Whining in the blind help!!!

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, swampbilly 1980, captainkevan

Whining in the blind help!!!

Postby Duckbusterkerr21 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:58 pm

I have a year and a half old pup that whines in the blind it's not very loud but I won't to brake him of it be for it gets worse. I don't let him out of the blind until he is quite just need some hints on getting him silent in the blind.
Duckbusterkerr21
hunter

Re: Whining in the blind help!!!

Postby alice » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:02 am

IF you attack other people on this forum, you will get a suspension/timeout/removal immediately. This is a place to talk about dogs for crying out loud, not a place to be a jerk continuously. If you keep doing it you're gonna have to find another place to do it.
eleather jackets http://www.eleatherjacket.me.uk/
white leather jacket white leather jacket
real tests www.realtests.com
ccie certification ccie certification
alice
Newb

Postby wanapasaki » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:24 am

alice wrote:IF you attack other people on this forum, you will get a suspension/timeout/removal immediately. This is a place to talk about dogs for crying out loud, not a place to be a jerk continuously. If you keep doing it you're gonna have to find another place to do it.

???????
Dude, my last dog did the same thing.. Iris.. "Hush" and i'd make her lay down. She wouldn't take her eyes off of me. When she would whine, I would hush her. Getting him to quiet down with a que, and constantly enforcing it will get him/her over it. I wouldn't be too worried about the whimpering anymore though. Wish my new pup had that kind of drive to fetch birds. In all reality, i might make your nerves uneasy on an exciting hunt, but remember, taking your dog, is like take a child hunting with the maturity of a 5 year old! Sounds like you have a dog with a hell of a drive.. Enjoy it!
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby Irishwhistler » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:10 am

Whining on the part of a Labrador gundogmis unacceptable behavior in a blind and should not ve tolerated inmother environments as well. The dog needs to be made known that it is not permissable to whine, and you need to make sure you and others that are constantly around your Lab, are not reinforcing this behavior in any way. A staunch program of effort to extinguish the whining behavior leading to extinction of any display of such behavior is highly recommended. Very few serious hunters will tolerate a whining retriever in their blind. Jump on it fast and relentlessly. Good luck.

Irishwhistler
"TEAM TRAD" - Pro Staff
DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
Irishwhistler
hunter

Postby Spry Yellowdog » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:21 am

Whining can be a real challange to stop. I don't believe most dogs that do it even know there doing it.
So correcting it or stopping it is tough since they don't understand what the correction is for. My advise is
try to get the dog to understand what it is doing then you have a base to work from. Also try to get them to relax.
Show them what quiet time is and that it's ok to just sit there and if they move they get corrected.
I also believe its heredity in many dog and that even make the challange larger. Good Luck....

Spry
With a Dog...You never hunt alone.
Spry Yellowdog
hunter

Postby talltimber » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:08 am

I agree. Mine did it, plus yipped, when really worked up and excited when ducks were close. It was my fault, one I won't make again if I ever start another one.
Live pigeons/ducks in training, as recommended by Rick Hall, Inda, and plenty of others. I followed a program, haven't looked back at it, but don't remember anything about live bird work. Maybe it did, and I blew it off, idk. But I think it is real important now on a dog with a lot of bird. I won't start another without them. Takes too long trying to quiet one on hunts. At the time, I didn't think that a guy could duplicate close enough the excitement of the hunt by using birds in the yard. I'm thinking now I was probably wrong.
talltimber
hunter

Postby Duckbusterkerr21 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:57 am

Thanks everybody for your advice.
Duckbusterkerr21
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum