.
Nothin' in the world wrong with helping the dog initially as you've done, but might as well get the "training wheels" off now.

You're laying down some important fundamentals. You're forcing him BACK.

Later when the dog begins to run blinds, there won't be a tossed bumper to give him a visual cue where to run to.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Hunting Dog Forum