Deaf overnight?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Deaf overnight?

Postby talltimber » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:19 pm

Guys, I'm worried. My male lab Duke (9 yo) is deaf today, or at least mostly deaf. Hunted him yesterday, no issues noticed. He was in a nasty slough, but don't think he got his head wet. Slow hunt, no launch in deep water.
I got ready to go this morning and he was not in my hip pocket when I was getting camo on, which is unusual. I called him from out of site, from the back door, he didn't come. I came in to look at the couch where he was laying, and called him, and he came right on.
I grilled for lunch and he was laying in the sun on the deck. I took the meat off and started in, and told him to come on. Nothing. I told him to come on a couple more times, each time louder, finally raised up and come on in. There was a couple of more incidents.
I didn't really get to thinking about him being deaf until I came in from scouting this afternoon. Garage door opened and I drove in, shut truck off, no barking. That's odd. Came in the house, didn't meet me at the door, he was laying on the couch. I turned on the light and spoke to him and he looked startled, growled a little as he slid off the couch coming to me, like he didn't know me. He recognized me and it was bouncing and carrying on as usual. I mention all this just to give you some background on the last couple of days.
I've never heard of one going deaf overnight. I'm more than a little worried about him. Taking him to the vet tomorrow.
Have any of you heard of an incident like this?
talltimber
hunter

Re: Deaf overnight?

Postby GooseDog79 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:38 pm

Never heard of anything like that. Good luck, keep us posted
GooseDog79
hunter

Postby Holeinmywaders » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:27 pm

Ear infections? How does he react when you touch or scratch his ears?

Good luck and prayers.
Holeinmywaders
hunter

Deaf overnight?

Postby talltimber » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:59 am

No problems with that. No head shaking, nothing. Does act a little sluggish at times. Then other times he's perked up and moving around normally, particularly when we go outside.
He could hear me when I'd smooch to him this morning, so he's not totally deaf. Seems that way speaking quietly to him though. Maybe the vet can shed some light
talltimber
hunter

Deaf overnight?

Postby talltimber » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:13 am

Erhlichiosis Tick disease. Not deaf, just beat down so far he didn't care if you were calling him or not. Said his ears looked fine. Out for month. Meds for a month or so. Should come around.
It just hit him Saturday night.
Vet said he'd been seeing some of it around. Beagles in particular he said.
talltimber
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:48 am

dang ticks. sorry to hear about it but at least it is better than a dog going totally deaf.
I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby bigrick_2u » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:44 pm

Wow. Sorry about your dog but glad to hear he'll be ok. Thanks for the info!
"If you have totals of ducks you've killed this year, I count your point as invalid."
bigrick_2u
hunter

Postby talltimber » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:48 pm

I misunderstood my wife. Out two weeks til the checkup. May be released then. Meds for a month. He was acting pretty spry yesterday evening, butt-hurt I wouldn't throw him some bumpers.
talltimber
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum