weim-a-dors

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, swampbilly 1980, captainkevan

Postby Greg Wile » Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:55 pm

:withstupid: Except for the statement huntingwife made about cats. :laughing: [perfectly good cats] was or is there any such beast? :laughing: :laughing: Only kidding, everything has a purpose.
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby HuntingWife » Sat Apr 02, 2005 4:39 pm

Thanks for sticking up for me, guys. :smile: I'm all about lively discussion, but things had gotten a little nasty around this topic, and I didn't want to play anymore. But I really appreciate the words of encouragement.

P.S. Cats serve a very important purpose, as a matter of fact! Just ask our puppy (future hunting dog extraordinaire). Our family cat has already provided him with endless hours of chasing and being chased, as well as teaching him how to duck and weave when the cat gets tired of being barked at and takes a swipe at him! :smile:
HuntingWife
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:48 pm

Things were not getting nasty in this thread. Different ideas were been tossed back and forth. Nobody was correcting grammar and telling people to pay attention and attacking other people until Hunting Wife joined the discussion.

Swamp Puppy, I agree with you that people who jump in with both feet are admireable,but before people jump in the water though they should know how to swim.

Cabelas Boy do you think you could swim in a dog discussion? I'll discuss it with you if you think you can. (not ignorantly, just discussion) I don't think anybody should be ashamed of anything like you said I and others who agree with me should be. Opposing view points are nothing to be ashamed about. This reminds me of your post in the Conservation forum about Bush. I support Bush wholeheartedly, but that doesn't mean other people should shut up who don't support him.

There can be discussion without attacking the people who hold those viewpoints, and please remember being educated on a particular topic goes a long way. I probably would have agreed with you guys two years ago, but then I became educated in the dog world. This does not mean that I am a dog expert by any means because I'm not at all, but I do know and am still learning quite a bit.
Brian
"Because a duck is just a 3 pound critter"
Keith Allen
gsphunter
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:24 pm

Greg Wile wrote::withstupid: Except for the statement huntingwife made about cats. :laughing: [perfectly good cats] was or is there any such beast? :laughing: :laughing: Only kidding, everything has a purpose.

and the purpose of cats is??........... :hammering:

GSP wrote:
Swamp Puppy, I agree with you that people who jump in with both feet are admireable,but before people jump in the water though they should know how to swim.

a point you will never hear an argument out of me about... :thumbsup:
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby mfetter » Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:25 pm

cabelas boy I dont think could swim, If I have this correct he just asked in another post what GSP stood for.
mfetter
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:11 am

[GSP] Good Sense and Personality? :salude: Don't be so uptight we ain't all rocket scientists. And cats what is their purpose? :help: To fill the void in a persons life that cann't have a dog or doesn't want a loyal companion. :smile:
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:18 pm

Ya i can swim pm me.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby gahunter » Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:54 pm

gsphunter wrote:Things were not getting nasty in this thread. Different ideas were been tossed back and forth. Nobody was correcting grammar and telling people to pay attention and attacking other people until Hunting Wife joined the discussion.

Cabelas Boy do you think you could swim in a dog discussion? I'll discuss it with you if you think you can. (not ignorantly, just discussion) I don't think anybody should be ashamed of anything like you said I and others who agree with me should be. Opposing view points are nothing to be ashamed about. This reminds me of your post in the Conservation forum about Bush. I support Bush wholeheartedly, but that doesn't mean other people should shut up who don't support him.

There can be discussion without attacking the people who hold those viewpoints, and please remember being educated on a particular topic goes a long way. I probably would have agreed with you guys two years ago, but then I became educated in the dog world. This does not mean that I am a dog expert by any means because I'm not at all, but I do know and am still learning quite a bit.

You must not remember the posts by you or mfetter earlier in this topic. You two gave enough sarcasm and backhanded remarks for everybody well before huntingwife got anywhere near this thing. :pissed:
If the hunting is cold, luckily so is the beer!
gahunter
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:45 pm

Gahunter you are right. I couldn't remember every post that I made on this topic, so I went back and reviewed them. Please quote where I made any personal attacks to any people who held opposing views from me. Just because you do not agree with a statement doesn't make it backhanded. Some may have been sarcastic, but show me a personal attack that I made that is irrelevant to the topic at hand.

