labrador inside or outside

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

labrador inside or outside

Postby killzone70 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:49 pm

hey guys I have a 13 week old yellow lab and he is an inside dog right now. stays in his kennel at night. he does really good with going to his kennel for bed time. But he is not doing good potty training, he pees in his kennel if left in there over 4 hours and seems like he pees more than once. So the wife is wanting to make him an outside dog. He has a fenced in yard and i would build/buy him a dog house. just wanting some tips for potty training, and also do any of you keep your labrador retreiver outside? Im nervous about keeping him outside and im not sure why.
killzone70
hunter

Re: labrador inside or outside

Postby Max4Holly » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:20 pm

Take water away a few hours before you go to bed, make sure the last thing you do before bed is take him out one last time. Not sure where your from but I personally wouldn't leave a pup that young outside for long periods. Try the water thing I've never had my current female have an accident in the kennel or inside...except that one time she found a rotting deer carcass in the woods, but that's a whole different story!
Max4Holly
hunter

Postby killzone70 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:25 pm

Im from ky. thanks for the help we have been taking the water away from him and it hasnt helped much. he will stay outside for a few hours and then come inside to pee. smh.
killzone70
hunter

Postby Tera Lanczak » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:10 am

For a 13 week old pup about 4 hours is the length of time they can hold it. Puppies have to potty often. Its like having a new baby, lots of diaper changing(crate cleaning and potty time) and sleepless nights (potty breaks). Crate training is beneficial for the long haul. A clean puppy is a much easier traveling adult dog. The little guy needs your nurturing hand and interaction to develop into a bold confident dog. I don't advocate putting him in an outdoor kennel overnight. Too many bad things can happen when the little ones are left to their own entertainment in a bigger area. Proper socialization and positive exposure to all things new in a gradual process is best. http://www.forcefetch.com/blog/2013/10/teras-training-tip-of-the-day-48/ Not to mention the many unforeseen dangers an outdoor kennel can have; getting legs, collars, or heads caught up in the fence or getting stuck under kennel bars. Puppies can freak out in these cases and hurt themselves with you never knowing. I have horror stories that are too graphic to share about pups left in outdoor kennels unattended. We usually expose a pup to outdoor kennel building up increments of time spent in it, observe how they adjust and never leave them alone overnight in outdoor kennel until about 5 to 6 months old.

The sequence of crate training should be: air(have pup potty), then play in house, air again, put in crate to rest, pup wakes up or 3 to 4 hours later, air pup, back in crate (or playtime and air again), pup eats or drinks, air immediate, back in crate for nap, pup wakes, air again. If a pup has an accident during process pup needs to air, and go back in clean crate, then once he/she settles, air again, and back in crate. Very important to see pup potty before they get put away. Once pup gets used to routine they will sound off and let you know when its time to air. Seems tedious, I know but puppy belly's and bladders are tiny. Whenever they eat, drink, play for more than 10 minutes, or wake from a nap they need to potty right away. I usually keep two same sized crates in the house. That way if pup soils one I still have a clean one to put pup in while I clean extra crate with a mild dish soap. Sometimes no bedding in crate is best. This allows for you to catch accidents. Some puppies like to soil bedding, a bad habit to break. When you get them sleeping through the night without an accident you are really making progress.

Routine in Care : http://www.forcefetch.com/blog/2013/10/teras-training-tip-of-the-day-45/

Consistency Is Key: http://www.forcefetch.com/blog/2013/09/training-tip-of-the-day-28/

Take a Positive Approach: http://www.forcefetch.com/blog/2013/09/teras-training-tip-of-the-day-26/

Hope this helps!
Tera Lanczak
Trainer/Owner
Bay Blue Kennels
http://www.baybluekennels.com/
http://www.forcefetch.com/blog/
660-441-1605
"Building Champions"
Tera Lanczak
DHC Sponsor

Postby killzone70 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:22 am

Wow great information. By air you mean take outside to potty right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
killzone70
hunter

Postby GooseDog79 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:05 am

It took someone telling me this before I realized it. A little bit of mess on a pup is no big deal, just clean it off so they can do it again. It will all be over soon enough.
GooseDog79
hunter

Postby Dakota Creek » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:33 am

Along with the advice above, you also want to make sure that the crate area is not too large. If you have a large crate, use a divider to close off the back area of the crate giving the pup only enough area to stand up, turn around and lay down comfortably. As the puppy grows, this divider can be moved toward the back of the crate to give them more sleeping area.

By giving the puppy too much room in the crate allows them to use the back area to "potty" and them sleep in the clean front area. By not giving them the additional bathroom area pups generally keep their crate area cleaner.

I would also not be putting a pup that young outside.
GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
Dakota Creek's Long Shot
Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc
Dakota Creek
hunter

Postby killzone70 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:38 am

Thanks for the replies. The divider is up and just enough room to turn around and lay down. What age would you feel comfortable with leaving him outside?

killzone70
hunter

Postby Einstein » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:01 am

I've kept my yellow outside full time since the day I got him, at 7 weeks. He was brought home in may however, so it was warmer for him. He has done great! Even lately it has been below freezing, and he has weathered it like a champ. He does have a kennel and a roof over his head for the rain.
Einstein says: "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

Check out my build:
viewtopic.php?f=72&t=465930
Einstein
hunter

Postby Einstein » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:13 am

I'll also add I'm far from a professional, but that is my experience and it could not have been better. He was also on a concrete slab, so if he used the bathroom in the kennel I could bleach it, and pressure wash it. Couldn't be easier.
Einstein says: "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

Check out my build:
viewtopic.php?f=72&t=465930
Einstein
hunter

Postby Irishwhistler » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:36 am

killzone70 wrote:Thanks for the replies. The divider is up and just enough room to turn around and lay down. What age would you feel comfortable with leaving him outside?

Killzone,
In my area I would not feel comfortable at any age. I have seen up to three large coyote's running together (BAD NEWS), and have had a black bear kill a fenced in goat within a few miles of my home. There is also always the possibility of someone stealing a valued dog. Housebreak the dog properly, have him live inside with your family, and you will get far more out of your Lab than by kenneling him outside. JMHO. Good luck and enjoy your Lab. :thumbsup:

Cheers,
Irishwhistler

"TEAM TRAD" - Pro Staff
DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
Irishwhistler
hunter

Postby GarDuck » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:09 am

Giving pup the run of a backyard worries me and outdoor kennel is completely reasonable as long as you stay aware of the elements. For instance in the south heat without water or cooling is obvious;y looking for trouble. High drive labs can be remarkably mischievous when left to their own devices in any space.... Youve been warned!
GarDuck
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:29 pm

I keep my lab inside. Once she was 5 months old she stayed outside during the days while I was gone. She was pretty good since I kept a lot of toys in the yard for her to play with and tear up. The neighbors got a little punt dog that yapped all the time. I had to repair some fence boards she was trying to chew through and put bitter apple on the replaced boards and rest of the fence to stop that problem. She is almost 2 now and has no issues staying in the house all day without any accidents. She doesn't tear anything up in the house while alone. 5 months ago she wouldn't have been able to stay inside and behave. Now she does just fine every day of the week while I am at work.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby brsutton86 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:39 pm

For the first few weeks, I would set my alarm twice during the night and let potty. After a few weeks, once a night. A pup can't hold it all night. Every 3 hours at night and every hour during the day untill she went to the door when she needed out. A lot of people kennel outside, nothing wrong with it. I wouldn't have mine anywhere but inside. She's one of us. Sleeps with my daughter in her bed most nights. I also like that of someone is in the yard, she barks if she doesn't know them. She'll be on the other side of the house and run to the door when someone pulls up. Just an extra sense of security for the family. Dogs can sense things like crazy too. There was a crazy druggie on down my road with a gun trying to find his ex gf. He's a convicted felon with several warrants and helicopters were spotlighting searching as well as state police through our farm and the ones around it. I was out of state working. My wife was very nervous and she said Journey never left her side. Just my 2 pennies.
Livin' the hive life
Buy USA raw honey

Christian Waterfowlers Assoc.
http://www.thecwa.org
brsutton86
hunter

Postby A5Gunner » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:04 pm

I keep my AWS inside. As said before, the pup is just too little at this point. I got up in the middle of the night for a couple of months when she was that little and my wife let her out in the day afte no more than 4 hrs in the crate. At 1year she has only had a handful of accidents all this time. You just have to keep on it and let them out a lot as told by expert advise above.

Good Luck
You ain't right.......kinda touched in the head.
A5Gunner
hunter

Postby dogyak » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:22 pm

you have gotten good sound advise . You really didn't think this though when you got the puppy IMO . That pup is like a new born baby , would you expect a newborn to sleep though the night without being change . I treat my labs like family , raise with them as a kid , hunted and field trial . My personnel dogs stay in . Never had trouble with them being fully house trained within 3 weeks , but you've got to stay on a program .
dogyak
hunter

Postby Tera Lanczak » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:35 pm

killzone70 wrote:Wow great information. By air you mean take outside to potty right?

You got it! "Air" means hurry up and go potty so I can go back to sleep :wink:
Tera Lanczak
Trainer/Owner
Bay Blue Kennels
http://www.baybluekennels.com/
http://www.forcefetch.com/blog/
660-441-1605
"Building Champions"
Tera Lanczak
DHC Sponsor

Postby boontize2 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:05 pm

Especially now with pup cold air means piss and go back in and sleep or tear toys up 8week old pup had one accident in the house my fault he was waiting by the door no crate mess at all also hang jingle bells on the door shake em when u go take him out soon he will hit them to get ur attention then its hard to ignore no mess house dog and hunting dog only way he's a member of the family first and tool second
boontize2
hunter

Postby berudd » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:44 pm

Like someone else mentioned, I used to set alarms when my Lab was that young to take her out. 4 hours is a long time for that little bladder. I'm sure others have had good experiences doing otherwise but I think having the dog in the house make for a better hunting partner. Stronger bond if you will. Besides, why have a pet that you never spend time with? Just my opinion. We have two labs and a large mutt in the house. Sure, our couches show the wear but they're a part of the family.
berudd
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum