weim-a-dors

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

weim-a-dors

Postby duckaholic_16p » Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:49 pm

What would happen if my lab breed my weimarianer? I know puppies but what do you guys think they would turn out like? I cant help but think they would make good hunters and great pets. My lab has some "pointing lab" in him so they should make good upland game dogs.. Both have webbed feet and fetch great so they should make good retreives as well...I'd be interested in your opinions.
Thanks Mike
duckaholic_16p
hunter

Postby phillipstd » Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:05 am

we just did that, lab was the sire, they are only about nine weeks old and I'm only training one and I think I might have picked the wrong one, it's not as aggressive as I like but I'm sure she'll be fine, half were chocolate and half are were grey but now there is a little longer brown hair creeping in on their backs, tails are all docked, they look pretty cool we'll see how they work. I think next time I do something like this I want to try a german wire hair and a chesapeake, what do you think??
phillipstd
hunter

Postby mfetter » Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:08 am

I think neither of you have any clue about breeding dogs :pissed: Leave the breeding to the professionals---Why would you think that you would get any better of a dog when breeding those two? There is a lot more that goes into breeding dogs than I think that if I breed my lab with my weimi that it will look cool. Are either dogs from good hunting lines? If so why would you do that to the pedigree?

Dont you think if there was some sort of benifit to doing this that some one would have done it and there would be a breed of this out there.

This is what you call back yard breeding, and why the pounds are over flowing with mutts.

Dont be as dumb as your post and leave it to someone who knows what they are doing. :pissed:
mfetter
hunter

Postby Kandy » Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:45 pm

I don't know much about the temperments of either dog, but please be sure you take into mind the kind of people you would want your puppies going to. If these are working dogs you need them to go to people who understand what these dogs need. I have found a lab pointer mix most likely from the same thinking... but he has to much energy and has been dumped and now lays in my hands. I jsut don't want this to be your dog's offspring.
Kandy
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:00 am

I think I'm going to have to go with mfetter on this one. There is a lot more that goes into breeding dogs than just thinking it would be cool or thinking it would produce some "good" dogs.

When professionals breed dogs, there is an intended purpose on the breeding and the overall purpose should be to improve the breed. I've never heard of the weim a dor breed. Don't let the labradoodles and golden doodles out there make you think that mutts are the way to go.

Another thing, both the breeds you mention definately don't need any more bad breeding. The good hunting weim is getting harder to come by, because everybody thinks they are so "cool" looking. Saw two in the pet store last week and it made me sick watching everyone walk by and say how "cool" they look. The lab doesn't need any explanation about the bad breeding that it has been through.

One more before I close this long post. Have you ever heard of OFA, how are the dog's bite, what is the pedigree like in the past 3 generations???

Lot more to think about than throwing a bitch and dog together and hoping for the best.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby duckaholic_16p » Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:42 am

Well i think mfetter and gsp are taking this alittle personal. I simply asked for your thoughts, dont think theres anyneed to call me dumb. You two are taking this like im try to start some huge master race of dog. Im not, im talking about one litter.
mfetter this was kinda silly :pissed: ? Why get all bent outta shape over a question.
duckaholic_16p
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:25 am

Do you know how many puppies can be in one litter? Is there a big demand for "Weim a dors" never heard of em and never heard of anyone asking for em either. How do you plan on finding good homes for say ten mutt puppies?
I do take this a little personal!!! I hate seeing working dogs that don't get a chance to work. There is no need to add to this by producing mutts.

I'm definately not calling you dumb, I don't even know you. I am asking you to consider what all goes into breeding dogs. Lot's of work, time, money, and consideration.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby mfetter » Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:00 am

I didnt say you were dumb I said your post was dumb.

I do take it personally as well---I am VERY into training and testing my dogs. I searched for over a year to find my gsp and then was on a waiting list for 8mo.

Why?-----Becuase that is what it takes to find good dogs from good lines

Why?----Because of back yard breeders and every joe smo thinking there dog is outstanding when truth be told it is just like every other dog that has had half A** training.

You said you wanted to do "just one litter"

your not getting just one puppy you are getting anywhere from 6-12 of your weimadors--How many people that are really looking for a good dog are going to want one your creations.

What happens when one of your buyers cant take care of the dog any more--Are you going to take it--Most good breeders will take any one of their dogs back at any time for any reason.

Listen to reason and dont put your self into the back yard breeder catagory--Take the time and money that you would have for your weimadors and spend it on testing and training either of the dogs--then you will see how "special" they are.
mfetter
hunter

Re: weim-a-dors

Postby BLKLABMAN » Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:18 pm

duckaholic_16p wrote:What would happen if my lab breed my weimarianer? I know puppies but what do you guys think they would turn out like? I cant help but think they would make good hunters and great pets. My lab has some "pointing lab" in him so they should make good upland game dogs.. Both have webbed feet and fetch great so they should make good retreives as well...I'd be interested in your opinions.
Thanks Mike

I would call them what they are... Mutt's.
BLKLABMAN
hunter

Postby phillipstd » Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:35 am

your being pretty ignorant, notice I did not say I breed two retarted dogs to get a whole bunch of them and then give them away to all the people I know, yes I know their lines yes I know their pedigrees, yes I know their temprements, how in the world do you think new breeds come along, you find them under your rug, a stork brings them?? just stick to the labs buddy, I think I can handle my own dogs and screen my own puppy buyers, if I want to mix it up a little then I will, if nobody ever did you wouldn't have your dog, you think all hunting dogs came from black labs?? sure and their the best ones right, thats another thing you don't have a clue about. stick to what you know cause it isn't dogs.
phillipstd
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:08 am

Sorry, you're still not selling the mutt idea to well. Here is what you said in your original post "I think next time I do something like this I want to try a german wirehair and a chesapeake. Now in your latest post, you ask how new breeds come about. Let me tell you this, it is not by randomly TRYING different breeds of dogs to try and see if the outcome is COOL.
Let me ask you this. What is your overall goal in these mutt breedings? What will this wirehair x chessie or your weim x lab cross do for you that is worth making mutt puppies for.

I'm sorry, but I do think he has at least a clue about dogs because he knows what mutts are. Here is what they are: A dog of two or more different breeds. There really is no room for argument there.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby IBBoykin » Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:43 pm

breeding two breeds of unknown origin spells disaster waiting to happen. Even if both were champions from champion lines, does not mean their puppies will be champions. Like the one post said, leave the breeding to the professionals.
Breeding and Training Boykin Spaniels, a True American Gundog
IBBoykin
hunter

Postby mfetter » Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:12 pm

Have you tested either of the dogs? Where did you get the weimi from---If it was from any good HUNTING breeder then I am sure they would be knocking down your door to take the dog back--If they knew of this STUPID idea.

If you have tested either of the dogs through which organazation--How did they score--What makes you think that you have two dogs worth breeding--

You said you werent happy with the temperments--Is it man or fur--Were you breeding to get this?

If you knew the first thing about breeding you would know that enviroment has a MUCH bigger role in temperment than breeding does.

No matter how you look at it they are MUTTS--Not suitable for further breeding.

Not only that, but none of your MUTTS could be tested through an organazation because they wont be recognized as a true breed--

What are your goals in breeding these two?

You dont have the first clue about true versatile dogs or breeding to get specific traits. You now have a litter of MUTTS that are just going to add to the already increasing number of MUTTS in the pound and running the streets.
mfetter
hunter

Postby BLKLABMAN » Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:14 pm

phillipstd wrote:your being pretty ignorant, notice I did not say I breed two retarted dogs to get a whole bunch of them and then give them away to all the people I know, yes I know their lines yes I know their pedigrees, yes I know their temprements, how in the world do you think new breeds come along, you find them under your rug, a stork brings them?? just stick to the labs buddy, I think I can handle my own dogs and screen my own puppy buyers, if I want to mix it up a little then I will, if nobody ever did you wouldn't have your dog, you think all hunting dogs came from black labs?? sure and their the best ones right, thats another thing you don't have a clue about. stick to what you know cause it isn't dogs.

No I do not think black labs are the only color, or only dogs out there. But they do happen to be my favorite. Your grasping and throwing out insults because I said something that you did not like. Oh well, I'm calling a Spade a Spade
Where is the CERF, PENN, OFA??Does either dog have a single point??
Didnt think so. But that really does not matter, does it. The pups are not/will not be recognized by any group. So once again they are unwanted, undesirable.... MUTTS.
I have trained/ ran FT/HT in both the AKC and the UKC, and bred Labs since 1984. It is obvious a mile away you have NO clue about breeding, or breeding to bring out the BEST traits of the breed.
These dogs are not worth any futher consideration, and should not have been breed at all. Period
Your just another backyard breeder pretending to be something your not, screwing up the breeds in the process. I'm sure the people at the pound enjoy you and your kind. Your what's keeping them in business.
As I said. .... MUTTS.... Nothing more
BLKLABMAN
hunter

Postby brucemacp » Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:56 pm

Been following this discussion and just to throw my two cents in I think it would be better to go to the pound and rescue a mixed breed dog of the type you are proposing to breed. First, there are plenty of dogs of mixed hunting pedegree that could use a good home. Second, I'm sure you've done your homework but alot of breeds have the same recessive genetic traits that can cause all kinds of problems. It would be a shame to subject these pups to ongoing health problems for the sake of experimentation. By the way I do hunt with a mixed breed dog (that I got from the pound) and he happens to be outstanding but I had him spayed because he is a mixed breed and I don't think it's worth the risk of seeing whether he's the next great breed or just a lucky cross.
Kobie the wonder dog says" Hunting seasons over? Wake me up around noon"
brucemacp
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Sun Mar 13, 2005 3:34 pm

I agree with most of the guys that mixing breeds just for fun is not a good practice if it happend by accident that you lab was bred by your weimaraner then you need to pay more attention. If you want something different then go out and buy it or pick up an interesting cross from the pound. But please don't add to the problem of too many dogs that no one wants. I don't think you are dumb but you need to ask yourself why would I intentionaly create this cross and what will the consequences be?
Just my view for what its worth.

Keep shooting, your bound to hit something.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Sun Mar 13, 2005 6:46 pm

I was thinking about this topic the other day, but didn't really want to bring it up again. Since it was brought up, I was just wandering if the breeding actually happened?
gsphunter
hunter

Postby gahunter » Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:16 pm

I will admit that I don't know the first thing about breeding dogs (so go on and start blasting like you are blasting everybody else). The best dogs that I have ever had were mutts. They are the most endearing and loveable pets that I have ever had. Some of you should just get off of your high-horses and let the man do whatever the hell he wants. They are his dogs and if he wants to breed them than let him. I'm sure that he can find homes for these dogs. I would take one. Who gives a flying fart, other than you purists, if it isn't a recognized breed. If it makes a good pet and a faithful companion then you have got yourself a damn good dog. Let him try it and see. If you don't agree with it, then don't breed any weim a dors yourself. :hammering: I have a buddy that had a litter of jackbulls (half jack russell and half american bull dawg) and they were great dogs, so back off and let the man make puppies. As long as they aren't just dumped at the nearest trash dumpster or pound (as most here think they will be if they aren't perfect dogs) it is fine with me. :thumbsup:
If the hunting is cold, luckily so is the beer!
gahunter
hunter

Postby duckdog » Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:59 am

Wow this whole deal sound's like a personal war!! :laughing: I don't think he's trying to start a new breed by any meen's, just want's a pup out of these dog's. First of all if it happen's I would make sure there are home's for all the dog's, and that they are good ones! Please don't try to sell them by no means( now that would be an insult to dog humanity :laughing: )If people were going to pay for a dog I hope they pay for a purebred dog. I know absalutley nothing about breeding, that is why I don't do it, I do know you can have the greatest pedigree's in the world, or the scroungiest looking mutt in the world and it all comes down to, whoever spend's the time and train's the dog correctly. My yellow lab is akc registered, his pedigree is'nt all that great, got him from my neighbor, spent alot of time working with him, and for me he doe's an outstanding job. Somewhere in duck hunting chat there is a post about legal mean's and if you don't agree with them would you bash them. I have'nt heard of any law about breeding different breed's. Do I a agree with it NO, am I going to personally bash people about it NO, to each there own :salude:
Any day in the outdoor's is better than at work
duckdog
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:24 am

Duckdog: On pedigrees: I agree just about any dog can be trained to hunt, but why not start with a promising background.

gahunter: We are talking hunting dogs here not just a family pet. I agree that there are good mutts out there, but why intentionally breed mutts? Also what's wrong with being a purist? The purists are what got us this far in the hunting dog world, so why not stick with what works? Another thing just because you have a mutt breeding doesn't mean they are a combination of the names of both breeds. Jackbulls do not exist. In my eyes golden doodles, labradoodles, or whatever other mutt breedings are out there are just that, mutt breedings.

Look at golden retrievers. How many do you see hunting any more? Not many is the correct answer. That is because of poor breeding choices. Everybody thought they make great pets, and they do. But the problem is that people forgot about the hunting part of the dog and just bread because they had great pets. Thus the hunt was bread out of many golden retrievers. That is not to say that there are many great HUNTING goldens out there, but they are alot harder to find than they once were.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:40 am

AKC is going to recognize (or maybe they already have) the damn Labra-Doodle as a new breed of dog. (lab - poodle mix)

it's all downhill from there....
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:47 am

And that hill is steep Swamp Puppy. Every back yard breeder with a lab or a poodle will be hooking just to make a quick buck. Sad!
gsphunter
hunter

Postby phillipstd » Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:15 pm

some people have very very narrow vision. fallow the crowd if that's what makes you happy, unlike some I don't need to fallow I will make my own trail, and I'm not creating a mutt puppy mill like you think if these dogs were not desirable I would not have bred them. labradoodles will become a breed because there desirable, just like poodlepointers. What do you think If the best lab and an awsome hunt worthy poodle were bred the puppys should be shot cause there worthless mutts, I dont' realy see them as mutts, by the way the pup I kept is doing awsome, I'm glad I bred them, I had 6 homes before I bred them, :hammering: I wish the goverment was more like you maybe the could have put a red tag on your parents NO BREEDING!!!! we don't want to have any messed up mutt kids running around slamming into walls and drooling on themselfs. just playin dont' take that too hard, but seriously, why do you think that a dog must be recognized by the akc/ukc to be a good breed, you caint judge for yourself, maybe I'm just too open minded.
phillipstd
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:12 pm

glad to hear your pups did / are doing well. now if you will excuse me..i think my drooling slobbering kid just stabbed himself in the eye with a crayon.
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Mon Mar 14, 2005 3:33 pm

Phillipstd: I know you said you are kidding, but you might want to be careful. I have heard alot of PETA garbage comparing dogs and humans.

You say you had homes for the puppies, but how many of your puppies went to hunting homes???

Don't you think you could have got a good dog from a reputable lab or weim breeder?

What if every body who owned a dog decided there dog was worthy enough to breed?

Gahunter: I used to think just like you before I learned how the dog world works. I figured who cares if a guy wants to breed his dog. Why should it bother anybody else. Then I became informed about the overpopulation in the country and how dog breeds become better. Neither one of these things are answered by indiscriminant breeding.
gsphunter
hunter

Next

Return to Hunting Dog Forum