Greg I agree everyone is not rocket scientists, but then again I don't try to prove points in rocket science. I would look extremely stupid!
Brian
Keith Allen
gsphunter
hunter

Postby phillipstd » Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:34 pm

I hate/love all ya'll, I think we need to disagree about stuff and have discusions like this one, I caint stand what some people say or do and I'm sure lots of people caint stand what I say and do, thats life if it wern't like that it would be pretty boring, that cabelas boy, who cares, at least he's enthusiastic, he writes allot on here, I don't even have time to read all the posts everyday let allone respond to a bunch, anyway's you guys had that bullet bourbon yet?? we need to get together and have some :salude:
phillipstd
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:42 pm

Cabelas Boy- once again you post about something when you have no knowledge on the subject. Cross breedings account for a lot of crappy labs/lab mixes. I can understand why guys are so passionate about not wanting people to cross breed dogs.

Cabelas Boy wrote:calm down jeese. You all say MUTTS like its something grose a dog is a dog it doesnt matter what his ancestors did if you train him right hell do what you want him to do. I have a lab who has no hunting background and picked it up on his own without any training, he is awsome at hunting. Then i have a beagle whose mom is a 7 time champion, and he cant hunt worth a darn, but there both still the best dogs in the world. You a should be ashamed. He said he wanted a hunting and family dog. Sounds like all you guys want is a dog to hunt. Not to be a companion or anything. Some people care more about the dog than the pedigree, some dogs are actually a mans best friend not a mans best worker. If your so concerned with "mutts" in the pound MFETTER either go save some, or go join up with PETA! :pissed: You all are taking this way to seriously. And back off of hunting mom jeese.
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:45 pm

Great post gsp. I am with you on this one. I don't think a lot of people see the over all picture with cross breeding.

gsphunter wrote:I think I'm going to have to go with mfetter on this one. There is a lot more that goes into breeding dogs than just thinking it would be cool or thinking it would produce some "good" dogs.

When professionals breed dogs, there is an intended purpose on the breeding and the overall purpose should be to improve the breed. I've never heard of the weim a dor breed. Don't let the labradoodles and golden doodles out there make you think that mutts are the way to go.

Another thing, both the breeds you mention definately don't need any more bad breeding. The good hunting weim is getting harder to come by, because everybody thinks they are so "cool" looking. Saw two in the pet store last week and it made me sick watching everyone walk by and say how "cool" they look. The lab doesn't need any explanation about the bad breeding that it has been through.

One more before I close this long post. Have you ever heard of OFA, how are the dog's bite, what is the pedigree like in the past 3 generations???

Lot more to think about than throwing a bitch and dog together and hoping for the best.
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:22 pm

and once again you discriminate against mixes or mutts. If you werent a moderater you would be hearing more from me, go pick on some one your own size. :pissed:

(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby 98ramtough » Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:35 pm

My chessie came from the humaine society. He looks purebred but may be a "Mut". He is a great dog, but took a lot of work to make into a good dog. My dog would have been put down if I hadn't of rescued him. He probably ended up at the humane society from inexperienced people breeding dogs.

Mike
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby mfetter » Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:13 pm

Cabelas boy,

I have nothing against mutts, I am just letting others know why they should not breed period or cross breed dogs. The majority of people who have dogs think that their dog is "something special" when infact their dog is JUST like every other dog. Unfortunatly most people cant come to terms with that, and alot of dogs get put into pounds and euthanized. This discussion did not start out as a disaproval of non pure bred dogs nor do I attend on taking it there. What did I tell you about typing on subjects that you know nothing of. Put your hands back in your pockets.
mfetter
hunter

Postby had » Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:11 am

cabelas wrote:
and once again you discriminate against mixes or mutts. If you werent a moderater you would be hearing more from me, go pick on some one your own size.

what the heck is that???
This site is about having some fun, learning, helping others, and enjoying the commaradre' of other waterfowl hunters. And if you do not like those 4 things, then do not let the door hit you on the way out of here.
had
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:20 am

Had here is how he described it to me. Since his name says Cabelas BOY he deserves special treatment when he sticks his neck out on the line making comments in which he has no knowledge on. He likes his internet muscles to make comments to other people, but then wants protection because his name says he's a boy.
As for the moderator comment. I don't know what that means.

Nobody is discriminating against mutts (are these people we are talking about, it sounds weird writing dog and discriminate together). Mutts though should not be intentionally bred. There are plenty at the local pound that could be adopted if that is what you want.
Brian
Keith Allen
gsphunter
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:34 pm

You have no right to say that i didnt say anything like that. :pissed:

Gooseboy
Banned

Previous

Return to Hunting Dog Forum