Sending a two year old for professional training

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Sending a two year old for professional training

Postby vicjake » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:09 am

Hey guys,
Im late in the game but have an okay start with my two year old lab. He has basic obedience: sit, heel, here, fetch(sit is not as steady as I want); loves guns and gun shots, exposed to every environment with no problem, loves water(every temperature), lots of retrieve drive, quick learner and not stubborn or timid. He's a great balance of eagerness to please and drive. But he needs direction that I can't provide. I would like to compete in akc hunt tests. Im currently seeking a professional trainer but in your experience, how long should I expect training to take since he is two. How long to campaign him for a title(JH, prefer SH, would love MH).
Thanks,
Victoria
vicjake
hunter

Re: Sending a two year old for professional training

Postby i_willie12 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:00 am

Older dogs can take a little longer! Have trained several "older" dogs for people... You spend the first month breaking bad habits and re-training the dog!!! But once they learn they have to do it your way they learn normally just as fast as a pup But it will still take 3-4 months probably for a JH and SH title is hard to judge because some dogs can do blinds and some dogs cant... That is hard to put a time table on!! Some dogs pick up piles, back, casting drill, and T work fast.... Some take months!!!!
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Re: Sending a two year old for professional training

Postby labman63 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:18 pm

I just got a 1.5 yr old female in and owner wants to run HT. After having her and seeing her drive the first two two days I entered her in my clubs HT. We had 10 days to get it right. I worked my butt off to get her ready(exceptional dog) and just yesterday, 2 days before the test she comes in heat. I guess we keep training and run next month. If she wouldn't have came in heat and as long as we didn't have a training train wreak she prob would have titled in 3 to 4 weeks after I got her,again this is an exceptional dog that can mark and has drive. All 4 grandparents are FC's and one was NFC. She is probably the highest drive dog I have had to date. Lots of fun to train and run.......so far.
labman63
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum